Q&A / Paragon FX Group (All done for now, Thank you)

Rylo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
By request:

To keep from cluttering up the other threads, let's try a good ol' fashioned Q&A

People have a lot of general questions and this will allow us to speak more freely about what and how we're doing things. I won't be able to get into a bunch of studio specifics and licensing territory; but I think we can nibble around the edges.

You can start anywhere you want. Keep it fun, please.

Go!

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this Rylo!

Any chance that Paragon FX will be looking into the entire breadth of franchises like Batman?

I'm particularly interested and will instantly order a Sonar Batarang and even a Sonar Suit Cowl.

E9Hk7ugXIAItrad.jpg

Hi Rylo,

Regarding the JP Cryo can…
Will the shaving cream can screw onto the base or is it pressure fit?
How was the original made?

Larry

I hear their is a Paragon, “Makers” blend of Tequila in the works, but someone drinks the samples so fast they can’t be sent out ,care to comment?

Looking forward to an original series BSG items and the Batman Shield. What is in the future for other upcoming projects for Paragon FX. Come on Rylo spills the beans we may have to call John Wick or something…LOL!! Just kidding but on that topic any John Wick items being thought of?? Appreciate that made the Q & A thread.

Thanks for setting this up.

You've mentioned the (wise) step of not taking money up front, but are there any other lessons (that you could share publicly) that Paragon learned from the challenges prior prop replica companies have faced? I think MR was probably the most successful but even they imploded eventually.

Any interest in a nuBSG license? I'm still waiting for anyone to make a truly accurate season 1 sidearm replica.

Since you have the license for Batman and Lynch's Dune, is there anything in the pipeline for props from Nolan's Batman and Villeneuve's Dune?

Thanks for starting this Rylo!

Any chance that Paragon FX will be looking into the entire breadth of franchises like Batman?

I'm particularly interested and will instantly order a Sonar Batarang and even a Sonar Suit Cowl.

View attachment 1688950
I know you're fond of this one and I'm a fan, too! We are indeed looking into multiple films from the franchise. In fact, we're licensed for most!

Without revealing our product plan, I will say it's posts like this that set the tone for conceivably what's next.

Thanks for asking!

Last edited:
Since you have the license for Batman and Lynch's Dune, is there anything in the pipeline for props from Nolan's Batman and Villeneuve's Dune?
Lynch's DUNE is a personal favoprite of mine so it's getting the bulk of my attention from what you've mentioned. I like DV's DUNE but it's not one of our properties.

What would you like to see from Nolan's Batman?

Lynch's DUNE is a personal favoprite of mine so it's getting the bulk of my attention from what you've mentioned. I like DV's DUNE but it's not one of our properties.

What would you like to see from Nolan's Batman?
It'd be great to see a high quality replica of the grapnel gun. The Noble Collection released one many years ago and it wasn't very good. That's the #1 thing on my wishlist. The utility belt or one of Joker's detonators would be cool, too.

Thanks for setting this up.

You've mentioned the (wise) step of not taking money up front, but are there any other lessons (that you could share publicly) that Paragon learned from the challenges prior prop replica companies have faced? I think MR was probably the most successful but even they imploded eventually.

Any interest in a nuBSG license? I'm still waiting for anyone to make a truly accurate season 1 sidearm replica.

Great question!

Well, we've all seen companies take orders, fail to deliver, take more orders and repeat. Everyone knows how that movie ends...

It's also not enough to simply have the license or even the money; a company has to also have the talent to ultimately land the product they're showing off! A number of people have underestimated that seemingly simple, last step. A good team is just essential.

We've also seen companies who announce a product, take payment in full up front and then just talk about it forever, move the goal post back, talk about it some more, make you wait with little to no updates and 'if you're lucky' ultimately ship your item a year or more later. That just puts a bad taste in everyone's mouth...

I basically consider all the things we've complained about here on the RPF a pretty good road map of what not to do!

Interestingly, NOT taking pre-orders up front made for slow start for us. It's practically Pavlovian how conditioned collectors are to preorder and wait. It turns out that pre-selling and having people wait forever can lead to some decent press. If people are waiting, they're talking about you...

When we just showed up with merch, it was almost like we did something wrong. "Wait, who are these guys? Is this legit?" Comical in retrospect but an unexpected hurdle nonetheless.

