Project: OzMageddon (twisted wizard of oz)

Friko

Hello,
a group of friends and myself have for some reason decided to rewrite the story of The Wizard OF Oz, redesigning the story and it's characters into a much darker and twisted tail with some steam punk undertones. We have begun sculpting the scarecrow character. We've made him more of a forest spirit that has possessed a scarecrow. The scarecrow has taken a more of a golem form but still retains the essence of a scarecrow. His flesh is burlap, muscle is straw and grass, and bone is branches. We lost the hat and will have branches that extend from his head that will encase his protruding brain. There will be a bird cage embedded in his torso where crows are kept to aid him in his journey. (thats going to be a ***** to do) We are hoping to have the head molded soon and will hopefully get to the body soon afer. After we have finished the scarecrow we will move to the lion. I'll post pics and concept images as we get further into the project.
I hope people will enjoy our revamped version of Oz and of course we would love to hear all feedback.

Oh i should also mention that the sculpture is the understructure of the scarecrow, we will be adding tattered burlap over as his skin.
View attachment 74993

View attachment 74994

View attachment 74995

View attachment 74996

View attachment 74997

Very nice sculpt. I really like the design aspsect of the face, it will make a really sweet mask. What kind of clay are you using to make these sculptures? Im assuming you will cast in latex?

Thanks! We are using WED clay. Its the best for building things up rapidly. Some of the parts will be latex, some will be foam filled and hopefully (like with the lion) some will be silicone.

Thanks! Hmm well it took a lil longer than exprected because at the time we were playing around with a few different designs and picking pieces from each and meshing them. A friend and myself sculpted the face and had to blend our different styles, i suppose about 2 months or so, but thats only working every few days or so. We redid the face about 3 times before ending up with this final design. Thanks for your feedback and question.

Damn. That's pretty cool. Keep up the awesome work. I look forward to checking out your progress.

Do you have the costume worked out too or is this just a mask?

Thanks, yeah, we do have a costume worked out too. I mentioned some aspects of the body in the original post. I will try to get some concepts of the body up asap.

Oh, yea :p. Will he have any weapons or anything? Sorry if I'm bugging, it's just such an awesome sculpture I'm curious to know how it's all going to turn out. - I have a couple of projects to work out myself.

Haha na not bugging. Hmm just really interested :) That's good. Shows that we have done something right. Hmm no weapons. He's more of an elemental spirit that will have some control over the forest and crows.

Here is our project on a site that is meant to help get funding for various cretive works. But nothing is free, we will be giving our backers prizes for their contributions. The prizes will be pretty good and aimed for people who are big geeks like us. This should hopeully more thoroughly explain the entire project and maybe if we are lucky interest some people enough to help us make this project a reality :) Seriously, anything helps.
Project: OzMageddon by nicole green — Kickstarter

Ok, I'm REALLY digging this thread! At first I was a tad worried, with the existing Twisted series (Perhaps a word other than "twisted" would be helpful, lol). However, the Scarecrow sculpt is quite evil, love the expression, and the details are killer. Looking quite forward to seeing him molded, cast, and painted. Looking forward to your other characters re-envisioned. Will definitely look at your Kickstarter proposal!

Ok, I'm REALLY digging this thread! At first I was a tad worried, with the existing Twisted series (Perhaps a word other than "twisted" would be helpful, lol). However, the Scarecrow sculpt is quite evil, love the expression, and the details are killer. Looking quite forward to seeing him molded, cast, and painted. Looking forward to your other characters re-envisioned. Will definitely look at your Kickstarter proposal!

Thanks. Haha yeah perhaps we could choose a more suitible word. Thanks for taking a look. Im really hoping we get to make these amazing suits.

Here are 3 early sketches we did a while back.
The 1st is of the scarecrows face. This was when we decided to have the branches that encase his brain. This design was too soft and not as textured as we would like. We kept the ear but will be adding it in the burlap/skin stage.
The 2nd is of the back of the scarecrow. This is before we decided to add branch/bone like protrusions from his shoulder blades. We wanted his spine to be crooked.
the 3rd is of the upper portion of the sacrecrows torso. We were playing with the neck and the ribs and how to blend in the shoulder blades. We hadn't added the bird cage yet.

Hope you enjoy them and that the give more of an idea to what we have in mind :)

View attachment 75356

View attachment 75357

View attachment 75358

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back