Plaster Cast (Help/tips)

Momo

Right I thought to myself I’m going to do a good job this time with my suit so I’m doing the thing of; clay sculpt, plaster mould then latex. I’m going to be doing a clay head and body sculpt and then put plaster on the top. I’ve been looking into good plaster that picks up fine detail and available here in the uk. What I’ve come across is this stuff called Crystacal R.
Is it any good?
How much plaster do you need to make a) head cast and b) a body cast?
Also the shop I would get the Crystacal from sells big tubs of liquid latex rubber too under the Mould Making section, it has no make or name just labelled liquid latex rubber. Do you think this would be good enough to make the suit out of?
Also do I need to get the thickening agent? (Sorry a bit of a noob question)
Thanks
xxx

Hey there girly, haven't seen you around in a while - welcome back!

I used basic alpha plaster for my head mould got 25 - 30kg of the stuff and had some left over. Crystacal R is good but fooking expensive, basic alpha plaster is powder that comes in 25kg bags or 5kg tubes for about £20 or more plus delivery. hers the link http://www.tiranti.co.uk/product.asp?Product=1303

I bought my latex from Tomps.com good stuff http://www.tomps.com/shop/liquid-latex-rubber-25-litre-p-16.html?osCsid=7dk497n7srac6c3njvibrudmr4

For casting, you need to paint on the first couple of layers with straight (unthickened) latex and then couple of layers of thickened latex. A thickener gel is good and have been told that eBay is a good source.

As for body suits, thats out my league sorry.

Hope this helps

Yes this has helped tonne!! tomps is where I found the latex and plaster, so i'll stick with the latex from the site and get the plaster from the one you subjected, I just up the scale when it comes to the body cast. Thank you xxx

I used Crystacal R and for 5KG i think it was 15 quid so yeah its expensive i have now got this basic alpha plaster 25KG for around 25 quid
and so far its going good will let u know when i have split the mould.
As of latex i have never used the stuff. so cant help there sorry.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back