Popeyes Cartoon Spinach can Label

Conook

I have always loved Popeye and thought his Spinach can would be a cool simple prop. The font isnt my favorite so I may look around to find something more accurate but since its a cartoon it is not even a font as much as a drawing. I have to get the dimensions of a can of soup like progresso to get the correct label dims. Once I get that I will post the finished product with a file for download if anyone is interested.

I just threw this together real quick with Office Publisher. Just trying to see how well it can do. Not too shabby for a super simple graphic.

OK so if anyone is interested here are my generic Popeye Spinach can Labels. The dims are 4"x10" which happen to be the same dims as the label for a 18.5oz can of Progresso Soup.

Well I just bit the bullet and signed up for Adobe. Love the program just dont like this subscrition thing. I wont use most of what comes with the subscription.

Hope you like. I am working on some other oddball labels and looking for ideas.

Attachments

• Popeye Spinach Label green gold band.pdf
    174.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Popeye Spinach Label green.pdf
    168.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Popeye Spinach Label Red.pdf
    162.2 KB · Views: 61
If you want some good "cartoon" script fonts, I'd recommend checking out Blambot.com - they letter comics professionally and have a wealth of comic fonts available (a good number of which are free to use non-commercially)

In the Popeye cartoon "How Green Was My Spinach" the finale has a filmed insert of a live kid in the film audience throwing an actual (prop) can of spinach to the screen which Popeye then grabs in the cartoon. It's a great scene and you can actually see a prop spinach can closely. The prop can looked like this screen grab from when popeye grabs the can.

I'm trying to find a screen grab of the real prop onscreen that the kids holds and throws can but cant right now. I did a label just like this for a prop, along with green rubber foam sticking out of the top as "spinach", for a cosplay years ago.

To make it screen accurate, try a narrow san serif font. Makes it bolder and easier to read too.

Popeye_and_His_Spinach.pngPopeye_and_His_Spinach.png

In the Popeye cartoon "How Green Was My Spinach" the finale has a filmed insert of a live kid in the film audience throwing an actual (prop) can of spinach to the screen which Popeye then grabs in the cartoon. It's a great scene and you can actually see a prop spinach can closely. The prop can looked like this screen grab from when popeye grabs the can.

I'm trying to find a screen grab of the real prop onscreen that the kids holds and throws can but cant right now. I did a label just like this for a prop, along with green rubber foam sticking out of the top as "spinach", for a cosplay years ago.

To make it screen accurate, try a narrow san serif font. Makes it bolder and easier to read too.

View attachment 1062279View attachment 1062279
Oh now I gotta find that episode and watch it. Thanks for the input.

I thought I had the label file I had done years ago but I can't find it. Pity, since I had it sized for a common Campbell's soup can, just cut out and glue onto an empty can.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back