Possible open-world Star Wars game by Ubisoft

True although you would think that if you just rehash the exact same game year after year, your fanbase would get fed up and just not buy the latest version. Why would I buy 2k20 with extra microtransactions when I can get 2k18 for much cheaper and the same mechanics?

In a sense, EA is a genius in how well they can extract that last dollar from their fanbase.

Yeah its crazy. My cousin buys the new FIFA every year and plays ultimate team with his friends, paying about $500 extra in microtransactions (I know alot of people pay more) Then tires of playing it in 3-4 months. Then rinse and repeat Every year.

For me, if an open-world RPG isn’t at least as good as Skyrim, it’s not worth playing. Preferably better, considering that game is 10 years old, but still. Considering Ubisoft’s track record on game design, however (copy & paste content, trailing missions, stories that go nowhere, microtransactions to bypass the boring grind of their games, etc.), it seems unlikely. Frankly, I’d prefer a a true remake (from the ground up) of Bounty Hunter, or the unreleased and unfinished 1313, but those probably won’t happen.

For me, if an open-world RPG isn’t at least as good as Skyrim, it’s not worth playing. Preferably better, considering that game is 10 years old, but still. Considering Ubisoft’s track record on game design, however (copy & paste content, trailing missions, stories that go nowhere, microtransactions to bypass the boring grind of their games, etc.), it seems unlikely. Frankly, I’d prefer a a true remake (from the ground up) of Bounty Hunter, or the unreleased and unfinished 1313, but those probably won’t happen.
I would say at least half as good as Witcher 3, which is still much better than any other open world.

True although you would think that if you just rehash the exact same game year after year, your fanbase would get fed up and just not buy the latest version. Why would I buy 2k20 with extra microtransactions when I can get 2k18 for much cheaper and the same mechanics?

In a sense, EA is a genius in how well they can extract that last dollar from their fanbase.
I think that a large part of it is because sports fans want to be able to play using the latest team rosters. So while the 2018 version of the game plays the same as the 2020, you don't have all of the new players and all of the players who are now playing for other teams, or even retired players who are no longer playing. To hard sports fan these things would be just as important as the game mechanics, perhaps more important.

I think that a large part of it is because sports fans want to be able to play using the latest team rosters. So while the 2018 version of the game plays the same as the 2020, you don't have all of the new players and all of the players who are now playing for other teams, or even retired players who are no longer playing. To hard sports fan these things would be just as important as the game mechanics, perhaps more important.

You can build your own current year roster for much less than 60 bucks. Hell, they USED to let you get updated rosters for your games, too.

Didn't EA make like 6 billion last year, something like double what the entire american film industry made, or am I making this fantasy up?

You can build your own current year roster for much less than 60 bucks. Hell, they USED to let you get updated rosters for your games, too.
Didn't know that. But then again, I'm not into sports so I don't play sports games, I don't even participate in Super Bowl pools, that's how much I'm not into sports and sports games. :D I'm honestly surprised they'd let you do that since I'd figure that a sure fire way to get people to buy the latest version of the game each is to make that the only way to get the current year's roster.

Yeah well they and Disney (and a lot of fans...) seem to equate making money with a top quality product. None of the current crop of games are anywhere close to being as good as the SW games that came out since 95. I think we all know there are a certain portion of fans that will read "Star Wars" on something and just throw money at it.

I played Star Wars Galaxies back in the day. Being in the Star Wars universe was amazing!!! ...for a time.

Then the game became a job - go hunting, level up, gather resources, buy equipment. I lost interest in just a few months.

Hope this is something different...

Sean

I played Star Wars Galaxies back in the day. Being in the Star Wars universe was amazing!!! ...for a time.

Then the game became a job - go hunting, level up, gather resources, buy equipment. I lost interest in just a few months.

Sean
But that's the nature of an MMO though, there is no real end game, just the endless grind to level up and get more and better loot. I'm sure that this new open world Star Wars game will be better since it will almost certainly have a strong narrative/story and an ending that you will be working too. That's not to say that there won't be some grinding and looking for loot involved, just that it all works towards an end goal and the game should, being open world, take as long as you like to get there. Hopefully it will also be like other open world games and allow you to choose how to play the game as well and won't force you to be a gun toting bounty hunter type or a lightsaber wielding Jedi.

But that's the nature of an MMO though, there is no real end game, just the endless grind to level up and get more and better loot. I'm sure that this new open world Star Wars game will be better since it will almost certainly have a strong narrative/story and an ending that you will be working too. That's not to say that there won't be some grinding and looking for loot involved, just that it all works towards an end goal and the game should, being open world, take as long as you like to get there. Hopefully it will also be like other open world games and allow you to choose how to play the game as well and won't force you to be a gun toting bounty hunter type or a lightsaber wielding Jedi.
That’s fair...maybe I’m just not an MMO fan :p

Sean

That’s fair...maybe I’m just not an MMO fan :p

Sean
Yeah, MMOs are not for everybody. Having played several over the years, I enjoy them for a while but after several months, especially after hitting the levelling slow down, I get tired of them and stop playing. I think that many people who really enjoy them are the more sociable and usually are a part of a large, often very active,. guild or clan and will usually have one or more other people to play with at all times. These guilds/clans will often help new members, or new characters of existing members, level up faster and get the better gear without the long grind. Plus they'll often just hang out in the game and use it as a sort of interactive chat room; then there's the raids which is something many clans/guilds (and random players) work towards and for them, that's essentially the end game, get their characters good enough to go on raid after raid.

Sean
The real secret to swg was the PVP. It had the most unique and fun pvp game I have ever played outside of the FPS genre. SWG is a great example of amazing ideas executed half well and half poorly. It had some of the best concepts for an open world game that were over shadowed by it's other failures.

The real secret to swg was the PVP. It had the most unique and fun pvp game I have ever played outside of the FPS genre. SWG is a great example of amazing ideas executed half well and half poorly. It had some of the best concepts for an open world game that were over shadowed by it's other failures.

I really enjoyed the start of it, you could really do what you wanted. Shame it became a mess in the end.

I hope these new devs play the swgemu, just to get some perspective on the only open world star wars rpg ever created.
As much as I hate to be a pessimist, I doubt that will happen. Chances are that, since this is Ubisoft, this new Star Wars game will be a tweaked and reskinned Assassin's Creed. Which might not be too bad of a thing if it's based of AC: Odyssey, I've heard not so good thing about Valhalla.

As much as I hate to be a pessimist, I doubt that will happen. Chances are that, since this is Ubisoft, this new Star Wars game will be a tweaked and reskinned Assassin's Creed. Which might not be too bad of a thing if it's based of AC: Odyssey, I've heard not so good thing about Valhalla.
I'll be optimistic on that and say they will use the Beyond Good and Evil 2 tech since it was designed for ground to space gameplay.

I’m not a fan of the AC series and heard bad things about Valhalla. I agree a Star Wars skin AC won’t really be fun. I’m just hoping with the opening of the license, a good publisher can get their hands on it and make something good as opposed to hoping for gold from Ubisoft.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back