Profiles in History Dec 2012 is up

A side by side.

Uncanny resemblance.

attachment.php

Last edited:
bear in mind, you've got one of the new ones. Their's is an old one. I'll be doing pics tomorrow, but man, that's too firckin' funny, and also scary. Hope noone gets taken for 600 on that.

Should I contact them or anything?

Looking closely at the 2 pipes, and even though mine is a new one, there are way too many details, especially the grooves etc on the 'cup' to be a coincidence.

I wouldn't be surprised though if its one of your V1's. Its not the first time an auction house gets suckered into taking on a consignment based simply on what they are told by the source.

Yes, I would tell them, 100%, with circled photo evidence of every trough, crest & imperfection that matches up to your V1.

I would love to see pics you have of your V1 compared to the one on auction.

Another interesting thing is that its unpainted. How did they get their hands on that :confused Did you also sell them as kits at the time ?

Another side by side, this time from one your pics in your build thread of 2008.

It looks like someone made a recast and did a terrible job of it :lol

I ran out of space to insert more red circles too :lol

attachment.php

Last edited:
When one pipe has been deliberately made to resemble the other as far as possible then is finding similarities in the detail really a surprise? That's the whole point of a replica. IMO looking for differences would be the way to approach establishing whether one is a cast of the other.

If that is the case, I take my hat off to Hotshot for nailing this so well from the reference he took off a single picture in a book.

pipepicyw5.jpg

How helpful of all these photographers to shoot from the same angle! The claws alone on the book photo are much more pronounced and single that one out.

As always I stand to be corrected, as I am not dumb enough to not change my mind if shown that I am wrong, but at this stage, and as I said before, my conclusion is pretty much that the one on sale by PIH is a poor recast of Hotshot's sculpt. Nice touch with the 'CGI' dots :lol

In my eyes, the biggest tell of all is the shape of the pipe 'bowl', round vs squarish.

Somebody please prove me wrong, as I find this rather hilarious :lol

Yet again the standard of proof in relation to authentic costumes and props is beyond a joke. I shouldn't be surprised anymore! The gullibility of the buyers just encourages unscrupulous sellers to exploit them. I saw some really hilarious examples of bogus Doctor Who items in Bonhams past auctions which have sold for huge sums [like £10000+]. It is hilarious and sad at the same time.

It is definitely sad.
Thanks for doing my homework for me Alan :)

I'm pretty broken hearted that someone would pawn this off as an original (the original prop maker of the real pipe prop is a member here), but the fact that its a recast of my first version, which was cast in 6 individual pieces, and not one solid piece, is just adding insult to injury.

I'm not sure what I can do, except just let people know and post as many places as I can.
*shrug*

On the other hand, it's been pretty cool to see one of my props pop up in a catalog next to real ones!! :lol

Just tried to email them,
And it bounced back and their Facebook page didn't post it either . . .ughhh . . .screw it.
just pass the word along, my fellow brethren pirates.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back