QMX TNG comm badge pre-order

Mine too has an ill fitted silver plate and some roughness around the edges of the oval.

Still looks good and probably can't complain too much at that price point.

photo (10).JPG976524_10151482545446309_798391872_o.jpg

My silver plate doesn't look that bad. Actually I got so inspired by the QMx badge, I just had to bake some Starfleet German Chocolate Cupcakes with Coconut Pecan Frosting this afternoon. Sorry, I know it's off-topic, but I couldn't help it. :):):)

I quite like the raised edge, but I'm not sure if its screen accurate - I'll need to take a closer look at the blu-rays.

I don't have the Blu-rays, unfortunately, but I tried to get some screencaps from Hulu+, which has the first few TNG seasons in what looks like hi-def. (Correct me if I'm wrong, guys). The caps didn't come out the best-- I tried to blow them up and do a bit of sharpening-- but you can pretty much see the lip on this version of the badge from "The Last Outpost."

LastOutpost_CommBadge_1a.jpg

LastOutpost_CommBadge_2a.jpg

I don't have the Blu-rays, unfortunately, but I tried to get some screencaps from Hulu+, which has the first few TNG seasons in what looks like hi-def. ...you can pretty much see the lip on this version of the badge from "The Last Outpost."

Excellent screen-grab Cristar - the lip is clearly there in the early seasons. You can also see how they made it out of two parts like my replica from 1987 - including the gaps where the arrow crosses the lip of the oval. I'm tempted to do a cast of my 1987 one and repaint it and add a magnet like QMx have.

1987 Replica from a similar angle:
medium_Img_4524.jpg

I remember reading somewhere that after painting the delta (arrowhead) silver, they got the black edge simply by running a sharpie or permanent marker around the edge.

Don't know if it helps, but here are some pics of screen used comm badges (from screenused.com):

qmx-tng-comm-badge-pre-order-11072_1.jpg-194335d1370523659

qmx-tng-comm-badge-pre-order-11072_2.jpg-194336d1370523660

qmx-tng-comm-badge-pre-order-12430_1.jpg-194337d1370523660

qmx-tng-comm-badge-pre-order-12430_2.jpg-194338d1370523661

qmx-tng-comm-badge-pre-order-star_trek_next_gen_1.jpg-194339d1370523662

qmx-tng-comm-badge-pre-order-star_trek_next_gen_2.jpg-194340d1370523663

Attachments

• 11072_1.jpg
    11072_1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,223
  • 12430_1.jpg
    12430_1.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,476
  • 11072_2.jpg
    11072_2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,187
  • 12430_2.jpg
    12430_2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,355
  • star_trek_next_gen_1.jpg
    star_trek_next_gen_1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 2,384
  • star_trek_next_gen_2.jpg
    star_trek_next_gen_2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,475
I don't have the Blu-rays, unfortunately, but I tried to get some screencaps from Hulu+, which has the first few TNG seasons in what looks like hi-def. (Correct me if I'm wrong, guys). The caps didn't come out the best-- I tried to blow them up and do a bit of sharpening-- but you can pretty much see the lip on this version of the badge from "The Last Outpost."

http://christophernavetta.com/tempart/therpf/LastOutpost_CommBadge_1a.jpg

http://christophernavetta.com/tempart/therpf/LastOutpost_CommBadge_2a.jpg

I am not 100% convinced that there is a lip in these pics. I held my Rodd Comm up a similar way to a light source and was able to get the same effect. My Rodd Comm definitely does not have a lip. The highlight is what seems to be creating the illusion.

Don't know if it helps, but here are some pics of screen used comm badges (from screenused.com):

Great pics, Roland! It looks to me like the first image shows a completely flat face-- no lip. That third image, tho, really looks like there's a lip, like in the screencaps.

I am not 100% convinced that there is a lip in these pics. I held my Rodd Comm up a similar way to a light source and was able to get the same effect. My Rodd Comm definitely does not have a lip. The highlight is what seems to be creating the illusion.

I see exactly what you're saying, Venkman. In fact, most of the screen-used ones I've seen don't have any lip. It really looks to me like the one in this ep does, tho. That edge has got a highlight/shadow and then another highlight along where the silver begins.

I've tried to take a few more screencaps to get a better pic of it. Not sure it they help... maybe someone who has the actual blu-rays can get some better shots.

LastOutpost_screencap_new_1.jpg
LastOutpost_screencap_new_3.jpg

LastOutpost_screencap_new_4.jpg
LastOutpost_screencap_new_5.jpg

LastOutpost_screencap_new_6.jpg
LastOutpost_screencap_new_7.jpg

Great pics, Roland! It looks to me like the first image shows a completely flat face-- no lip. That third image, tho, really looks like there's a lip, like in the screencaps. ...

Yes, the first and the last comm badge on the pics (1, 2, 5 and 6) seem to be from the same mold and were probably used in later seasons. They have no lip. The second comm badge (pics 3 and 4) looks different and was probably from the first (or first two) season(s). There are several indications on the pic that this badge has a lip.

Personally, I prefer the version without lip from later seasons.

What I am wondering is if the black edging was done with some sort extruded material (like the puff pen work people are doing on the Spiderman and Superman suits) and not something that is constructed into the mold.

There has got to be someone on this board who can tell us what we are looking at and clear it up.

I know this post belongs in another thread but since we all love combadges, I figured you all might just get excited about this news from QMx...

FROM QUANTUM MECHANIX..."Since we released our Star Trek: The Next Generation Badges, many of you have asked us which badge we'll be making next.

So as a little Friday treat, here's a preview: we've secured the original molds for the Deep Space Nine/Voyager badge and are currently in the process of restoring them to their former glory!"

375597_10152874909305582_217601538_n.jpg

Image copyright Quantum Mechanix

Honestly the screen used ones look like total crap in the pictures in this thread. Give me stylized any day.

The QMx Voyager Badges will be just like the TNG combadges they produced.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly the screen used ones look like total crap in the pictures in this thread. Give me stylized any day.

I agree with you Kazy! I'm happy with my QMx TNG Badge. :)

They got the original molds for those ones but not the TNG badges? Or did they just throw the TNG molds out and start over?

Yes, they are crap like most of the props from old TV shows when looked at from close up. Look at that screen used phaser. My IPI phaser laser pointer looks much better.

11071_1.jpg

They got the original molds for those ones but not the TNG badges? Or did they just throw the TNG molds out and start over?

The product description says https://store.qmxonline.com/Star-Trek-TNG-Communicator-Badge_p_192.html::

Our TNG communicator badge was crafted using one of the only remaining sets of original molds, which was painstakingly restored in our artisan model shop. With the restored molds we were able to replicate the prop's size and shape exactly.

Maybe they will have better luck coming up combining accuracy with idealized with this style badge since it does nor have or deal with black edging around the delta. I also hope they can come up with a better gold shade/tone to match the original.

All in all, I am happy QMX is doing projects like this. At least they are trying and offering interesting items on a regular basis at very reasonable prices. I wish someone was doing this for Star Wars items.

Regarding the badge available now, has anyone been able to pry off/remove the faceplate? Seems like since they made it the way they did, they missed an opportunity to create a reveal version (see the internal workings) like the diagrams in the tech manuals.

Last edited:
Not so into the DS9/Voyager comm badge. Never really liked the design.

My biggest issue with the QMx TNG badge is the gap between the faceplate & badge and the sides of the arrow not being black like on screen.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back