Pricing and Protecting Your Stuff?

Osanagokoro

Gawd I hope this is the right place for this... I've written and re-written this post time and again and I'm just gonna tl;dr it at this point.

Long time member of the forums but I don't like talking or speaking up or anything. Been building props since the 90's and kind of mixed a background of materials engineering with fine art. Had a decent career making props for a few movie studios and production companies, been paid to make props and even paid to teach people how to make props. I've even built stuff that is in space. No exaggeration, stuff I have helped build is 90,000,000 kilometers from Earth. Stuff I've done has been featured on the news, in industry magazines and more but... I hate being focused on. Rather people look at the prop and go 'omg that awesome so cool' while I meld into the background if I can.... I don't like being front and center.

Recently took a job with someone- they said it was for a charity film and they contacted me through a charity group I volunteer for. They wanted a few pieces done. A 4' x 6' miniature set that looked like an asteroid and a spaceship that looked like "a dragonfly mixed with something NASA built mixed with something from Interstellar." He needed it all done in 2 and a half weeks. They negotiated me down with the understanding of the good/cheap/fast triangle and they wanted it cheap and fast. Given they played the charity angle I took less than a quarter what I would have charged a big studio. Finished the asteroid set and it looked AMAZING. Photos from it with the right lighting and it'd look like you took a photo off the DART lander and people in the shop were joking about doing a fake moon landing using teletubbies with it. I was proud.

Was 60% done with the spaceship.

Had gotten half payment up front and still had half due.

Part of the contract was the client was to transport the piece under the understanding it was fragile. You know, fast and cheap. Despite that it was still constructed with materials I've used in props that are still around 10+ years later. I had the client sign a receipt saying they were happy with it and it was in good condition upon pickup. Took lots of photos to prove it was AWESOME and intact. The client proceeded to drop the piece loading it into a rented uhaul van and then transported it across town with no padding, straps, foam or anything. Just set it on the bottom of the van bed and drove off. Despite lots of warnings and insistings that they pad it.

The client called back a few days later throwing a temper tantrum that the piece had cracks in it. I offered to do any patchwork free because, hey, I am a nice guy.... but they were responsible for transporting the prop. Instead, the guy kept asking what else I could do like I should give it all to him free. When I didn't relent he cancelled the contract despite being well into production. I could literally hear the guy's wife yelling at him for spending money on a vanity project over the phone.

A friend of mine started doing some digging- the guy's run about a dozen different real estate companies and his so-called movie studio seems to be this guy's graduate film or something- and the rush was because he wants to show it at a Christian Film Festival in March.

I've been around. I've got a good reputation and I've done a LOT of work. Most of the people in the area know I'm good and deliver something cool and worthwhile given the right time and money. However, this guy's now going around saying I do shoddy work. He's showing off photos of the BACK of set pieces and showing photos of cracks that weren't there upon pick-up. Got photographic proof of it, I know because I was proud of the piece.

Anyway, tl;dr version is gettng tl to r but ... he's out there telling people I do shoddy work. I don't know what to do and kind of want to know what people suggest against this kind of situation? How do you folks deal with people who can't be satisfied? I have the legal contract and the receipt that the guy signed upon pickup for the original prop- what do I do? I really don't want to get into a legal battle but I know if I show a judge the photos and progress made I'd win but... suggestions? I really want to move on with it and just get back to building and making stuff for other folks but I've heard from 2 people now that the guy's been saying atrocious things about my work. What do I do? Anyone run into something similar?

If this is the wrong forum move it but I thought... maybe here? I really don't know where else I could post or ask for advice...

Attachments

• 20230202_170342.jpg
    20230202_170342.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 129
I think the only way to solve this problem is to take it to small claims court. If what you say is true, about the customer accepting the product and not heeding your warnings about transportation, that's on him, not you. More than likely he will post an unfavourable review about you, whether or not he pays you the full amount or not so you might as well get paid the full amount. You have all the proof that you need with receipts and stuff, and the judge will look at that.

Some places have a mediation program that gets the parties together to resolve issues to save the courts time. Each side can explain the case to the mediator and hopefully reach an agreement, but you hold all the cards. I seriously doubt that any judge would rule against you.

Every business has dealt with customers who can't be satisfied no matter what. Most review platforms have a response section so the reviewed party can actually reply back to the accusation. As a customer, I've read several complaints about companies that were unjustifiable. They stand out like sore thumbs and most customers would not let a "Karen" rant, prevent them from doing business with that company.

TazMan2000

I think the only way to solve this problem is to take it to small claims court. If what you say is true, about the customer accepting the product and not heeding your warnings about transportation, that's on him, not you. More than likely he will post an unfavourable review about you, whether or not he pays you the full amount or not so you might as well get paid the full amount. You have all the proof that you need with receipts and stuff, and the judge will look at that.

Some places have a mediation program that gets the parties together to resolve issues to save the courts time. Each side can explain the case to the mediator and hopefully reach an agreement, but you hold all the cards. I seriously doubt that any judge would rule against you.

Every business has dealt with customers who can't be satisfied no matter what. Most review platforms have a response section so the reviewed party can actually reply back to the accusation. As a customer, I've read several complaints about companies that were unjustifiable. They stand out like sore thumbs and most customers would not let a "Karen" rant, prevent them from doing business with that company.

TazMan2000
Thank you, I know you're right and am tempted to walk away without the remaining money but that little demon on the shoulder is just going 'REVENGE!!!' but I'd rather not cow-tow to that.

I'll talk to my legal friend about mediation. I was really hoping NOT to go that route but ... yeah. Maybe I should.

Is this something you folks see often in this industry lately? Feels like I've seen it more lately.

Edit- also now realizing I didn't take a photo from 20 feet away showing the whole thing was a set, hah! Everything's on 'stage'

Attachments

• 20230202_145528.jpg
    20230202_145528.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 124
Unfortunately, I've seen it way too often. Probably because some people get away with it. Sometimes its just easier to give back their money rather than going to court, especially when several people are involved, or business is done with a handshake and no documentation..

Fortunately you have documentation that the customer signed and I'm sure an email trail for the initial contract.

If I had the backup info you had, I wouldn't hesitate to take this to small claims. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep worrying about it. Slam dunk.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
Seems like the client is using the normal excuses/threats and tarnishing your reputation and good name in the Industry:mad:
With all the documentation you have I would go to small claim court to shut him once and for all, including a clear order to stop the harassment/bad mouthing you on line!

I have no experience with commissions, however if this person needed it done cheap and fast, I'd also say take it to court. It doesn't sound like they could afford a legal battle so it might just be that he stops because of the threat of legal action. If you have all the documentation, him signing that he accepted it as an acceptable job, etc. the ball is in your court.

I wouldn't worry about him badmouthing you. Sounds like he doesn't have any credibility in the industry, so anything he says can't hurt you.
As far as the money, I'll go either the concensus about filing a small claims suit.

Thank all of you for the advice. I feel better knowing I'm not in the wrong for feeling like this and wasn't seeing an outlier kind of thing...

You all are wonderful and going to talk to someone this week about small claims.

Yes, I can only concur with what has already been said here. If you do good work, that will speak for itself, every customer knows that there are other customers out there that are just unsatisfiable... and you can usually read that out of the comments that they make. So do not worry about it, stand up for your rights and any hot air that this guy blows will eventually pass. The proof and precautions that you took are exemplary and will likely make a short process of any trial.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back