Products that were not intended to be used in model making but work anyway

Go to the makeup department and get yourself a set of inexpensive makeup brushes. These are your new dry brushing friends. They’re great: big round soft bristles down to little filberts. As a bonus, the handles come in all kinds of bright colors and might even have glitter! (Ironically hobby companies are now marketing their own dry brush sets that look just like makeup brushes…no glitter, though.)
I also keep a set of these in my "Show kit." I always pack some brushes, CA glue, tweezers, and toothpicks if I'm ever going to a model show. The brushes are great for getting dust off a model for a show.
Also,
- Lead roof flashing from a hardware store is great for adding weight to models or bases. You can cut it with scissors.
- Airgun pellets are another good source of weights (Use the lead pellets, not BB's.)
- Magic Erasers can be good when doing washes.
- I keep old decks of cards for paint/epoxy mixing palettes
- Plain white ceramic tiles are awesome as paint palettes, or for cutting masking tape. You can scrape them clean with a razor blade without scratching.
- Paper hole punches are great for cutting holes in sheet material, or punching out little disks. Or, you can get other shapes. Check your local craft store.
- Make a painting stand out of corrugated cardboard and alligator clips. You can get clips already on sticks or use bamboo skewers. Cut strips of cardboard against the "grain," and glue it together.
DSC_2369.jpg

Last edited:
Along similar lines the wax pencils used in salons for doing decorations on nails (picking up those little tiny gem stones) work great for small model parts and photo etch placement. No residue left behind.

Also great for everything from mixing paint to storing small parts are these Solo cups.
E72EF7D0-857B-4454-A025-8B705B964067.jpeg

Keep the lids, too, for pallets, or mixing epoxy, or anything else you need.
I will warn you, these are kind of expensive. I only buy them five or six at a time, but they do come with free dipping sauce for the crab rangoons.

This thread has been really helpful! I’ve found that d-center foam adhesive weather stripping works well as a diy vacuum chamber gasket, if you’re trying to cast model parts. Only around $7 for almost 20ft. of the stuff.

Pipe screens, available in different diameters and material(stainless or brass). Very fine mesh. Some are preformed w/rim like a small bucket shape.
Almost available everywhere now that the "evil weed"is legit in many places.

Plastic concrete footings

The world record flashlight used one

Put this atop it

Bollards

Great for tanker ships

Platic pallets for sets, big Borg ships

The footings are often conjoined at the bottom with what looks like giant Excelsior nacelle supports. Cut those off the bottom for such purposes.

Tekweld CCS101 CCS106
are two credit card style antibacterial hand sanitizer dispensers from Hauppauge NY 11788 that would make 1/2500 carriers and greebles

Last edited:
I think I mentioned my old rock tumbler for mixing paint and resin bottles before, but today I employed it for mixing tiny Testors bottles. I’m planning an Alien-inspired dual watch band and will be painting leather fluorescent orange. These paints haven’t been touched since the 90’s so they needed some mixing…

I threw some mock up photos of the watches as well. I think I’ll get a second of either one because they are not the same size… I cut a piece of 1/4” tubing for the “link” between them, with a relief on the underside to get the spring bars out.

D51FB125-33E5-4FDB-B066-879EF769DF72.jpeg
ADD3ADD4-9480-4620-A5CE-857BA989B1AA.jpeg
217180F0-E537-4A16-8C54-1D6A85C93887.jpeg
6B38BEDF-24A8-423B-B4C6-9DA89F79449D.jpeg
17B789E7-718A-41F5-BE0B-1435549C8C03.jpeg
BD854C01-187F-4872-B0C1-2AF38359E476.jpeg
45C58BE3-8290-4D94-879B-291E0D1BF424.jpeg
760A4F91-8071-44D9-9171-B9BA51C273F9.jpeg

The large plastic pails have lids that have the Enterprise saucer edge bevel to them though.

Lately you see 18 wheelers with plastic or metal 22.5 inch hubcaps or aerodynamic wheel cover kits as they are called.
bigrigchromeshop.com has RM-250S-1 for $20.69.

United Pacific Chrome Moon front axle cover….Flow Below aero wheel cover panels and kits…Economy wheel cover brushed aluminum dome for 19.75 from aircraftspruce.com

newkingsco.com has bike wheel covers for 16” wheels…plastic spare wheel covers if you want to take a chance on Alibaba.com

These have a wide slit like opening towards the edge for a Federation secondary hull pylon to slide into.

Bicycle wheel covers and paint lids can allow 1/537 Refit Enterprise saucers to be widened.

Big Lots has some interesting things…so does Dollar Tree. They get a lot of cheap GREENBRIER offerings. Today I got:
All star sports. SPORTS DISC 2PC
LIGHT UP TOP
FAVORS/SURPRISES
ROBOT changer
Crafter’s Square chalkboard tags

Cell phone stickers

www.popsockets.com

Use them as pop up turrets for saucer domes

Lastly WWW.FINAL-FACTION.COM toys

DRONE KHARN comes with a greeble….but the COVERT OPS — ALPHA TEAM 1 dragon drone looks like a FASA space station. Lots of greebles.

Last edited:
I guess I'm a sicko--but I noticed even something as base as brush caddies have an interesting shape:

I see that as an Excelsior type deflector dish housing.

A bullseye

For phaser props?

Saucer

STRUCTURAL PLASTICS

Hexagon

Huge Saucer

Last edited:
The latest find

For huge saucers

A great find

Wings

Nosecones

More

Last edited:
joberg , this threads been a terrific source of ‘how to’ and what’s available for consideration in our quest to be ‘better’ modellers. Thank you.
Since it was started by your good self, I’m wondering if there’s any option for model builders to access said ‘discoveries’ in this thread to find components that may be easier to find locally?
Asking cause I’m in Australia and the last few posts regarding these, whilst interesting, seem to be only available to the U.S.

Ged

joberg , this threads been a terrific source of ‘how to’ and what’s available for consideration in our quest to be ‘better’ modellers. Thank you.
Since it was started by your good self, I’m wondering if there’s any option for model builders to access said ‘discoveries’ in this thread to find components that may be easier to find locally?
Asking cause I’m in Australia and the last few posts regarding these, whilst interesting, seem to be only available to the U.S.

Ged
Thanks for the feedback Ged and thanks to our members who filled this thread with very interesting ideas :cool: :cool: (y) (y)
As for finding local products in your country (or any country for that matter); is the most difficult part. I whish I had a good answer for you, but I've the same problem (I'm in Canada) and the variety of products available here pales in comparison to our US members.
I have to order, often, on Amazon.com because the product/part cannot be found here...I'm sure you have products in Australia that aren't available on this side of the Ocean also. Some members (as well as myself) have sent products/parts to other members located in other countries of course.
That seems to be the first line of getting what you're looking for...;)

humm The racks and half teir table displays might make Aliens or Star War bases for the bigger props or figures

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back