Poe Dameron Ep. IX build (pic heavy)

Muddler

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Finally I think I've broken enough ground to share some progress on my Poe-build for the upcoming Premiere of Episode IX.
The costume I'm working on is this one:

C8PHI1M.png
poe_falcon_closup.png

The first part I'm already pretty happy with is the belt buckle:

fMYPzxC.jpg
ExS9Y2x.jpg

Did this as a 3D-print, which was then sanded, finished, molded and cold-cast in a pewter-resin-blend.

From the promo-pics you might get the impression that the overall geometry is circular. But by the two buckles at the side you can tell that the form has to be something closer to what I did:

buckles.png

Only problem is the thickness of the buckle. I assume that the screen-used ones are full metal, which allows them to be a bit thinner. As I'm using a resin-metal blend I need to ensure a thickness of at least 3mm to make is sturdy enough. But still I think the result is quite okay for now.

Second (almost) finished item is the scarf:

scarf_closeup.jpg
scarf_closeup2.png

I've done a little design, loosely inspired by traditional asian dragon artworks and had that printed on some light fabric (it's not as silky as it appears on the pictures). I might test some other fabrics and adjust the drawing a bit, but I think the direction is quite okay.

The next more challenging piece is the bandolier / bag. By now it seems to be confirmed that the design of the pouches is based on Yugoslavian "Mosin Nagant" Ammo-pouches:

qwrep4w.jpg

I got lucky enough to grab two of those and took one of them apart to get a template for a sewing pattern:

IMG_20191021_120003.jpg

Here you'll get close-ups from both sides for reference:

IMG_20191021_120036.jpg
IMG_20191021_120103.jpg

The fabric seems to be double-layered. So I cut it out doubled and connected the layers with some iron-on bonding-fleece:

IMG_20191021_120146.jpg
IMG_20191021_121051.jpg
IMG_20191021_122055.jpg

The first test shows some of the issues I still got:

J7k0qfe.jpg
n9jdYkx.jpg

Compared to the original, the leather-strap is too thin and too dark. The rivets are not right. And - biggest problem - the ironing resulted in some shrinkage, so the dimensions are a bit off...
So now I'll first iron the fabric into double-layered and cut out the pattern after that to hopefully avoid that problem.

That's where I stand right now. Will keep you posted on the progress!

Last edited:
Building this version of Poe myself, well a quick and easy version based on things I already own and are going to repurpose so I'm following along for motivation and guidance.

Working on this as well. I drafted my own pattern based on trial and error, and came out with something close (like 75-80%) to this, but I really appreciate the pics of the dismantled (assumed) original for reference. Thanks! Eagerly awaiting to see how your build is going!

Great research and work on the Poe costume! I'm starting to gather parts for this costume and noticed that the strap hooks and bag flap hook on the bandolier are from the Czech Army M60 backpack. I'm attaching a photo I found on the Parts of Star Wars Facebook page that shows both styles. I have ordered a backpack off of ebay and can take some photos when it arrives.

Czech Army M60 backpack.jpg

Uncharted Leather : Thanks a lot! Was just about to also post the info on those ;)

The czech army Y-straps are also sold separately without the backpack!
Already found them last week due to new pix on EW:

HrJrbalm.jpg

Here are some closeup pix:

gqdGaqXl.jpg

vPecd55l.jpg
9vb8x1El.jpg

If you remove one of the bigger hooks you are left wiht this short strap which seems to fit quite nicely:

pEuUoHLm.jpg
IaDKcdim.jpg
YsyVM2Qm.jpg

That's my bag now:

GtACjTMm.jpg
5FrtUXw.jpg

(This has been my main reference for the bag: )
MwiWGfgl.jpg

Oh, and seems like I forgot to post the progress on the bandolier:

RAW9MIml.jpg

Only the center-pouch seems to have the original dimensions. The two on the outside are a bit smaller, so I shrinked the pattern in width. (I went for 12 cm wide, while the middle one has 16 cm).

And this is how I understood the mounting of the hooks on the bandolier:

xrv51mOm.jpg

The hook is attached with 20mm cotton-tape that is than additionally fixed with a second tape running across. For reasons of stability that does actually make sense. (And as soon as you put some tension on it, you get the same outward deformation as seen on the promo-pix).

If I find the time, I'll replace those tapes with the vintage-straps from the czech-carrying-harness ;)

So just to get an overall Impression:

Ip4HEiXl.jpg

(Rest of the costume is still under construction...)

Attachments

• gqdGaqX.jpg
    gqdGaqX.jpg
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 228
  • gqdGaqX.jpg
    gqdGaqX.jpg
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Oh, and seems like I forgot to post the progress on the bandolier:
View attachment 1089339

Only the center-pouch seems to have the original dimensions. The two on the outside are a bit smaller, so I shrinked the pattern in width. (I went for 12 cm wide, while the middle one has 16 cm).

Can I ask how you strung the pouches together? Did you loop them onto a belt on the back, or are they just sewn to each other with tabs added on the ends for the buckles? Thanks!

Can I ask how you strung the pouches together? Did you loop them onto a belt on the back, or are they just sewn to each other with tabs added on the ends for the buckles? Thanks!

I made a flat belt out of the same fabric as the pouches, approx. 55cm Long and 8 cm wide. You can see it here from the backside:

YjbMKXLm.jpg

I've just sewn the pouches flat onto it.

(Also replaced the outer straps and hooks with the vintage ones from the Czech carrying harness ;) )

dLKgdakl.jpg

IMG-20191218-WA0000.jpg

German premiere in Berlin this morning!
Unfortunately I only managed around 90% of what I had planned for the costume, but it didn't matter.
After all, it was about the movie!

Don't worry, won't spoil anything!

I'm just reliefed and exhausted, I'm happy and I'm sad, I'm simply overwhelmed by a movie that actually exceeded my expectations.
In the end I had tears in my eyes.

(already watched it a second time this night...
icon_mrgreen.gif
)

Have fun everyone!

Posted this in the other Poe thread as well:
Poe's IX costume is on display at Disney's Launch Bay in Orlando - got some close-up detail shots this weekend. The one thing that caught my eye on this one is that the belt buckles are thicker, maybe plastic, vs. the other pics we've seen.

Wow! That's so cool! Thanks a lot for all the details!! :D

I absolutely agree on the buckles! They definitely look different from the ones we've seen on the earlier promo pics!
Also the costume shows less signs of wearing. Maybe some parts are just replacement items?
But anyways this is really helpful for all the little details, especially on the bandolier and bag!
Thanks again! :)(y)

Hey there! Great looking costume! Maybe I missed it but where did you end up going for the shirt?

Oh, right! Forgot to post anything about that, because it was more of a "last minute"-solution.

I bought a mandarin-collar linen-shirt on ebay:

I then bought some fabric in the same color to add the pockets. But this was never meant to be a permanent solution. It worked quite well for the opening night, though. ;)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back