Possible open-world Star Wars game by Ubisoft

HeartBlade

Sr Member
Saw that some video game news is also posted here so added this for possible discussion.

2 interesting points imo.

1) EA previously had an exclusive license but it seems they have lost that exclusivity. Disney was obviously not happy with their performance. Although Ubisoft is working on the id game, Disney could be looking to other studios to make Star Wars games as well (I think Platinum Games could make an amazing Star Wars action game or Rockstar an amazing open world that is more nuanced).

2) Ubisoft isnt much better than EA in my opinion but they do have a lot of experience with open world games (Assassins Creed). Given that EA had scrapped plans for a Star Wars open world, I wonder if this is a brand new IP or if they are recycling some ideas from that abandoned project.

I just hope it's not about Mandalorians like I've seen people asking about since this was announced. The show is good but it's not the entirety of the value in Star Wars.

It's hard not to compare an open world game with KOTOR, but they really have their work cut out for them with this

That’s true. And given Ubisoft tending to not being that innovative, I can see them go the “safe” route and have your character be a Mandalorian bounty Hunter in the open world.

to be fair, I do feel that for an open world game a bounty hunter is the way to go. Bounty hunters have a reason to travel the universe solo killing people and can access both the civilized and uncivilized worlds due to the nature of their work. The alternative is Jedi and that would be its own can of worms. And if you are a bounty Hunter, you want to be able to play as a Mandalorian.

Giving some love to Bossk or other kinds of hunters would be cool but games have to appeal to the masses as well.

That’s true. And given Ubisoft tending to not being that innovative, I can see them go the “safe” route and have your character be a Mandalorian bounty Hunter in the open world.

to be fair, I do feel that for an open world game a bounty hunter is the way to go. Bounty hunters have a reason to travel the universe solo killing people and can access both the civilized and uncivilized worlds due to the nature of their work. The alternative is Jedi and that would be its own can of worms. And if you are a bounty Hunter, you want to be able to play as a Mandalorian.

Giving some love to Bossk or other kinds of hunters would be cool but games have to appeal to the masses as well.
I agree, having your character be a bounty hunter would probably give you the most flexibility in terms of gameplay. It allows you to work with both the Rebellion and the Empire (depending on the setting) and you can go lethal or non-lethal depending on how you feel. The only other option that might work is playing a Rebel agent like Diego Luna's character in Rogue One, where you're a good guy but with discretion to do "bad" things as needed.

From what I saw, they're starting up a newer version of Lucas Arts called Lucas Games or something like that that now handles all SW games. It's not going to be the original LA making stuff themselves, but rather farming it out - but it means they set all terms.

I'm not real optimistic. I'm playing Ghost Recon Wildlands right now and while it's fun (and I got it on sale for $5) it gets really tedious right off the bat. The sequel was even worse apparently. Now I'm not saying things can't change, but unless they get new people on this I don't know how it will turn out. I'd rather see Rockstar take a crack at it because they know how to make big, really good, open world games. Of course the problem with that is you get a really good singleplayer game, but no DLC and then they only make new content for the online component for years.

I'm not real optimistic. I'm playing Ghost Recon Wildlands right now and while it's fun (and I got it on sale for $5) it gets really tedious right off the bat. The sequel was even worse apparently. Now I'm not saying things can't change, but unless they get new people on this I don't know how it will turn out. I'd rather see Rockstar take a crack at it because they know how to make big, really good, open world games. Of course the problem with that is you get a really good singleplayer game, but no DLC and then they only make new content for the online component for years.
I agree in that I’m not happy that Ubisoft has access to the license but the fact that it is no longer EA exclusive is great news in my book. EA really doesn’t know how to make good games and basically are surviving from being able to copy/paste Call of Duty or their licensed sports games with a new coat of paint.

I agree I would much rather see an open world game helmed by Rockstar, maybe a rebels game by Naughty Dog, a Fallen Order sequel by FromSoft or Koei. These studios know how to take risks and make good games. If the narrative changes dont pay off, well how many people really think the games are canon lol (see the Shadow of games for LotR. Fun games that butcher the lore but still fun).

