Pred Heads

TuaCathach

I'm still fairly fresh to the whole Predator prop side of things .. i'm only a member here the last couple of months but there is not a day goes by that i'm not on here. I've looked at literally nearly every photo and image posted on here as well as reading a vast majority of the threads, and have to say i'm well impressed by the skill levels of people here and innovation they show when constucting costumes and sculpts etc...

BUT...

one thing that stands out and ithink its to people detriment is the scale issue...
alot of people are making fantastic pieces of work in particular head sculpts.. but they are making them to big... ok if your 7"6, then your fine as its in proportion.. but lets face it not many of us are anywhere near that height. so for people who sculpt it to the movie accurate size then stick it on they end up looking more like nodding dolls. with great costumes and over sized heads.. don't get me wrong the heads and work are fantastic... just the scale guys....

we all have common interests here and i'm not having a go at anyone or trying to put any particular persons work down.. i think with the time and effort put ino the suits and builds that this one small or rather large area seems to get overlooked....

Just a thought
Colm

grusderks heads are much smaller than the rest

you missed the point i think.... there are guys out there doing scaled heads...ok take grusderk as an example.. also Usurper.... and one or two others scale them down.. what i am talking about is the over sized ones... plenty of peole making them

Hmmmm true but some could be used for display only. Like Make a bust out of the over sized mask. Do the people usually say they are making them for a costume? If not they could just be made for some nice eye candy and just be put up for display once they are dreaded up and stuff.

Hmmmm true but some could be used for display only. Like Make a bust out of the over sized mask. Do the people usually say they are making them for a costume? If not they could just be made for some nice eye candy and just be put up for display once they are dreaded up and stuff.

Again you missed the point .... not in a bad way Garo.. kudos to you for raising that point.. but if youread my post it's in referance to suit builds...

1:1 scale on bust is fine......

I guess I dont understand still. Are you asking others like usurper to make smaller heads rather than to scale heads. if thats the case then I stand by what I said grusderk makes smaller heads than all the rest. Plus Ive never seen a costume that looks out of wack with head sizes unless you made your own and then they kinda go all over the place. Ive seen a 5 ft tall pred with a movie accurate head and all the parts looked the same he just looked like a runt pred but still looked the part. You dont have to be 7ft tall to be a pred. let me know if Im getting this right.

haha not a million miles off....

ok simple...

movie scale head on 7ft body looks good.. all other parts of suit in propotion.
movie scale head on 5ft body(your example) looks out of proportion. rest of the suit is scaled down to fit bar the head,,

makes for looking like a a bobble head..

no not asking guys to make smaller heads... was simply raising a point.. there are some fantastic suit builds that are let down by proportions... i.e. the heads are way to big.. and there are plenty of examples i could pick but i won't simple becasue people take pride in their builds and their suits and i don't want to offend.....

what my original post is, is an observation..... pure and simple observation of some of the things that get overlooked by people when building a full suit

got it.

On another topic you brought up. I have no problem in letting the artist know how I feel about thier work. If I dont like the paint I'll say somthing. If I dont like anything I let them know. I have had nothing but great responses form everyone. Not one of them think Im didding thier work. So long story short let them know what you dont like in a reasonably nice way and they will work with you. It gives them room to grow beyond what they thought they could do. This should go for everyone. If you dont like it say something. Dont be the person that gets thier stuff in the mail and all they do is say way to go its freekin great when deep down inside you wish it could have had a little of this or more of that. Cause then the next guy gets the same thing and now he has to secretly say good job im happy with it. You shouldnt be able to offend a true artist cause art is in the eye of the beholder. Its just constructive criticism.

I hear what your saying. We have a Lady that does the Vader in the 501st and she had a special 90% helmet and mask done so she would be more in proportion. It would be nice if everyone could get a mask that was specifically sized to the individuals head. Alas, this is not the case. o_O

got it.

