Yondu & THE most COMPLEX kit I've ever done...

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, I've been a little inactive posting in threads lately, catching up to a lot of prints for folks but also getting some new stuff finished. I've seen a lot of nice Yaka arrows around the web and decided that because I loved Rooker's performance so much I wanted to challenge myself by making a replica of it, accurate to the CGI version seen on screen that ALSO has full INTEGRATED lighting in four places just like on-screen, with no external wiring.

Now, y'all might wonder what's so special about that, since lots of props have that, but the Yaka arrow, measured accurately,is THIN. So thin in fact (around 10-11mm diameter at the thickest part of the shaft), that I couldn't find a commercially available battery holder that would fit inside. It also has to be possible to open it to remove the battery and there has to be an on/off switch somewhere. (I thought about using magnet switches for this, but ultimately gave up on that idea... there just wasn't room.) So in the end, I actually modeled a battery holder (for a 27A 12v) into the actual shaft. I'll be soldering and gluing loose contacts into it.

Printing the tiny details in the translucent parts and carvings on the shaft would also be a challenge. I would have to use a 25 micron (0.25mm) nozzle instead of the standard 0.4 or 0.6. The parts are also had to be hollow for the wiring, but printed solid wherever possible to add a little strength.

After weeks of modeling, test-printing and redesigning, I've finally started assembly. I'll update this thread as I go. Printing the parts is just stage one- actually building it and fitting all the parts will be a major challenge as well and to be honest... I'm still not 100% sure it will come together perfectly enough to work the way I want. Almost every piece will need manual tweaking- a Revell snap-fit kit this isn't!

In short, this is probably the most difficult prop I've ever attempted (even compared to VERA from Firefly)!

First off, some renders of my near-final 3d model. Keep in mind that while the parts look big because of the way they are rendered, they are VERY small. the main red insert for example is only about 5mm thick.. and some areas of the walls are 0.4mm thick!

A quick composite of my near-final model. Some tweaks.
YakaRend007.jpg

The entire arrow (still missing carvings along the shaft)
YakaRend006.jpg

My draft of how the wiring will be set up. Wires will go through the central core to power four 3mm LEDs, then return to ground in a thin channel at the bottom of the arrow.
Arrow_wiring.jpg

The battery here looks tiny compared to the arrow, but all the time I had to carefully model to minimal wall-thickness so that it wouldn't be too fragile.
YakaRend005.jpg

An extreme closeup of the mid-section. Note the bore hole for the 3mm LED (about 0.12 inches). The red core is done in translucent plastic and will have a hollow core all the way through to run wires. The entire model has to be printed so that the surface can be sanded smooth and NOT need filler-primer like other 3d prints. This essentially means that the arrow overall will take longer to print than some full-size blasters! I could have used a resin printer for the red parts but the body and shaft need more strength than SLA resin usually provides. (I also wanted to see just how far I could take this project in printing intricate parts.)
YakaRend004.jpg

A couple renders showing how the arrow is intended to assemble. The little pin at the end will be machined by inserting a short piece of aluminum rod into a dremel, then filing it to shape. (Disclaimer: Do NOT try that at home folks... especially not without safety gear!)
YakaRend003.jpg

YakaRend002.jpg
YakaRend001.jpg

The final printed parts:
YakaKit.jpg

Beginning some cleanup. Again, I will not be using any filler-primer on the surface of this, only regular black primer, so I have to get the surface very smooth... and since the parts are delicate when handled separately, I can't just go to town on things.

After some sanding, I started fitting the battery holder. Every piece was carefully trimmed with a scalpel for an exact fit, then glued with acrylic cement. Note the grooves for wiring and the little screw holes, which will use M1 (I think) grub screws to hold the arrow closed. (The 12v battery will last long enough that changing will not be necessary too often.) Note that the battery holder sticks out from one piece to be inserted into the next- this is to add a little strength to the arrow once assembled. Having the battery end where the break in the shaft is would weaken the overall construction.
Yakaphoto3453455.jpg

Yakaphoto345436.jpg

Yakaphoto657567.jpg

Yakaphoto6575648.jpg

Yakaphoto345434.jpg

More soon...

Some power switches came in today. They are just a few mm wide, barely 1mm thick and have to be handled with tweezers. Quarter included for scale! I think I'm going to try and move the switch to the positive pole of the battery in the middle section instead of the minus. I'll be less visible there and make a more screen-accurate silhouette.
power_ref.jpg

Was looking at doing one of these, myself, and was considering a pair of AAAA batteries in the shaft. I'm assuming you're using A27 batteries based on what you've said here, which are 8mm diameter, same as the AAAAs. Would that not be the better option? A 3V source (from a pair of AAAA in line) for a bunch of red LEDs in parallel is a lot less likely to toast the lights than a 12V one, plus AAAA batteries are more readily available (You can pry a 9V battery open for 6 of em)

Also: Where are you getting the references for the details etched in the sides of the arrow? I've spent some time looking now that GOTG2 is out on Blu-Ray and the scene at the end *SPOILER WARNING?*....

... involving the repaired arrow is one of those few ones where it's not zooming around at a thousand miles an hour, and aside from the weld in the middle it looks pretty much unadorned.

Edit: Hm. Might be something there? I'd still be interested in knowing what you're sourcing from.

Last edited:
Was looking at doing one of these, myself, and was considering a pair of AAAA batteries in the shaft. I'm assuming you're using A27 batteries based on what you've said here, which are 8mm diameter, same as the AAAAs. Would that not be the better option? A 3V source (from a pair of AAAA in line) for a bunch of red LEDs in parallel is a lot less likely to toast the lights than a 12V one, plus AAAA batteries are more readily available (You can pry a 9V battery open for 6 of em)

Also: Where are you getting the references for the details etched in the sides of the arrow? I've spent some time looking now that GOTG2 is out on Blu-Ray and the scene at the end *SPOILER WARNING?*....

I'm going off off some high-rez production materials I was given a while back. (I don't mean to be cagey or cryptic, but I don't know how confidential it is, so I can't really post it.) You can actually see traces of the markings in one of the screens you posted though:
markings.jpg

You can glimpse them from time to time but they're really hard to see since the arrow is never in complete focus.

I looked into AAAA batteries as well, but since you would need two of them as you noted, it brings the problem of there not being enough room lengthwise anywhere. (The front of the arrow would become too fragile even if you could get them in there. Even putting the A27 in front of the center body was a no-go. There was also the issue of finding a good spot for the arrow to break open and I'd rather have the seam in the back.) Small buttoncell lithium batteries could be used, but the 12V in conjunction with four LEDs connected in a series along with a resistor seems like it will work well from the tests I've been doing. Not even sure I could even fit wires in there for connecting the LEDs in parallel!

Now... onto some updated photos!

Black primer added, then smoothed out for a second coat. Also started painting the red center.
Yakaphoto567565.jpg

Test fitting the red core. Tolerances are so precise that even a coat of paint can be obstructive.
Yakaphoto6576574.jpg

Lighting test to gauge how much "glow" there will be. Originally, I planned a LED in the center as well, but decided that it wouldn't be necessary. The test also revealed that the metallic areas need thicker paint, since some of the light shines through.
Yakaphoto436353.jpg

I briefly considered painting a light coat of silver over ALL of the red parts, so that they would only look red when the LEDs were on (and thus match the inert version of the arrow), but I opted against it.
Yakaphoto34565342.jpg

Yakaphoto345635461.jpg

Note: I am considering doing a very limited run of these (please, no interest posts about it here though) but haven't decided the details of it yet.

I should have some more photos soon. I'm getting ready to solder everything together.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back