Question about casting

BonesAreDollars

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I’ve been wanting to cast some things from silicon molds. My problem is when making the molds I’ve found that the master part (made with uv resin) doesn’t allow the silicone to cure properly. Is there a method of coating UV resin parts for use in mold making or should I try a different approach?

Tin vs silicone mold making material.

You can coat a master with xtc 3d and it should work.

Ive had paint that was on the master that reacted with mold making material as well.

I had this problem with a Smooth-On platinum silicone, no matter what I was molding it wouldn't cure all the way through. But I found it would cure if I gave it 3 days before removing the master, even though it was a 6 hour cure rubber.

Smooth-On's Mold Max XPS II is a tin silicone that hasn't given me any problems, it cures no matter what I use it on. It takes 24 hours but it's always done.

I had this problem with a Smooth-On platinum silicone, no matter what I was molding it wouldn't cure all the way through. But I found it would cure if I gave it 3 days before removing the master, even though it was a 6 hour cure rubber.

Smooth-On's Mold Max XPS II is a tin silicone that hasn't given me any problems, it cures no matter what I use it on. It takes 24 hours but it's always done.
I’ve been using the BBDINO platinum silicon with raw resin prints. I’ve found that a generous spray of Apel mold release helps. I pull all my masters after 4 hours, the mold is fully cured and no stickiness.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back