Power Gonk Droid. Built out of wood

cornbread

Hi,
Wanted to show off my new power droid. Built mostly out of 1/2 inch plywood and drainage pipe. Thanks to everyone who came before me for inspiration and instruction. SANY3164.JPGSANY3163.JPG

Hey man this looks great! I was just thinking about building one of these myself, ironic that you just happen to post this today. Any tips or sources of inspiration you could point me towards. I've never done a star wars droid prop before and I'm a bit lost as to where to start.

Bravo by the way. Looks great!

It looks great.
Well done. :thumbsup

Hey man this looks great! I was just thinking about building one of these myself, ironic that you just happen to post this today. Any tips or sources of inspiration you could point me towards. I've never done a star wars droid prop before and I'm a bit lost as to where to start.

Bravo by the way. Looks great!
Search bar at the top of the page.

Wow,what a great job. It looks fantastic. Do you have progress shots? I recently did one out of Rubbermaid bins and I am relly unhappy with the overall stability of the body. I would love to see more on this and hear what ever tips you have on the construction.

It looks great.
Well done. :thumbsup

Search bar at the top of the page.

Yes I have tried that. There is some information on other threads here but very much. Most searches here on the threads and online just lead to people mentioning the droid but not talk of how to actually go about building it.

lovely work there cornbread :) he looks fantastic

The gonk is a droid within everybodys reach, and making him from plywood rather than tubs means that you can get almost screen acurate results, I love it.

also SGT Tasty Wheat I have posted the measurements and simple plans for the gonk that i built on my http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=207723 thread spacebobs droids if it helps getting you started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all.
Spacebobs post is what is printed up in my binder on page one
SANY2922.JPGSANY2883.JPGSANY2882.JPG
I took spacebob's measurements, converted them to imperial, and then had to shrink them slightly to fit under the desk. Mine is 1 meter tall, the official size is 1.1 meters. (I know, thats metric)

The downsize to wood is that there is 2/3rds of a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood, a 8 foot 2x4, not to mention solid wood feet. So it is too heavy for a costume, but makes a great desk assistant.

The other fun/difficult part is deciding what it looks like. There is no image of all sides of any of the power droids. The best guess is in the ps4 battlefront game. The most famous one is in the sandcrawler (with the 'E' on the side). Of course the first one kenner made is actually based on the one at lars homestead.

SANY2928.JPGSANY2923.JPGDifferent size notches in the feet. The left is with the table saw set at 15 degrees, the right is at 30 degrees. I originally was going to have a wood base and hinge the 2 halves to open like a car hood so I could easily access it for storage. I decided it was easier to make a sturdier foot and forgo the base. It just slides on the carpet now.

That makes sense cornbread the proportions looked familiar to mine, and those blocky feet..... :)
Just for the record the sizes of my gonk aren't official sizes, they were arrived at by me... I think the one in ep4 was quite a bit bigger than 1.1 metres but as R2 is supposed to be that high it seemed about right.
Why doesn't everybody make a gonk. The best droid. #justgonk

Last edited by a moderator:
This was just what I was looking for. As cool as the rubber tote versions are, they still look like modern day rubber totes to me, so it was nice to see someone tackle this in wood.

Off to the hardware store I go!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back