PKD binding post finish issues

CreechMagoo

Iv been having some issues getting the finishes im applying to my original binding post for my Tomenosuke, I know I probably stripped the brass finish off of it (unless the whole thing is brass). If i accidentally tarnished the hell out of it iv tried everything to reverse it but no matter what i cant get the brass back. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can darken the piece permanently from this state?
1656102346489.png

i've used birchwood casey brass black and it always fades to this silver color
If the part is not brass, it will not work. Super blue for steel, aluminum black for aluminum, and brass black for brass. The names are for the material you apply it to, not the finish you want.
Rub the threaded end with some abrasive to find out what type of metal you’re dealing with then buy the appropriate stuff.

Since the OG seems to be painted that’s probably the finish I would recommend, remembering to leave a little brass groove showing at the cap base. Here’s the real deal, photographed in close up for a magazine feature in 2017;

A70F17C7-FF40-4D31-9540-729D29CF7DED.png

Original EE8 binding posts are either brass or nickel plated. The brass ones are the early part which is screen accurate. The nickel plated ones are slightly ‘taller’ as can be seen on this photo of the two versions side-by-side (the black paint on the brass one shown here is not original).

47AF9FD0-94CD-43BE-8AE2-55791DE2A399.jpeg

If the part is not brass, it will not work. Super blue for steel, aluminum black for aluminum, and brass black for brass. The names are for the material you apply it to, not the finish you want.
Rub the threaded end with some abrasive to find out what type of metal you’re dealing with then buy the appropriate stuff.
yeah the part was brass so i used brass black but I think it was plated and came off

Since the OG seems to be painted that’s probably the finish I would recommend, remembering to leave a little brass groove showing at the cap base. Here’s the real deal, photographed in close up for a magazine feature in 2017;

View attachment 1591276

Original EE8 binding posts are either brass or nickel plated. The brass ones are the early part which is screen accurate. The nickel plated ones are slightly ‘taller’ as can be seen on this photo of the two versions side-by-side (the black paint on the brass one shown here is not original).

View attachment 1591277
I think my best option is paint, do you have a product in mind that could help me replicate the original finish?

Personally I swear by Rustoleum multi-surface black in a rattle can but everyone has a favourite finish for this kind of thing.
I painted it but to be honest the finish was too perfect even after weathering (I'm very unfamiliar with paints) so I decided to do something crazy, I electroplated it with copper and am going to try to darken it with brass black when I get the chance. For some reason I really craved the darkened metallic look which I'm not skilled enough to replicate with paints.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back