Project Mercury Launch Complex and Atlas rocket

Big news: Our VFX shoot has been pencilled in for November 1st through 15th. Yes, it's finally happening!

I've now moved on to the detail portion of the build. First I pored over all the hi-res shots of the service structure and compiled the details it will be necessary to add. At last count, there are seventy-three unique details, half of them nuts, bolts, pipes, conduits, and wires (and thus relatively easy to do). I then bought all the **** I'd need (including about a nautical mile of brass tubing) and got down to it.

Here's my bench at day's end. I'm starting with the "bunkhouse" and working my way down. Seven details in the bag already.

View attachment 1494589

And here's an example of an annotated hi-res shot. This is from an Agena mission that occurred after Project Mercury had ended, so a lot of the mods made to the service structure won't be present on my build.

View attachment 1494590
In some respects—that is what space launch **should** look like.

Complex—far beyond the ken of normal men…and yet..Elon dares to enlarge past the Saturns and their greater pageant of umbilicals…but simplify the pad. It strikes me as heresy!

But that it is what is needed for space…and I understand that one of the properties Elon is expanding into is along…wait for it:

Billy Mitchell Boulevard.

Worry not. The child of the Orbit Jet and Rocketship XM is still half silver…and it—and nothing else—should have followed Atlas. They would look great together in fact. There is a drawing of Atlas next to Nexus. Time for a redraw.

Speaking of Rocketship XM…new effects were added. Time to do that again….but with Starship.

Last edited:
This project is finally complete and the VFX footage in the can. Rather than post all seventy-one photos I've added to Flickr since my last update here, I'll share a link to the entire folder where all may be viewed in high resolution and post five stills of the miniatures as they were lit for shooting. Thanks, everybody! On to the next challenge.

51756533687_9560220258_b.jpg

51757610843_6c30537687_b.jpg

51757610788_982e7b3549_b.jpg

51756533602_68cabc17f5_b.jpg

51758016429_ce302f42f3_b.jpg

This project is finally complete and the VFX footage in the can. Rather than post all seventy-one photos I've added to Flickr since my last update here, I'll share a link to the entire folder where all may be viewed in high resolution and post five stills of the miniatures as they were lit for shooting. Thanks, everybody! On to the next challenge.

View attachment 1522202

View attachment 1522203

View attachment 1522204

View attachment 1522205

View attachment 1522206
Breathtaking!! Well done, the detail on this beast is amazing/crazy. What’s going to happen to the models?

View attachment 1522202

View attachment 1522203

View attachment 1522204

View attachment 1522205

View attachment 1522206
That is a spectacular achievement, Top notch attention to detail! I can't wait to see the final film!

UPDATE--

The short film T-minus for which these miniatures were made is now complete and will soon be for sale digitally and on 4K disc.
If you haven't already considered it, posting this project in the nasaspaceflight.com Spaceflight Entertainment and Hobbies forum section would cause a lot of the space geek/nerds (like me) and professional industry types to flip out. Would also be good for the film sales.
Don't know how I missed this thread. The build is an absolute beauty.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back