Podracer power cell - found object IDENTIFIED!

That's what I got too. Now I guess the question is, how do we go about making them look like the prop? Red paint over the orange obviously, but any ideas how to darken the clear plastic? We can dimly see the components through the sides, so just painting the case black won't work. I've used 'glass paint' before (tinted but transparent), so maybe something like that in a smoky color?

To be honest, I think they used something with a fine mist... a Tamiya Lacquer spray can or an airbrush, and literally dusted most of the thing with black paint. If you don't lay heavy, you can cause a gradient darkening, or the smoky effect. I've done this to weather colors and darken paint that's too bright.

I don't know if there's red paint or not, sometimes those visual dictionary pictures are heavily edited - the Luke hero saber has maroon and dark green LED arrows and the real prop looks like christmas!

To me it looks like they left it orange, I think they even left the numbers and small logo. The clip part at the very bottom is red. You can just see make it out and can tell the difference between that and the top.

5821DC09-0CA0-4A8F-9EE2-B56DEFE6D19B.jpeg

As for darkening the plastic, I was planning to just rub it down with 1200 then rub in some oil paint.

I'd be interested to see it work too
I think I'll be going whatever route the prop team did back in the 90s - trying to find better shots because the coat was probably cheap

Does anyone have a picture of the his part on set?
I haven't been able to find it in any other scenes, I was hoping they had these around the set decoration - maybe we will find it somewhere else!

Here is the scene in question
Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 5.48.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 5.48.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 5.48.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 5.48.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 5.48.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 5.48.59 PM.png

Man yours is in much better shape. Mine looks like it was stored in a crate... with oil.. and someone rubbed some dirt in there for good measure

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back