On another topic you brought up. I have no problem in letting the artist know how I feel about thier work. If I dont like the paint I'll say somthing. If I dont like anything I let them know. I have had nothing but great responses form everyone. Not one of them think Im didding thier work. So long story short let them know what you dont like in a reasonably nice way and they will work with you. It gives them room to grow beyond what they thought they could do. This should go for everyone. If you dont like it say something. Dont be the person that gets thier stuff in the mail and all they do is say way to go its freekin great when deep down inside you wish it could have had a little of this or more of that. Cause then the next guy gets the same thing and now he has to secretly say good job im happy with it. You shouldnt be able to offend a true artist cause art is in the eye of the beholder. Its just constructive criticism.

I agree. i personally have no problem letting someone know i''m not happy with their work espically when i am paying big money for it. i will voice my opinion... but the thing to remember is that as always is my opinion.... if we at least voice our opinions then we are making people aware but ultimatly they make the decision to buy or not to buy......

but we are deviating slightly off topic here altho there is relevance in your post...

I hear what your saying. We have a Lady that does the Vader in the 501st and she had a special 90% helmet and mask done so she would be more in proportion. It would be nice if everyone could get a mask that was specifically sized to the individuals head. Alas, this is not the case. o_O

exactly .. however i'm not implying get them made to suit individuals heads.. which would be unfeesable for any mask maker to do....
take an average size head and work with that... make it propotional to the body size of a normal person( hard to define a normal person i know)...

I make my masks to a size "I" see fit, if you dont like it .

TOUGH !

EDIT: i have NEVER sculpted a pred head looking purely to sell them, i sculpt them because i love the pred and thoroughly enjoy the challenges, personally couldnt give a rats ass if i never sold another mask, that is not and will never be the reason i got into this hobby.

This thread is gonna go bad no matter what is said or what point is trying to be made. To open a thread bashing peoples work is bad form, no matter what point is trying to be made. Some "observations" are better left unsaid.

This thread is gonna go bad no matter what is said or what point is trying to be made. To open a thread bashing peoples work is bad form, no matter what point is trying to be made. Some "observations" are better left unsaid.

complete misinterpritaion altogether my friend.....

this thread is not bashing peoples work or skills as i said at the start i am not doubting or knocking peoples skills. in fact i have great admiration for almost everyone on here that has these skills....

point was about the proportions.... nothing more.

All good points, gentlemen. There certainly has been some glaring examples of the "Bobble-Head Syndrome" around here.

I think it is possible to mass-produce a pred head that is more in proportion to the average Joe's height and build out there---5'8" - 6'0". I do not advocate recasting, but I would think that an artist could recast his own head (latex), resulting in a smaller version of the original---just a thought. If it's difficult finding just the right mask, you could always make your own to the right size---necessity being the mother of invention.

On the matter of constructive criticism, BVP is right, more people ought to speak up about people's work, especially in threads dealing with new sculpts. I can understand the hesitancy, no one wants to be the party pooper. But, for those with experience, it's crucial for them to add their input to those who are new to the game, saving them aggravation and money. It's not always what you say, but how you say it. Objectivity is far more important than getting defensive.

complete misinterpritaion altogether my friend.....

this thread is not bashing peoples work or skills as i said at the start i am not doubting or knocking peoples skills. in fact i have great admiration for almost everyone on here that has these skills....

point was about the proportions.... nothing more.

As i reread your post a couple times, I should have not posted the response I did. As Carl said all valid points, and as you said "don't get me wrong the heads and work are fantastic... just the scale guys.... " you were just making that point. I stand corrected. Constructive criticism is good. It makes us all strive for better results and if we cant lend a helping hand to other members then why are we here.

