prerequisite movies for friends

blondienation

Does anyone else have a movie that must be watched by friends to judge if they are your kinda people?
I know I do, when I meet new people I make them The Wicker Man (1973) and if they hate it, then they go! I can accept a shrug and thats 'okay' but if it gets the same reaction that I gave when I first saw it aged 12 then those people move up in my estimations and move up my christmas card list!
what movies do you 'test' friends with?

Not a prereq, because I know and like all kinds of people, but let's be honest: there's only so close and far you can get with your friends if you don't have some movie/music/book/whatever overlap.

big lebowski and the boondock saints

if you cant laugh at those then you probably cant be friends with me.....

Hmm... WARNING: If your ice-breaker includes forcing relative strangers to watch your favourite movie in order to decide whether We May Be Friends... it's possible you are That Guy.

;-P

No. But I do like knowing what types of movies my friends do and don't like. That way, when they say, "Oh, you should see such-and-such," I'll know whether I should give it a chance or not even bother.

No. But I do like knowing what types of movies my friends do and don't like. That way, when they say, "Oh, you should see such-and-such," I'll know whether I should give it a chance or not even bother.

I agree. I usually end up bringing it up in conversation at some point in case we're looking for something to do while hanging out.

Burton & Nolan Bat-movies, Dark City, Inception, and most of the old Bond stuff (Connery and Dalton, Moore never hit the right chord with me)

I know I do, when I meet new people I make them The Wicker Man (1973) and if they hate it, then they go! I can accept a shrug and thats 'okay' but if it gets the same reaction that I gave when I first saw it aged 12 then those people move up in my estimations and move up my christmas card list!

Since my girlfriend's grandfather directed that flick, that is actually the same trial I went through with her family.

when i would interview people to work for me I would ask them jokingly what there favorite movie was to break the ice. If it was just a ridiculous choice I would not hire them. I felt they had poor judgement lol.

^ I can see that. If anyone ever said to me, "My favorite movie is Xanadu!" and meant it, I'd have nothing more to say to that person. Ever. :cool

"You seem like an awesome guy, but what did you think of 'The Goonies?'"

I can't completely judge my friends' character based on what movies they think are awesome. I've had some extremely close friends for over 20 years and what movies they like and I like are irrelevant. My friends are awesome people of which the quality of those relationships could not possibly be further exceeded in how much I have valued those friends.

The tight knit group of friends I have had over the years stems back from grade school and here i'm 33 years old. You could not see one of them for 3 months and then meet up at a gathering for one of their kid's birthday parties and it would be just like picking up where you left off. The last thing we pester each other about is what movies they like vs. I like. They know I'm the Star Wars freak, my other friend is the Trekkie, one is the martial arts movie master of which we have barely anything in common over discussing that genre, one just doesn't go to movies much, one loves sports movies, one I have no clue what movies they even watch, and so on and so on. Everybody just gets along real well.

Occasionally we discuss some cool movies out there, but it's only a fraction of what we all talk about, which somehow for hours we're all able to still BS about anything and everything without tiring. You'd think by now there was nothing left to discuss, haha!

Since my girlfriend's grandfather directed that flick, that is actually the same trial I went through with her family.

I hope you passed! it is the one movie I hold above all others.
so you're somewhat related to Robin Hardy! thats amazing. I cant wait till his next movie The Wicker Tree!

I hope you passed! it is the one movie I hold above all others.
so you're somewhat related to Robin Hardy! thats amazing. I cant wait till his next movie The Wicker Tree!

Heh, they're way too nice to judge me 'cause of a movie. But I was already a fan of The Wicker Man long before I ever met my gal (while studying film, no less); so it wouldn't have mattered if they did! I've learned some cool stuff 'bout the making of it, that's for sure!

Heh, they're way too nice to judge me 'cause of a movie. But I was already a fan of The Wicker Man long before I ever met my gal (while studying film, no less); so it wouldn't have mattered if they did! I've learned some cool stuff 'bout the making of it, that's for sure!

encourage Mr.Hardy to write about the making of the movie, I have read and/or bought everything so far about it's inception, making and troubled birth and would love to read a full account by the writer/director himself rather than just snippets here and there as all the facts surrounding The Wicker Man are constantly contradicted. Mark Kermode tries to iron as many of these out as he can while doing the audio commentary but there is still interest I'm sure in a book from Robin Hardy's perspective. Maybe he is tired of talking about the film but as has said all he wants to on the matter but I could never grow bored with reading about that movie and I'm sure there are thousands who would agree.

Not with movies, but music. Before I met my current girlfriend a girl I went out with turned the channel (instead of cranking the volume) on the radio when Van Halen's Panama came on. There was no second date. :lol

encourage Mr.Hardy to write about the making of the movie, I have read and/or bought everything so far about it's inception, making and troubled birth and would love to read a full account by the writer/director himself rather than just snippets here and there as all the facts surrounding The Wicker Man are constantly contradicted. Mark Kermode tries to iron as many of these out as he can while doing the audio commentary but there is still interest I'm sure in a book from Robin Hardy's perspective. Maybe he is tired of talking about the film but as has said all he wants to on the matter but I could never grow bored with reading about that movie and I'm sure there are thousands who would agree.

Well, I still haven't met him, but I hope to do so soon (where I'll be able to pick his brain). Even though I haven't, I've heard some great stories from his son (my gal's father), in regards to its creation, which are incredible... I felt like I was privy to unknown tales from one of Britain's greatest films.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back