QMX is at it again

To quote Withnail...

"Free to those that can afford it; very expensive to those that can't!"

QMX can sell items for whatever amounts of money they like. That's capitalism. That's business. There are people who will be able to afford to buy something and there are those that cannot. However, to complain about the prices because they are out of your price range seems like sour grapes.

QMX will only continue to make these products if there are people out there willing and able to buy them .

Of course, as been stated many times, QMX can do whatever it wants, and so can I. This has nothing to do with sour grapes. It really has nothing to do with the fact that now a BDR is out of reach. It's really not and if I wanted to I could get it eventually.

For some reason people seam to think one can only be upset about something if it affects them personally. That's bull and that attitude it why the world is the way it is. People will not speak out unless it affects them.

I was just as furious when they first announced the ridiculous 10k for the Enterprise D and if I won the lottery I still would have no interest in a Enterprise D.

Yes they can do what they want.

Yes costs have risen, but not by this much. Has any other product or service jumped by 33% in the last few months?? No.

The problem is slime bag behavior and that's what this is.

First to raise the price in the middle of a Limited Edition run is disgusting. If you don't think so that is your choice.

Second charging an outrages fee, three times what it is worth, to provide a product is of course legal, but hardly ethical. Hoping the rich dummy won't bother to check around to discover they can have the same model built for a third the price is slimy, unethical and just plain pathetic. As a "License" holder it is even worse.

"Let's charge 7k for something that really can be done for 3k and hope they don't notice."

Yeah they can do what they want but the world would be better if we demanded more.

As individuals we often DO NOT get what we deserve. Most would agree with that I think.

But as a society we get exactly what we deserve. Good and Bad. Here in the states we elected Bill Clinton and George W. Bush. We got what we deserved good and bad. We elected Obama and now we are getting what we elected, good and bad.

If this kind of behavior is okay with you fine. I really thought this was a no brainer and most would agree with me, however I seam to be in the minority and that's fine, but I will say this.

I would never do business like this.

I never want to do business with a company like this, and honestly I don't want to do business with people who think this kind of behavior is okay.

If that makes people here unhappy and I lose future customers, so be it.

Anyone who has seen my collection knows if I really wanted to shell out the money I could get any one of these. Win the lottery tomorrow and I still would never do business with QMX.

Okay,..I'm done. I've said everything I can think of on the matter.

Thanks

If a few years pass and it still doesn't sell, I'm sure they'll end up lowering the price. :lol I guess it's kind of like fashion for them; insane "retail" prices that often find themselves at 70% off at an outlet. I really can't see anything wrong with them pricing it whatever they want. Regardless, the actions of the customers will eventually reflect their own. If people stop buying, they'll eventually disappear or be forced to reevaluate their pricing.

Other than that, I just ignore it.

Last edited:
Instead of publicly attacking QMX because you don't like their prices, just decide not to buy their stuff and make your own stuff. In fact, negative criticism is much better received when you offer up a reasonable and more positive solution, so why don't you build up some of the available models out there and offer them for less in a completed and finished state that are just as attractive and more affordable. Otherwise, you are just one of those guys who likes to hear his/her own voice and likes to create turmoil without any real solutions. QMX has a specific profit margin, they pay for the services of talented builders and set their prices based on the labor and materials they purchase. Selling price = production cost + development cost + % profit margin needed to reasonably operate the business. The profit margin is based on production time and predicted sales potential of the product.

Here's an idea, start your own business and get your own license agreement and then let's have a serious discussion about product prices. :)

It's just so subjective though.

Ask yourself this. If your circumstances had changed a few years ago, and you could now afford the prop you want, and you could also afford the increase without noticing a difference to your day-to-day, would you be posting angry about it here now? I doubt it.

But you're right. It is the extreme end of what a pricey hobby to begin with. I wouldn't pay their prices on general principle.

Popeyes Chicken used to have a two piece for .99 cents every Tuesday for the last few years. Went in a couple weeks ago, now it's $1.29. I said, oh, prices went up. I can either eat it or not. That would be a 30% increase in pricing, but I know that operational costs add to price adjustments.

Did QMx just re-do their business liscense?

Did they hire new people?

Did they re-new a liscensing agreement?

Have supplier costs gone up?

Have they given pay raises to staff. (I like to get those)

So many reasons why it could happen.

I can see being dissapointed if it was something I wanted to buy that went up, but since you had no intention of buying one, why the outrage?

I do not care for their high end stuff so much, but I love the little things they do.