Apologies.

got it.
Dont be the person that gets thier stuff in the mail and all they do is say way to go its freekin great when deep down inside you wish it could have had a little of this or more of that. Cause then the next guy gets the same thing and now he has to secretly say good job im happy with it. You shouldnt be able to offend a true artist cause art is in the eye of the beholder. Its just constructive criticism.
But this hasn't got anything to do with the artist. If you don't like the sculpt, don't buy it. Most people buy someone's sculpt based on pictures the artist shows. The artists says "this is what I make, this is how I can paint it". So you know how the raw mask will look like, you know how it can look like painted. The artist will paint it like you want it to be, you want a movie accurate pred or a blue Smurf pred I dont think the artists cares. So if you end up with a item you don't like, you have done something wrong, not the artist.

All good points, gentlemen. There certainly has been some glaring examples of the "Bobble-Head Syndrome" around here.
This is something else. I've seen some costumes that I thought were horrible, but in the threads everybody stays positive. I'd love to say the costume of the guy sucks, but he did put a lot of effort in it and he shows it to everybody because he's proud of it. The last thing the guy wants to hear is that his costume looks like ****. He doesn't deserve it to be bashed, just wear the silly outfit and people will love it anyway. So what it's not 100% movie accurate, we movienerds know it, but the crowd doesn't notice it. They'll make photo's anyway.

If I ever get a costume and paid good money for it and show it here I don't want to hear "dude my 13 year old son is bigger than you, you suck as a Predator" and that Usurper agrees with "yeah that's not a Predator, that's a Yautja!". I love being in denial. o_O

There are lots of different Pred heads on the market, some bigger than others. All you have to do is pick one that's a good size for your own height. Remember even the tall movie Preds had oversized bobble-head masks on. They compinsated them with oversized hands and oversized feet to make a more even blend across the suit.

I personally prefer a larger sized mask, because the taller a mask is, the taller it makes you while wearing your costume, and I think the goal of all Pred costumers should be to get as much height as you can while wearing your costume, while still keeping the proportions looking good. The mask I have is decent sized and it's not the smallest or largest mask around, but together with the suit, looks OK.

Out of costume I'm just a hair under 6' tall. In costume I'm 6'8". I'm not even using one of the taller head sculpts out there.

But this hasn't got anything to do with the artist. If you don't like the sculpt, don't buy it. Most people buy someone's sculpt based on pictures the artist shows. The artists says "this is what I make, this is how I can paint it". So you know how the raw mask will look like, you know how it can look like painted. The artist will paint it like you want it to be, you want a movie accurate pred or a blue Smurf pred I dont think the artists cares. So if you end up with a item you don't like, you have done something wrong, not the artist.

I beg to differ Bud,I have bought from a lot of people here and it all depends on the artists.there's some great artist here but just because they are great artist does not mean they are good business people.some times you get to see pics of the first cast or the piece the artist casted for themselves and in some cases it varies from what you get and saw in the pics for example: you may see a bio ,mask,skins or armor whatever the pruduct may be and in the pics it looks great but when you get it you find out that the artist made the bio super thin(decided to go cheap at your expense and only did a few coats of resin ) therefore making the bio brittle and easy to warp.others show you bad ass pics and tell you they can sell you a cast of their sculpt but what they don't tell you is that the mold it's at the end of it's use and it will come with imperfections.
I'm in no way saying that everybody does this but there are a few here that do.I will also agree with BVP peopleDO need to speak more about their dealings.because of the same stupid feedback:"great mask "or "great product "or "bad ass bio" I have made some terrible choices when it comes to sellers and it makes me wonder what the **** are those fuckers smoking on to leave good feedback for such a ****** product! therefore now I tend to stick to what I know and who I know(Biohunter,Carlat,TMI,Mannowar,Ronin,Bambooie,ta2pro,Ice,etc,etc) when acquiring a prop or services. Of course there is a lot of sellers here that I have not had the pleasure to deal with (Usurper,Uratz,shaitan,Hez,mangagrasshopper)but they come highly recomended by people who has the same quality standards as me.To you people I hope to do business with you in the near future.

I'm still in shock at the product quality that some members here are satisfied with,just in awe at such conformity.but hey who am I to judge it's not my money and it's not going on my collection.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back