Polar Lights Kronos One 1:350

That's definitely the way to go! The front of the Cobra Head might be OK with PE applied if it's only .005 thick in the new kit, but the thicker parts in the original K'T'Inga kit ended up filling in the recessed areas.

For the bulb, I was really surprised when they combined the two rows of windows on the PE into one piece. I knew right away that would not work. I haven't seen the PE set from Green Strawberry.

Not to hijack your thread,but a pic might help as getting decent lighting for the windows is kinda a pain with the stock kit. Delete post if you want,I won’t be hurt! they still ‘twinkle a little,but are lit from almost all angles, no one would ever get as close as the pic I am Happy,more or less,and will improve on the Kronos.

Attachments

• IMG_1699.jpeg
    IMG_1699.jpeg
    824.4 KB · Views: 103
what a cool model and build. I am less familiar with the Star Trek universe, but the ship reminds me something out of Eve. I am sure eve borrowed from star trek. Cant wait to see it lit up!

Not to hijack your thread,but a pic might help as getting decent lighting for the windows is kinda a pain with the stock kit. Delete post if you want,I won’t be hurt! they still ‘twinkle a little,but are lit from almost all angles, no one would ever get as close as the pic I am Happy,more or less,and will improve on the Kronos.

Looks pretty good to me! I think having a frosted panel directly behind the windows, plus even more diffusion for the lighting behind, should create the most even glow possible.

Muted colors...

That's how the model appeared "on stage." The colors were toned down quite a bit on screen and this was true for the K'T'Inga as well. Is that how you want your model to look? You get to decide. :)

That's how the model appeared "on stage." The colors were toned down quite a bit on screen and this was true for the K'T'Inga as well. Is that how you want your model to look? You get to decide. :)
There are stains on the studio model that appear to be water stains.

With effective weathering, sometimes its hard to tell if weather is "real-world weathering", or not.

Suppose these stains are intended washes? Or post-filming damage...?

There are stains on the studio model that appear to be water stains.

With effective weathering, sometimes its hard to tell if weather is "real-world weathering", or not.

Suppose these stains are intended washes? Or post-filming damage...?

I wondered the same because the bulb portion looks totally clean. I think it got dirty on top in storage along with some minor weathering.. I like my Star Trek ships ‘clean’ I will do some subtle weathering but not as much as the top here.

Last edited:
K'tinga lights?.jpg

This is a good example of what I'm wondering. The original K'tinga paint job wasn't just flat greens and browns. There was some reflective sheen to it. In fact, in the opening fly-under shot, the hull almost looks like it had pearlescent panels (and maybe it did. Do we know the exact paints that were used? Did some of the Enterprise pearl colors get airbrushed on there when the models were repainted?) So is it possible those "staircase" panels were just kicking back stage lights like on the neck?

The "stair-step" lights were indeed lit in ST:TMP but only very faintly -- so much so that it's hard to spot them on screen. After some careful analysis, however, I could establish they were on. The back-lighting is pale blue and it's very dim.

There is some "sheen" to the paint in specific areas of the model. This is most noticeable on the neck where the finish is more smooth. The model was sprayed tan overall and likely also sprayed with a dull coat to minimize reflections. Apogee used a bluescreen process for filming so any shiny finishes could create "blue spill" that would punch holes in their mattes.

Kronos likely picked up additional "weathering" like water stains while in storage and in transit. Keep in mind, it traveled a lot for display (to places like Washington DC and even as far away as Scotland) so anything could have happened along the way. One report claims the model was badly damaged on its way back from overseas.

Attachments

• CobraHead--SIDE-LIGHTS.jpg
    CobraHead--SIDE-LIGHTS.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 87
Example:

I wondered the same because the bulb portion looks totally clean. I think it got dirty on top in storage along with some minor weathering.. I like my Star Trek ships ‘clean’ I will do some subtle weathering but not as much as the top here.

That's sort of what I was wondering too...

Attachments

• To Post 001.JPG
    To Post 001.JPG
    980.2 KB · Views: 66
While I realize a lot of people love using them, I'm also not a fan of using "pure color" LEDs. The red ones don't look too bad, but these emit a very different type and quality of light that is very different than anything that might have been used back in the day. IMO it's not a good way at all of creating light effects in these sorts of models. I find it looks far better to use either warm white or natural white and then tint them using gels or transparent paint. Try it and you should be able to see a real difference! There's a much broader spectrum of light being emitted and you might notice that it looks and feels more pleasing to the eye.

Definitely agree. Blue LEDs in particular look really off in my opinion

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back