Puff painting ...any advice?

Cigs

Jr Member
I bought some slick navy blue for the bricks 2 4oz I think is enough, What I noticed is that after I did a sample area, after it starts drying it almosts shrinks or goes back in , if that makes sense, Is that because its Slick? and for the webbing I bought Black metallic, I Was contemplating in buying the Black Matte finish, but havent seen any people say they used that . Anyone here used the matte black puffy paint? Also is it true you have to blow dry it ? or just some people like to do that?

So much advice! What to do with it?? Let's go people give me something , don't be lazy . Yes I have been searching but nothing comes up of my specific questions . Show me something RPF.com

I think the flattening is just the paint absorbing into the fabric, once it's dried I imagine you can run another layer over it if you want it to stick out more. Or there is the Puff varient of paint which I'm led to believe you can dry with the cold setting on a hair dryer to "puff" up in thickness.

One thing I would recommend is after every few inches of running the paint, give the bottle a little shake towards the nozzle (while covering over it with a thumb or something) just to make sure as much paint is at that end as possible. I got a lot of "Air bubble explosions" which really made a mess around the weblines.

I'm just coming to the end of my first attempt at painting my suit and think i'll need another layer in certain places.

I
One thing I would recommend is after every few inches of running the paint, give the bottle a little shake towards the nozzle (while covering over it with a thumb or something) just to make sure as much paint is at that end as possible. I got a lot of "Air bubble explosions" which really made a mess around the weblines.

I suggest this, theres nothing worse then doing a perfect line to have it messed up by a air bubble explosions, especially once you start getting to the end of the bottle.

Ok,Great tips, also I realize the tip at the end of the puffy paint is small compared to the web lines . I'm having to go over it twice to thicken it up. Is this normal? Or should I invest in new bottles with tips?

Hey bud!

It's great that you're starting your suit! I don't particularly know about the choices you made for the paint tho. If you really want a screen-accurate suit, I'd highly suggest you get black puffy paint for the bricks. Also the spider webs are almost matte (tho not quite). You don't really have to blow dry them necessarily, only if you want a more raised matte look. If you're starting I'd suggest you try different experiments on spare fabric so you can see which one you like the most. I like to go through the web lines first, then blow dry them to get the more matte raised look, then go through the black bricks to leave them shiny. Also legend says that if you wash the fabric first the puffy paint will last for longer, although I've never tried not washing the fabric to see if it actually last less.

Danny

Ok,Great tips, also I realize the tip at the end of the puffy paint is small compared to the web lines . I'm having to go over it twice to thicken it up. Is this normal? Or should I invest in new bottles with tips?

Applicator bottles and tips are always a great investment.

You've had a lot of wonderful suggestions and tips from some major pros... So here's my bit of advice (something that can never be overlooked).

You must gain confidence to make perfect suits.. Confidence comes from success built from practice.

When you get your first suit... Buy a cheap 3 pack of white tee shirts..

Stretch the t shirt over suit and trace the chest web pattern onto the shirt with a pencil/marker.

Now put the suit away and ONLY practice (over and over) on those t shirts...

Believe me when I say your 1st suit (or t shirt) won't turn out as good as the 2nd or the 22nd and so on, and so forth...

I'd say you probably get the hang of it by suit 20 but honestly even after years of painting you'll still be able to learn some new things and ALWAYS have the potential to make a costly mistake.

All the tips are great but there is NO substitute for true practice. (And the confidence it affords).. Get those t shirts and get some practice!!!! Don't touch the suit for a month..... Or else... Yeah every year I see tons of suits on eBay.. Partially finished or just fubar paint jobs.. Don't be that spidey.. Get some cheap T shirts and some practice!!

Last edited:
IMG_9375.JPGIMG_9376.JPG
couple updates , finished the back blue honeycombs, started some of the webbing in Matte black, so far so good! As far as the blow dry method, I am waiting for it to dry over night then , hitting it with the cold setting for a couple minutes so it doesnt feel sticky.

Ok so I had to buy 2 more slick blue for the honeycombs I'm putting it on thick . I'm 3 bottles in and I'm still on the back side .
Also decided I might not do the web lines , we'll see . I did a sample area of the web line and I didn't like the lumpyness . Plus the next day I was able to peel it all off so I don't even l know if it will stick . So for now just doing the honeycomb

Finished the back side, now waiting for it to dry so I can turn it over and do the front, looks great so far. Very time consuming stuff here lol, Im not looking for perfection , just looking to make the suit look a little better, which with the puff paint its already looking better!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back