Question on budget R2-D2 dome panels

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Rook

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I'm starting a budget R2 build using cardboard and styrene with a healthy dose of secondhand resin parts. I'm just trying to figure out the best approach a novice like myself should take to go about making all the panels on the dome. The dome I am using is a steel IKEA Brasa lampshade.

I was just going to paint on the panels but I'd like there to be some texture to the dome. Should I get some 1 mm styrene and heat form the sheets to the dome, cutting out the shapes I need or is it easy to use the dremel to etch the panel outlines in the dome? I suspect the steel will make for some difficulty in getting clean straight lines, especially on a rounded surface, but I don't know much about styrene. Does it heat form well? Does 1 mm sound like a good thickness? Any other ideas? I played around with the idea of using adhesive vinyl, but I'd like something a bit durable and it just feels like cheating using stickers.

I was going to ask on the astromech forums, but those guys are pretty hardcore and the few I talked to just tell me to spend the money and buy a laser cut aluminum or resin dome, but I think I'd rather take my time and do it myself. RPF members are a pretty do it yourself ingenious bunch, so I thought I'd get some advice from you all.

Thanks!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Jango Wes

Sr Member
there is a seller on astromech that makes vac formed styrene domes or you could do a WTB thread in the junkyard over there.
Take a look at how the domes are put together and just follow that lead. You should be able to find the templates for the panels on astromech as well.

zorg

Master Member
when i did mine i heated styrene on the inside of the dome and pushed it down with a towel to get the shape, it worked fine.

i sold it for 1200-1300 uk pounds so it must have been alright!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.