It will still be EA from what I understand, they’ve just lost their exclusivity
From what i've heard it's going to be like LA phase 2, They want to do a certain game and put it out for bid or whatever the process is/was. Or they'll contact a company to say 'we'd like you to make this for us'.

I think EA is actually kind of in that same category these. I don't think they actually make much of anything. They've bought companies (like bioware) but they still hire outside companies to make stuff for them. However they force their damn microtransaction BS down whoever's throat.

I hope that's how they are operating because I'd rather they put out an idea and pick a studio they think can execute it rather than just keep feeding it to EA. I'm not an anti-EA fanboy, but they do have a track record. That is kind of how LucasArts operated at the end when they stopped making games and became a publisher.

it makes sense for ubisoft to make an open world game if it uses the beyond good and evil 2 game engine. The tech they have created for that game is everything you would want for a star wars game. EA's exclusive deal was for only 10 years and expires next year I believe.

I think EA is actually kind of in that same category these. I don't think they actually make much of anything. They've bought companies (like bioware) but they still hire outside companies to make stuff for them. However they force their damn microtransaction BS down whoever's throat.

Yes you are right. EA has always been a publisher since their foundation and increasing outsource their game development to other studios (that they acquired).

Historically, it seems that their modus operandi is to make money through the exclusive delivery of software via licensing. Their big long-term money makers have been sports games (NFL with Madden, NBA, FIFA, UFC) and gamers willing to bury the new version every year. They did stumble and monopolize a clear money maker and if they ever lose that sports license, that is when EA will be in trouble. Not that it will happen any time soon.

Exclusivity sucks. All it does is line the pockets of whoever is selling the license. Even EA's sports games were better when they had to compete with others like Sega. It boggles the mind that they can still find newer things to put into things like NFL 2021 or whatever it's at these days to get people to spend another 60 bucks every year for a new version.

I'm sure they were stunned at how well Fallen Empire did without an online component.

LucasArts was the first company to stick a story in their FPS (Dark Forces) and even added multiple physical levels into the mix. They didn't necessarily invent the wheel, but they furthered the tech and design at each step. Here's hoping they go back to those principals with this new group. It's not a good thing if you just try to out do EA at their own game of greed.

Exclusivity sucks. All it does is line the pockets of whoever is selling the license. Even EA's sports games were better when they had to compete with others like Sega. It boggles the mind that they can still find newer things to put into things like NFL 2021 or whatever it's at these days to get people to spend another 60 bucks every year for a new version.

I don’t want to diss on people who enjoy sports games like Madden but there doesn’t seem to be much innovation in the games. Madden’s latest changes seem to do with making plays.

i do know that one controversial thing added to FIFA was microtransactions where you buy FIFA coins to get good players (which is ofcourse random because why not). Crazy thing is FIFA itself helped EA make close to $1 billion just from microtransactions.

i mean if you can make $1B just by having people spend money on virtual cash for virtual players, why bother making a game.

Excited about this. I hope I can play test it since it is being made by Massive, and their studio is in my hometown.

Excited about this. I hope I can play test it since it is being made by Massive, and their studio is in my hometown.

Lol report back your findings. Jk, I know you guys have to sign confidentiality agreements so no leaks can occur and early models can change drastically from the final product. Apparently Cyberpunk was third person and essentially played like the Witcher 3 before being shifted into first person.

I don’t want to diss on people who enjoy sports games like Madden but there doesn’t seem to be much innovation in the games. Madden’s latest changes seem to do with making plays.

i do know that one controversial thing added to FIFA was microtransactions where you buy FIFA coins to get good players (which is ofcourse random because why not). Crazy thing is FIFA itself helped EA make close to $1 billion just from microtransactions.

i mean if you can make $1B just by having people spend money on virtual cash for virtual players, why bother making a game.
that's because when you're the only one allowed to make one, there isn't a reason to innovate.

that's because when you're the only one allowed to make one, there isn't a reason to innovate.
True although you would think that if you just rehash the exact same game year after year, your fanbase would get fed up and just not buy the latest version. Why would I buy 2k20 with extra microtransactions when I can get 2k18 for much cheaper and the same mechanics?

In a sense, EA is a genius in how well they can extract that last dollar from their fanbase.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back