People get the way we're doing it now and I think everyone appreciates that Paragon is willing to earn its place without taking cash up front. The reserve process was literally demanded from us as a compromise. People just didn't want to worry about having secured a given piece, so we said, "Look, if you want to lock something down for peace of mind, let's do it like this. Essentially, we're so confident you'll love what we're doing that we'll let you reserve our stuff for 10% and if for whatever reason you change your mind, we'll refund your reserve without wait. If you see someone else offer something similar to us, look it over... If you think they're doing it better, we'll gladly give you that reserve back without wait. If you think we're dragging our feet on a project, here's your reserve back. You're not diggin' the way I say diggin'? No problem, here's your reserve back."

You get the idea. We really tried to make it bullet proof. (y)

* BSG. Yep, we've got the old and new. A surprise or two yet to come there.

Can we expect more pieces with production supplied files/masters? I understand that is probably difficult with older properties, but when it comes to more recent ones I’d hope it would be easier to organize.

If you were to, for example, produce lineage pieces from Batman Vs Superman? I’d buy every one. Rangs, grapple guns, kryptonite spear, standard and armored cowls if possible, and anything else you’d put out with that license.

Looking forward to an original series BSG items and the Batman Shield. What is in the future for other upcoming projects for Paragon FX. Come on Rylo spills the beans we may have to call John Wick or something…LOL!! Just kidding but on that topic any John Wick items being thought of?? Appreciate that made the Q & A thread.
Hmmm, spill the beans he says.

Truth be told, we're always talking to studios about different franchises. Some are even starting to come to us. Specifically for higher-end replicas, which is a great feeling! Nothing right now on the Wick franchise. We discussed it. Sometimes ya gotta take a pass. We'll see...

The Bat-shields. Of all the things we've made, those irritate me. It's all about the finish, too. We've already rejected one manufacturer after they just could not keep the scratches in the acrylic down. One of the benefits of not taking pre-sales is being able to reject runs and take as long as necessary to get things right. We'd rather not do it at all than put B- product out there. Acrylic in chunks that large are so difficult to work with. It's cut at one factory, painted in another, assembled in yet another and then it has to survive the voyage to the states. It's a difficult task. The stuff just scratches if you look at it wrong.

That said, we're on round 2 right and hope to update soon!

Did you see our Cylon head prototype?

Can we expect more pieces with production supplied files/masters? I understand that is probably difficult with older properties, but when it comes to more recent ones I’d hope it would be easier to organize.

If you were to, for example, produce lineage pieces from Batman Vs Superman? I’d buy every one. Rangs, grapple guns, kryptonite spear, standard and armored cowls if possible, and anything else you’d put out with that license.
One of the first things we ask for are assets from a given production. Sometimes you score, sometimes you don't. We have a deal stewing right now that's predicated on having access to a particular screen used piece. If we don't get it, we're moving on rather than have to scratch build it. Sometimes the juice isn't worth the proverbial squeeze. I'll be sure and bring that particular one up here and use it as an example if it all works out.

To your point, it's easier with newer films but I think people would be shocked to learn what a difficult ask that can be, depending on with whom you're working. It's not uncommon to have to do your own legwork.

Thank you for the Batman VS Superman suggestion.

Hi Rylo,

Regarding the JP Cryo can…
Will the shaving cream can screw onto the base or is it pressure fit?
How was the original made?

Larry

Hi Larry,

The bottom threads at the base of the can are fake and likely lead to the addition of the O-ring on the original. The wall of the can was too thin to thread, but I believe the inspiration came from the old can (diversion) safes which did/do have a plastic thread inside of them which allows the bottom cap to screw into place. Interestingly, they're about the same height, too. I'm speculating of course. We're working on the collateral for the replica now and I hope to get into some of that and share some additional thoughts on other lesser-known details regarding the center post, vials, etc.

More soon as time permits. Probably on a dedicated thread.

Last edited:
I fully appreciate this thread. Without it I wouldn't have learned that you guys existed. Now that I know I will be sure to follow you and see what awesome things you bring to the table. The whole work-ethic and non-pre-order thing is great to hear as we've seen so many times how that ends up killing a company.

Though, if people want pre-orders, you could always create the pieces and then have them in the warehouse and then do a quick pre-order... and then surprise people 1 month later with the product being shipped. Nah, sorry... that's just silly.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back