Polar Lights 1/1000 Enterprise Refit Build **Update 02/02**

JBReplicas

Sr Member
I decided to start putting this together alongside my Enterprise-B, it's a nice little kit. I knew that it came with the all singing all dancing aztec decals sheets however, I am not personally a huge fan of the idea of decaling the aztec pattern and I wanted to make it really hard for myself so I decided to have a go painting them instead...:facepalm Aztec masks aren't incredibly expensive but I am on a bit of a budget right now so I decided to make my own from 0.5mm styrene, the results were better than I expected and so I will be working on sets for the underside of the saucer and the secondary hull also. Here are my WIP shots so far, comments/suggestions/general mocking are welcome :thumbsup

The Box!

Ent1.jpg

Saucer and Secondary hull assembled, primed and 2 thin layers of flat white applied

Ent2.jpg

My home made aztec stencil, not an accurate pattern at all but just having fun with it at this stage :thumbsup

Ent3.jpg

After taping it down flush to the saucer and masking off the rest I applied 2 light coats of tamiya pearl white, repeat 13 times and the top of the saucer is nearly done

Ent4.jpg

More to come..

Last edited:
Re: Polar Lights 1/1000 Enterprise Refit Build

thanks a lot, I got the idea seeing someone use a photo etch stencil in a similar way, this was much cheaper, though it took me a good hour/hour and a half to cut all the little sections out without cutting through the whole thing by accident

Wow, incredible job on that stencil. Looking great so far. Nothing to mock at here.

Re: Polar Lights 1/1000 Enterprise Refit Build *Update 02/02*

Finally got back to this after spending too much time on nightshifts! :confused

I painted up the nacelles and decided how I was going to tackle the clear parts, this kit will not be lit so I experimented a bit, I brush painted the inside of the nacelle that would be visible through the grill, a dark purple colour and then sprayed the clear sections with Tamiya clear blue, once clipped in it gives a nice purple/blue hue. I also painted the little grills that clip into the side of the nacelles, I see them as a rusty colour so I brushed on a little gold and then dry brushed some black and dark grey just to rust them up a bit, final shot shows my random aztecing beginning on the pylons, some very intricate masking tape work here lol, enjoy!
DSCF0733_zps09e2eaca.jpg

DSCF0734_zps58463d62.jpg

DSCF0735_zps9924e1fe.jpg

Oh I forgot to say, I also decided to fill in the rather large gaps on the secondary hull and around the shuttle bay, then I rescribed the lines lightly with a dull scalpel blade, made it look a lot less toy-like

JBReplicas, First I have to say WOW!!!

Very well done so far.

I'm not a fan of the Aztec decals supplied with this kit. I feel they make the model look like a leopard with the spots and at this small scale this model needs something a bit less busy.

You nailed it! You said your pattern isn't accurate, but at this scale it does look accurate. Less of the pattern would be seen at this smaller scale and yours looks right.

BTW, what brand/type of paint did you use for the flat white base coat? Acrylic, Enamel???

Did you airbrush on the base coat? Did you airbrush on the Tamiya Pearl White or spray it straight out of the can?

Mike.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back