QMX is at it again

Sorry if I am sounding hostile but I was very close to being able to do the layaway plan for the BDR Serenity when things went bad and I was still hoping to swing it if things turned around.

Not now.

Things like this do not make the whole "things went bad" experience any easier.

Are they raising prices for people that have already paid, or are they raising prices on future orders?

If the former, that seems like it would most likely be a "we can't make it and break even at the price we offered, so we either raise the cost or refund their money" situation. I can't imagine they're going back to paid customers and asking for more money though.

If the latter, that's standard operating procedure. They might not be able to make it for the old amount, so they're charging more. They also might feel like it isn't worth their time to do it for the old amount. And dozens of other reasons...

I have no idea which case it is with any of these possibilities, but I also don't see the reason for being so upset. Were you planning on ordering any of these items?

EDIT: I wish this site had a "There has been a post while you were typing" option... I can see why that bothers you.

there has been no sudden inflation increase, fuel price increase, or anything else to justify this.

Hi Tom

I just want to point out that on Jan 1 2013, healthcare costs for companies and most individuals (mine and most people I know) went up 50% from what it was last year. Also on Jan 1, everybody's Social Security tax went up 2%, so if you don't give your employees at least that much of a raise, they are loosing money. And fuel costs, which impacts almost all aspects of a business, are up this year.

I know this sucks and I know how I would feel if I were in the middle of saving up for a BDR and the price went up. It took me a over a year to save up for mine and that would have probably broken the deal. I don't think anyone here is defending this, I think they are just saying we don't know what the causes were.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Again this has never been done by any company that anyone can name during a run. A small increase do to costs going up in a second run from a private prop maker is a lot different than what they pulled here. An again your using an example of a small increase in a second run.

I am truly shocked anyone would defend this but that's the great thing about freedom.

Personally I'm not a QMX fan. They have some pretty bad QC issues and I've returned several things I've bought from them. But that aside, I think what you missed by my last post is that the items you referrenced are all made to order. So, increased costs would make sense for an increase in product cost (whether its materials, licenses, artisans, etc). Had all of these been made at the same time and been sitting in a warehouse, I would be right beside you in your complaints. But since they aren't, I can more easily accept the price change assuming the other things that have already been said. Now, if some "insider" comes out and says, "Nah they just decided to charge more for no reason", again, I'll be right beside you. To me, these particular products are more a one of run. Each order is its own run.

Someone (Someone) could just flash you with a neuralizer and tell you the price has always been that high......oh yea, that's right.....still waiting on them!

The horse is pretty high though! :lol

Okay as a big believer in capitalism, the free market, and good old competition (which is why Macdonalds now serves good coffee and not the gross stuff they used to serve) I am opening up a buisness.

Here is the deal.

I am offering full builds of the Star Trek Reboot Enterprise and Original Crew Movie Enterprise for 5k each. That is correct. $5,000 for each. That is a full $2,000 savings over QMX.

We offer full builds including professionally built, fully lit, aztec pattern ships. Beautifull base and special plaque signed by the builder (Or whoever is around when the plaque is packed)

Now as a special offer we are also offering the 32inch Enterprise D at 5k. That's $5,000. You will save $5,000 over QMX's prices. That's right, half price.

Just paypal me when you are ready and in three months you will have your ship as each is built by hand, one at a time for each customer.

On a totally unrelated note I will be offering commision builds on the Movie Enterprise and Reboot Enterprise for $3,000. I will let you know as I need them. I may need several.

I also, again totally unrelated, would like to hire someone to build me a scratch Enterprise D for about 4k. Hell, lets make it 40 inches just for fun.

I look forward to doing buisness with you rich suckers,....ah...nice people.

Sellers can sell for any price they choose. It's their product, and their rules. As collectors, we have all the power to choose what we will pay for an item. If I felt I needed a qmx item, I only need to buy it at there price. It comes down to what they think their time is worth vs what we think what their time is worth.

