Quick (silly?) question about the Polar Lights 1/350 Refit Enterprise kit

wayouteast

Sr Member
As I continue to work on my 1/350 refit Enterprise, I've come across a small detail that's puzzling me, and I wonder if anyone might have an answer. Under the fantail, the ship has a small raised rectangular detail with a rounded rear end and a concave 'scoop' at the front. It's where the rear ventral navigation light sits. In the kit it's part number 260, and it's moulded in clear rather than white plastic.

It's not clear because of the running light, since that's a separate insert. I wondered if it might be because the 'scoop' at its front end conatins a spotlight or even a window, but every picture I've found of the studio model seems to show it as simply the same colour as the rest of the hull, and I haven't found any point in the various movies that shows a window or light in that position.

Does anyone know why this part should have been moulded in clear rather than white? Before I light-block it and paint it white like the hull!

As I continue to work on my 1/350 refit Enterprise, I've come across a small detail that's puzzling me, and I wonder if anyone might have an answer. Under the fantail, the ship has a small raised rectangular detail with a rounded rear end and a concave 'scoop' at the front. It's where the rear ventral navigation light sits. In the kit it's part number 260, and it's moulded in clear rather than white plastic.

It's not clear because of the running light, since that's a separate insert. I wondered if it might be because the 'scoop' at its front end conatins a spotlight or even a window, but every picture I've found of the studio model seems to show it as simply the same colour as the rest of the hull, and I haven't found any point in the various movies that shows a window or light in that position.

Does anyone know why this part should have been moulded in clear rather than white? Before I light-block it and paint it white like the hull!
It is a light underneath: this screencapture is from TrekCore, from the 2001 Director's cut of TMP:

themotionpicture1509.jpg

Also: don't know if you have seen this pic or not, but I found one of the part in question on the filming model from the front:
Untitled-1.jpg

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back