Puppet mouth movement mechanism?

Contec

Master Member
I can't figure out how to do the same mouth mechanism as the puppets in this video.
Both the upper lip and lower jaw is moving but they seem to move separate to each other. Best show from 6:24
Skrot Nisse och hans vänner - YouTube
They used a lot of different sizes for these puppet in this show. I'm pretty sure that the puppet from 6:24 is about 23-27 inches long.
I searched for pages on ventriloquist puppets but they only have the lower jaw moving.
skrotnisse1.jpg

I wanna build myself one of these puppets and have the mouth mechanism working as well.

Thanks

Looks like stop motion, so I would imagine the mouths would be on seperate axis' to be able to move independantly by manual, individual manipulation.

They're not stop motion. The jaw is probably a scissor mechanism with cable control. It works like the brake on a bicycle, you pull the cable and the scissor opens, release and it closes.

It *does* look like stop-motion. But at the scale you want to build the puppet, you probably could use animatronics. You'd need to construct a hollow skull (to hold servos), and the face would be silicone with actuators in the mouth area.

Check out info on animatronic makeup and look up Wookie builds here.

Looks like a cool project!

They're not stop motion. The jaw is probably a scissor mechanism with cable control. It works like the brake on a bicycle, you pull the cable and the scissor opens, release and it closes.

It *does* look like stop-motion. But at the scale you want to build the puppet, you probably could use animatronics. You'd need to construct a hollow skull (to hold servos), and the face would be silicone with actuators in the mouth area.

Check out info on animatronic makeup and look up Wookie builds here.

Looks like a cool project!

It could be the scissor thing. The tv show was made in the 80's so the model maker would not be able to have had servos that small. The real "dolls" are made from a type of paper/plastic clay. Im going to sculpt mine in super sculpy and maybe cast in resin.

I need to figure out how to do the scissor thing first.

Looks like it is geared to me. The wider the lower jaw opens, the more the upper opens.
It can be done with push/pull cables though. Take a look at this site for tips and ideas.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back