Can't wait for the TNG comm badges to get here!

At the same time, it must be frustrating. QMX must know that some folks budget for their items, as they are hardly daily necessities.

Instead of publicly attacking QMX because you don't like their prices, just decide not to buy their stuff and make your own stuff. In fact, negative criticism is much better received when you offer up a reasonable and more positive solution, so why don't you build up some of the available models out there and offer them for less in a completed and finished state that are just as attractive and more affordable. Otherwise, you are just one of those guys who likes to hear his/her own voice and likes to create turmoil without any real solutions. QMX has a specific profit margin, they pay for the services of talented builders and set their prices based on the labor and materials they purchase. Selling price = production cost + development cost + % profit margin needed to reasonably operate the business. The profit margin is based on production time and predicted sales potential of the product.

Here's an idea, start your own business and get your own license agreement and then let's have a serious discussion about product prices. :)

Seriously. You have got to be kidding.

Okay know one can criticize anyone by your logic. If you bother to actually read what I posted I already have offered a better deal for the same product.

Two different professional model builders here charge 3k for a fully built and lit Polar Lights Enterprise. Better deal offered right there. If someone asking more than twice as much is okay with you fine. It's okay with me as long as I can do everything I can to let people know what a rip off it is in MY OPINION. If you never feel the need to speak out against things you think are wrong unless you have owned the exact same company that's your choice.

By your logic know one can ever criticize anything unless they have done it. Well I have been building and selling props for a while and have not had one single complaint. These are not cheap and I obviously know how to take care of customers. Don't lecture me that I can't criticize a company because I have never held a license. That is ridiculousness. Going after people doing things you believe to be wrong is not only a right but really an obligation. It's the only way anything changes.

Again if you think this is okay fine. I do not and never will.

At this point I am sorry I started this thread. If the majority here think this is acceptable then fine. Please then stop complaining about EFX or any other company none of which have ever pulled anything like this.

Maybe someone with more money than time will see this, realize there are alternatives and take their business elsewhere.

Calling out a company for this type of behavior is not attacking.

It's just so subjective though.

Ask yourself this. If your circumstances had changed a few years ago, and you could now afford the prop you want, and you could also afford the increase without noticing a difference to your day-to-day, would you be posting angry about it here now? I doubt it.

But you're right. It is the extreme end of what a pricey hobby to begin with. I wouldn't pay their prices on general principle.

As I already wrote If I really wanted to I could swing this prop. If I won the lottery tomorrow I would not buy it or anything from QMX.

That is simply how I feel. I do not think a company should behave like this.

If others don't agree, which most seem not to, that is fine but I hope I don't catch the same people telling me I should not be complaining, complain about any company. Because it is their right to charge what they want and do what they want. My some peoples logic then you can not complain about any politician, world events, or anything unless you yourself have done it.

Popeyes Chicken used to have a two piece for .99 cents every Tuesday for the last few years. Went in a couple weeks ago, now it's $1.29. I said, oh, prices went up. I can either eat it or not. That would be a 30% increase in pricing, but I know that operational costs add to price adjustments.

Did QMx just re-do their business liscense?

Did they hire new people?

Did they re-new a liscensing agreement?

Have supplier costs gone up?

Have they given pay raises to staff. (I like to get those)

So many reasons why it could happen.

I can see being dissapointed if it was something I wanted to buy that went up, but since you had no intention of buying one, why the outrage?

I do not care for their high end stuff so much, but I love the little things they do.

Can't wait for the TNG comm badges to get here!

All fair points to be sure, but if you want to disagree with me please at least read what I actually wrote. I worked for a year to be able to buy this, was just about to when things went bad. It is now out of reach. Technically if I really wanted to I could swing this but it would require more than I am willing to sacrifice.

Having said that again, you don't have to have a personal interest in something to be outraged, but since I am obviously in the minority QMX and others will continue with these types of business practices and if that's okay with you, totally cool.

This is why I have always tried to stay out of this stuff and just stick to prop discussions.

Having said that though please to all, be consistent. If your saying I should not be complaining don't you ever complain either.

Also if you want to disagree please do, just please disagree with what I actually wrote.

Thanks all. Many of you brought up very good points.

FWIW, If QMX raised the prices without even a mention as to why, then I agree with Jameth.

Why? Because like in his case there are probably a bunch of folk who were saving up for those props and potentially passed on other items due to having their hearts set on one of the models.