I am a championship titles collector. There are bootleg items from Pakistan which are "meh" in quality and then there's Reggie Parks, the father of modern day title creations. Reggie will cost you probably $1000 more for his work. Other collectors who have the cash, don't hesitate to order. Those that do not have cash, they get cheaper replicas and some collectors are very happy with a knockoff item. Which is fine.

All sellers have their rules and prices and we as consumers make the choice to buy or not to... If a noob who does not know other companies prices and overpays it is a lesson learned. I did this exactly! I payed way to much for a title. ...and lesson learned. This happened like 11 years ago.
A company who over charges will notice their sales are down. If that company wants to not become extinct they will make changes or else.

Just a noobs opinion. I have a photography business. I have to make deals with my clients to keep them returning. It sucks to have to cut the cost, but if you want to stay in business.

(Shrug)

Last edited:
Some people won't pay more than $15.00 for a watch at Walmart, some pay thousands for a Rolex.

Depends on what you want and will pay for.

Just because it has no value to you, does not make it valuless.

Just a thought, FWIW: why not contact QMx and explain your frustrations? Be upfront about this thread, though. Tell them how passionate you are/were about that BDR, and seeing it slip from your grasp set you off like a Roman candle in a bonfire.

It seems that the issue is that you were within reach of a BDR Serenity, and the price jumped up 33%.

The builds are made to order, and we don't really know if the people that have commissioned builds will see the increase or not. So why not call them, ask for someone in authority, and ask? Ask if anyone would be willing to sell their place in the build queue. Ask if they would build you one for the original price. At least you can find out why the price went up!

You've nothing to lose - you'll either get a BDR for what you can afford, or you won't - so you'll be where you are now.

Just a thought, FWIW: why not contact QMx and explain your frustrations? Be upfront about this thread, though. Tell them how passionate you are/were about that BDR, and seeing it slip from your grasp set you off like a Roman candle in a bonfire.

It seems that the issue is that you were within reach of a BDR Serenity, and the price jumped up 33%.

The builds are made to order, and we don't really know if the people that have commissioned builds will see the increase or not. So why not call them, ask for someone in authority, and ask? Ask if anyone would be willing to sell their place in the build queue. Ask if they would build you one for the original price. At least you can find out why the price went up!

You've nothing to lose - you'll either get a BDR for what you can afford, or you won't - so you'll be where you are now.

There you go being all reasonable.

BTW jacking up prices for no reason and sticking it to customers is "not very nice."

I really doubt it's "for no reason" nor are they just "sticking it to customers" The show they run is not cheap - I doubt it's a guy in his garage doing freelance hoping to get picked up by some FX company or prop house.

All good points one never know what is going on behind the scenes I'm sure they did'nt want to but HAD to raise the price.

The consumers will decide with their wallets on whether they stay in business

The crux of the matter is whether they raised the price when the product was open to pre-orders, or when it was still in the announcement stage.

Terrible business practice if it was done in the former.

They were selling four thousand dollar sonic screwdrivers - four thousand - and our jaws all dropped. I saw yesterday that they're all sold out. I wonder if forums for things like high-end collectable cars have people on them raging that they can't afford them?

To quote Withnail...

"Free to those that can afford it; very expensive to those that can't!"

QMX can sell items for whatever amounts of money they like. That's capitalism. That's business. There are people who will be able to afford to buy something and there are those that cannot. However, to complain about the prices because they are out of your price range seems like sour grapes.

QMX will only continue to make these products if there are people out there willing and able to buy them .

They were selling four thousand dollar sonic screwdrivers - four thousand - and our jaws all dropped. I saw yesterday that they're all sold out. I wonder if forums for things like high-end collectable cars have people on them raging that they can't afford them?

They only sold a dozen in the end, I believe. Nick couldn't make anymore than that.

They only sold a dozen in the end, I believe. Nick couldn't make anymore than that.

Honestly, I do think it's pretty obscene, as is jacking up the prices by 33%.

But most people I know, almost all of them, would think that dropping $300 on a sonic replica was way beyond the pale, let alone four grand. Which really has nothing to do with anything, except to say that as well as complaining about these champagne price points, we should also be grateful for what we all can afford to have too.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back