QMX TNG comm badge pre-order

So I finally got the 2nd copycat version in the mail. The alloy seems to be made out of copper instead of the 2-piece version you have that is pewter. I know this because I have the arrow part of that original 2-piece set from 1987, and also because some of the chrome paint is flaking off revealing new penny-like copper metal underneath. You can see some of that copper in the first photo on the backside of the arrow.

Anyway.. the copycat version is almost an exact match, but as Pulaski would say, it suffers from Replicative Fading. :)

Anyway, here are some pics. I am going to clean it up, paint and all as it has obviously been repainted over the years, and get my stuff ready to rebuild the two piece version.

Pic showing the original 2-piece arrow that I have with the copycat version:
IMG_0160.jpeg
Pic showing the original arrow over the copycat version.. same curvature and everything... pretty much a dead-on match
IMG_0159.jpeg
Pic showing the copycat version from the front.
IMG_0162.jpeg
So basically, I truly believe I have the original dimensions of the 2-piece oval based upon the copycat version I received today. It appears to have the right depth, width, and height.

So.. got the classic krylon 1701 bright gold paint and here are the new pics of that 3-piece combadge. Thought you badge lovers might enjoy a really nice turnout! Sure don't need that QMx knockoff when you can do something like this with paint! :)

IMG_0181.jpegIMG_0184.jpegIMG_0185.jpegIMG_0186.jpeg

looks great. What’s the history of this 3 piece badge. Never seen one.

A guy sells them on ebay. for $60 you get 5 pins. Basically $12 per pin as opposed to $20+ you would pay elsewhere. They aren't screen accurrate by any means, but, I was able to take the TNG and paint it in the apppropirate colors and make it look screen accurate. Considering the pieces come apart as I showed in post https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=172778&p=4535391&viewfull=1#post4535391, it is nice.

Here is where you can get some.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Trek-Discovery-Badge-Set-Command-Black-Ops-Mirror-Generation-Voyager/123172687359?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

looks great. What’s the history of this 3 piece badge. Never seen one.

Oh, by the way.. I got super lucky and found a 2 piece 1987 badge on vintagetoys.com. I thought I would never find one! The auction had been up since March 2014 (because on that site, auctions never expire if you donate). I can't believe it was up so long!! Anyway, I bought it.. just waiting for my CC payment to clear for him to ship (I hope?) If not, I guess the protections I have on the card I'll just get my money back since the merchandise was never received.

Here are the pics of what I bought from that auction.. still can't believe my luck!
STAR_TREK_STAR_SHIP_COMMUNICATOR_PATCHES_PINS_BADGES_LOT.JPGSTAR_TREK_STAR_SHIP_COMMUNICATOR_PATCHES_PINS_BADGES_LOT_CLASPS.JPG

I am now (again) the proud owner of a 1987 Lincoln Enterprises 2-piece combadge :) It has been taken care of, that is for sure. I believe it still has the original paint!

IMG_0192.jpegIMG_0193.jpeg

Differences between the 1987 LE and the Roddenberry.com badge. Can see the differences in the size of the original season 1 combadge compared to Season 7, which Roddenberry.com presumably used to recast. R.com is definitely smaller, probably due to either deliberate changes over the seasons or shrinkage caused by using tin-based silicone which caused more shrinkage over the years. mold-recast-mold-recast-mold-recast who knows how many times. A copy from a copy. Anyway.. still glad I have both!

IMG_0195.jpeg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back