If prices have to go up, so be it, but a 'sorry guys, this is what's going on...' message goes a long way to building up customer relations rather than just hoping no-one would notice.

Has anyone actually emailed QMX to ask them what's the what?

I don't want to silence your opinion expression, I just don't believe that outrage over what some other guy thinks his time is worth is a fair way to go.

I did not ask you to offer me some other company out there that will do the same product for $3000. I suggested that you offer it yourself. Because if you do not have the knowlege and skill to physically do the same thing as QMX or Trekmodeler is doing then who are you to tell them what their prices should be???

Again, you do not own your own business.........but take my advice..........70% of my profit goes into my overhead in running my business. it's probably closer to 50-60 for QMX.

That being said..........you are not in their shoes so you are not expected to understand...........but you can pick up the phone and inquire instead of instantly being outraged over something you truly don't understand.

I'm not trying to tell you what to think, I'm just saying there is far more to the picture than meets the eye.

I have cleared a few posts from this thread. Whether you love or hate a licensee, you need to maintain a level of respect, as you would with any member and not devolve to personal attacks or childish behavior. This is the only time we will post this warning.

But the logic is still flawed..........if QMX had a price point in mind and decided to do like other companies.........initially offer the product at a considerable discount for pre-order folk................and raise the price to it's regular price at a later date...............it doesn't matter how much money you raised based on a price...........you still have to pay the current price if you didn't order earlier. It's like buying a gallon of milk. You go to a store and see milk at 4 bucks a gal..................save for a week and get enough money to pay 4 bucks and 7% tax...............and come back to find milk is $5 and taxes are 10%..................do you think the grocery store will "let you slide"??? One thing is for sure about prices of goods............they usually go up.

I do not disagree Birdie............if a 2K increase happens on one product................they really should inform the customer base by a simple disclaimer on their website and in their ads.

For all I know they've done that already. For all we know Paramount doubled their licensure.

I know if I did that to my patients..........I'd send an explanation letter to all current patients of record.

Still, If you call them, they may just honor the lower price point. You'd be better off trying that than ranting over here in nowhere land.

Has any license holder ever offered a limited number run of something and then as the run progressed jacked up the price??????

Limited edition prints are the only example I can think of.

As numbers decrease and popularity increases, the price can tend to go up. I recently sold some prints that, a few years ago, used to wholesale for $40 (what I paid) and retail for $80 from the supplier, I had 2 still in stock and the supplier, having experienced increased demand for them as they sold to the point of running out, offered to purchase them back from me for $900 each. I hesitate to think what they will sell them on for, however without doing the maths this is a lot more than 33% (closer to 2000%). I'm not complaining.

That said, upping prices because of increased costs is fair enough to a certain degree, but unfair if they simply increase due to increased demand, not due to materials or production costs going up. Like the gas stations upping prices on the fuel in their storage tanks because the price of oil has gone up. I've run a business before and if you quote a price that should be it, you have to allow for minor price increases, I usually specify if I'm doing a job that involves purchasing materials, that, if there is a significant increase in materials cost at the time of purchase I reserve the right to requote, but this is only for big jobs where the increase can't be absorbed.

You can't put something in the JY at $100 and decide to up the price to $200 because you suddenly get a lot of interest.

I guess the bottom line is that a retailer can ask what they want and if people believe it's greedy and unreasonable, someone else will step in with a cheaper product and they will go elsewhere and the company will go belly up. Thats my 2c!

Last edited:
Death to Qmx. I really hope they go out of business.
They are the only reason i dont have a Firefly metal Mals gun, they dont have any intention of making it, no idea why, but dont want anyone else to do it.
And the only things that are not horrible are more than 2k, o wait the ships papers were cool, why they dont offer it any more? there printer broke?
Cant believe so many people defending them. Not to mention the things im reading, like the prices whent up because they hire people, thats ridiculous, you hire people to reduce production cost, if it goes up, thats when you start firing.

Last edited:
So, do companies have a right to offer a pre-order price at a discount? RPF members who offer a discount to those who pay up front to help finance a project getting a lower price because of it?

I just don't get it.

............if a 2K increase happens on one product................they really should inform the customer base by a simple disclaimer on their website and in their ads.

Agreed 100%. A simple explanation justifying a price increase due to circumstances beyond their control would go a long way.

Assuming of course that there are circumstances beyond their control.

I can tell you this being a Licensee is NOT easy nowadays.

Certain studios are a major PITA to deal with so much so that it is virtually impossible to get product out.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back