Question...blade runner blaster info

joker-scar

Hey guys...this might seem like a BR 101 question but i have gone through some of my studio BR info (presskits etc.) and I couldn't find any info on what exactly Rick Deckards blaster was called? is it even called a "blaster"? all the resin and metal props out there have their own number and letter combinations for naming their versions...but which is accurate to the world of BR? what would it say on Deckards gun permit etc...I'm getting a plaque made up for my resin version and want to know what would be accurate to describe the dawn thing.

The books and scripts all said he had a laser. Several concepts were developed including the "Black Hole" gun that eventually became the gun Leon fires at the beginning of the film, based on a Stephen Dane concept. The final gun was conceived as the prop guys found a Steyr SL reciever without its stock and barrel at a gun shop and thought it looked cool as a film noir gun, as opposed to the Syd Mead concept of a weapon that shot frozen nitrogen bullets that Ridley Scott thought would make a cool phone. There is no official name or concept on Deckard's gun. I think Ridley went with what looked good on film as opposed to wordy complex concept, leaving it open for all of us to interpret on our own. That might be why Rick Ross's versions name, the PKD, has stuck with these.

Andy

Last edited:
Hey guys...this might seem like a BR 101 question but i have gone through some of my studio BR info (presskits etc.) and I couldn't find any info on what exactly Rick Deckards blaster was called? is it even called a "blaster"?

I've wondered why it's referred a "blaster". I feel it's inaccurate. Forbidden Planet gun is a blaster. Guns in Star Wars check out. Dirty Harry didn't call his guns blasters so why is Deckards?

Yeah, while I have personally always liked the ring of "Blade Runner Blaster" I've always wondered where the heck it came from, and how it got coined as the "title" for a gun with absolutely no name. Paul Sammons wrote that he thought it was made from a flare gun for crying out loud and he was there on set a lot of the time.

I'm guessing it was just referred to as "Deckard's Gun" by the production.

When Deckard fires the gun at Roy, the round explodes when it hits the wall behind him. Giving us the idea that the ammo had an explosive/energy aspect as well as a projectile. Even though it has no beam like a SW gun, I think "Blaster" is appropriate to describe it.

Andy

What's this about press kits? :love

Yes the gun with no name, is commonly called "Deckard's Blaster," "Blade Runner Blaster," or "PKD" by fans, although since it has a prominent STEYR logo on the bottom, perhaps we should be calling it "Steyr." :lol

dsc05736n.jpg

And for all things Blade Runner, be sure to stop by the "Propsummit" board! :cool

Propsummit.com a Blade Runner Prop Community Forum BladeRunnerProps.comIndex

Karl

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back