Q&A / Paragon FX Group (All done for now, Thank you)

Really appreciate you taking the time to do this, Rylo!

Curious if your BR license allows for selling kits? I think there’s a fair amount of folks out there who would love to make their own K or Luv blasters instead of buying a finished piece…

Sean

Thanks for starting this thread.

I think you may have shared info before regarding the studios / license prevents you from shipping your products internationally, but could you elaborate on why that is and why would the license holders not want that?

Can we expect more pieces with production supplied files/masters? I understand that is probably difficult with older properties, but when it comes to more recent ones I’d hope it would be easier to organize.

If you were to, for example, produce lineage pieces from Batman Vs Superman? I’d buy every one. Rangs, grapple guns, kryptonite spear, standard and armored cowls if possible, and anything else you’d put out with that license.
I second this. I’ve already said but I love Batfleck’s grapple gun with the brown wooden handle.

Season 1 nuBSG blaster is very high on my list. I have a Matsuo resin version that I love. But a new one of comparable quality to the metal Blade Runner blaster would be amazing.

I own two of Matsuo's myself, which I believe are oversized, being built around a larger frame than the real prop. Not to mention various inaccuracies in shape/proportion due to low-quality reference at the time.

Point is: yes. Do want.

I messaged through the “contact us” form on the website and never heard anything back, so I hope you don’t mind me asking here. My question was regarding shipping costs. I went to buy several items, and the shipping was quite expensive – over $65. That seemed wrong to me. I wondered if you didn’t combine shipping, so I removed some items to see what the individual costs would be. Over $16 for the Jurassic Park map alone – essentially a flat paper brochure. I live in the US. Your site states you use dimensional weight to calculate shipping, but the math still doesn’t seem to add up. It stopped me from purchasing for the time being.

I don’t mean this as an attack, I’m genuinely curious – is there a reason for the high shipping costs? Is it an insurance thing? Are you not getting the cheaper business rates? Something else I’m missing?

Regardless, your products look fantastic, and I wish you much success. The community is in need of a quality and trustworthy prop replica company after being burned so many times in the past.

Thanks for starting this thread.

I think you may have shared info before regarding the studios / license prevents you from shipping your products internationally, but could you elaborate on why that is and why would the license holders not want that?
Not speaking of any particular studio at all, here:

Studios assign territories to licensees. They have different offices/divisions all over the world.

Why license a valuable property to just one company when you spread it around, right? One operates/sells in Asia, one takes the US, One in Europe, etc. Plus, some properties are simply more popular in different parts of the world. Some things can and can't be offered for any number of reasons. There's no real 'one thing'...

It's made pretty clear up front, there is no exclusivity. BUT, most studios make a sincere effort not to cannibalize a given property by offering different categories, price points, that sort of thing. We're generally known for 'High-End' replicas and enjoy that category. Some are known for plush, toys, poster, etc. This is why you see some companies selling similar items. There's almost always a difference in price, materials, etc. Sometimes not. Like I said, most make the effort not to have too many companies doing the same thing. Still, it happens.

All the more reason to be an educated consumer. Look around, do your homework...see how many flavors of 'whatever' is being offered before you buy!

Now, none of this is to say one can't have global rights to something. It's just be less common with larger studios/franchises.

Apologies for the word salad. Just making the effort not to single anyone out.

If you you guys aren't already following our socials, it would mean a lot if you did. We're just now starting to spend a little time with that sort of thing. We update regurally. The support helps us get better exposure and that means more stuff actually gets made.

Thanks!

Not speaking of any particular studio at all, here:

Studios assign territories to licensees. They have different offices/divisions all over the world.

Why license a valuable property to just one company when you spread it around, right? One operates/sells in Asia, one takes the US, One in Europe, etc. Plus, some properties are simply more popular in different parts of the world. Some things can and can't be offered for any number of reasons. There's no real 'one thing'...

It's made pretty clear up front, there is no exclusivity. BUT, most studios make a sincere effort not to cannibalize a given property by offering different categories, price points, that sort of thing. We're generally known for 'High-End' replicas and enjoy that category. Some are known for plush, toys, poster, etc. This is why you see some companies selling similar items. There's almost always a difference in price, materials, etc. Sometimes not. Like I said, most make the effort not to have too many companies doing the same thing. Still, it happens.

All the more reason to be an educated consumer. Look around, do your homework...see how many flavors of 'whatever' is being offered before you buy!

Now, none of this is to say one can't have global rights to something. It's just be less common with larger studios/franchises.

Apologies for the word salad. Just making the effort not to single anyone out.
Thank you Rylo, appreciate the answer and the salad of words

Rylo,

Could you speak to Paragons approach to replica prop making? Is the goal to replicate the original, warts and all… or will the company take an idealized approach?

If you you guys aren't already following our socials, it would mean a lot if you did. We're just now starting to spend a little time with that sort of thing. We update regurally. The support helps us get better exposure and that means more stuff actually gets made.

Thanks!

Done.

Rylo,

Could you speak to Paragons approach to replica prop making? Is the goal to replicate the original, warts and all… or will the company take an idealized approach?

It depends. Sometimes there's room for a little finesse.

I personally lean towards leaving in the warts; however, if it's a complex piece and we're talking about machinery or materials, sometimes there's room for compromise. Especially if you can stay within the mind's eye of what everyone is expecting.

That prop we see for 5 seconds that was never made to do anything but get through that one shot, may be held together with a stripped bolt and some cardboard and it probably barely worked for the scene much less mass production. Something like that may need to be cleaned up a little or omitted while keeping the outward appearance like everyone remembers it in their mind's eye.

The 66 bat radios were originally carved from wood. Upon close inspection, an original looks bad. Really bad. Now, of course we wouldn't go about carving out a bunch of radios in wood and finishing them in a haphazard manner. We stayed true to their design and correct proportions while making them fit what most would think a bat radio should look like in hand. The result it a great, idealized replica. This time, for the better.
Now, you're gonna always have that person, "I want it wood and all!" I get it; that would be fun but there's a line. We have to make that call as to what's best and ultimately results in a replica that someone can proudly display in their collection.

On the flip side, we recently did our prototype newspapers for the Day of the Dead. The decision was made to leave them exactly like the original with broken text, fragmented sentences, etc. While the headlines and lead-ins make sense, the text was pulled from misc. medical journals. There's no order or even an attempt at it making sense. Quite simply, they knew it would not be visible on camera and just tossed it in. We left it as-is. The only option would be to rewrite it making it something entirely different. The history of the replica has a certain charm of its own. Best to leave it.

The Bat-Glyph from the 22 film was printed in resin for production. We could've left it that way, but most would agree, it's much cooler in metal, having been mastered from the original file. So, yeah...finesse is good sometimes.

Good question.

Last edited:
Hi Tyler and Rylo,
Is there any additional information re the new blasters (ie, K and Luv’s) from blade runner 2049? I saw a photo here but haven’t seen much elsewhere.
Thanks
I dont think this was answered so Ill jump in -

They are both in production phases now. With only so many factories to work with and external factors like timing certain pieces with anniversaries, or seasons, etc... sometimes stuff gets shuffled. The best place to get pretty much up to the minute info are our social platforms!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back