Pip Boy 3000 Scratchbuild- a few pictures

This makes me really wish I could tell what the heck you were doing to make it look so good! I've been wanting to build a PipBoy 3000 for a while, but I don't know how. Trying to keep my eyes open on the internet to see what tricks people have gotten away with, though. I like the soup can.

Hey there. Sorry it's been so long. I've always had problems with finishing my props in a timely manner. I picked back up work on it, and I'm coming up with some good ideas, i think. It's a lot to read, but I figure I've got to make up for my absence somehow.

At first, the 3 buttons in front were going to be stationary on my model, and only light up. now, i want them to be actual buttons, and light up when you press them. I think they work as buttons in the game, too. SO, for the pip boy, these are the features i'm working on incorporating:

Light up buttons
Light up screen
Radio
Clock that can project the time on a wall/surface
Flashlight, maybe
GNR and enclave station, played through an mp3 player
Other things i'll talk about

The buttons, I talked some about. Really they would just be lights mounted on top of buttons, as i already bought the lights. The lights themselves would be connected to the switch, as well as the function they controlled, so both light and function turned off and on by pressing it.

I don't have pictures now, but i re made the backlight screen. instead of the led's i wired, i found a very low profile led strip at auto zone, here. it's made for lighting underneath a car or some other stuff like that. It can be cut to different lengths, and easily wired. It'll make more sense once i post a picture, but it's definitely a better option. Much more compact and easy to manage. it was only 10 bucks for 2 feet, i think. The control for the backlight will be one of the front orange buttons.

The radio was a very recent find. I was at a dollar general and saw an FM radio scanner for 3 dollars. the casing was made to look like an i pod. a rotary switch turns on the device, and also adjusts volume. It has one button that switches from one station to the next, another button that resets the radio back to a station you can choose, and a jack for headphones. This simple interface is perfect for the pip boy. One of the 3 button on the front of the pip boy with be the scan button. the reset button i think, won't be featured as a button on the outside of the pip boy. the power/volume wheel will be operated by the wheel to the left of the pip boy screen. The headphone jack will be attached to a speaker mounted behind the grill on the left of the pipboy. ( Due to certain constraints, the exact positioning and set up of the radio internally will differ a bit, the previous explanation was just to give an idea of how the controls will work. This will be explained later, and with pictures) The control for the radio will be one of the front orange buttons.

The clock. I ordered 3 clocks from ebay that can project the time onto the wall, knowing i would break at least one of them. The clock is ovular in shape, and about 2 and a half inches long, 3/4 inch wide. It has one button that displays the time, and 2 more button used to adjust the time. Now, after i took it apart, i found that i couldn't rewire in my own switch for use on the front of the pip boy, because the circuitry was very compact, delicate, and pretty impossible to alter that way. So I figured i'd put a switch to the power source (2 button cells). But i found that the time resets if the power is interrupted. So finally i decided to wire a switch to the led that illuminates the clock. This was a lot easier and allows me to position the clock and switch wherever i want. So I figured if i was going to do that, i may as well may it shine green instead of the red that came standard. I did that and it worked just fine. Not thinking however, i tested this altered clock using a 9 volt battery, as it was lying in arms reach. It of course burned out the led in a couple seconds. I have to get another green led and do the process over now, but that's at least i know what i'm doing now. The clock would shine through the back of the pip boy. If you look at a picture, there a round dip on the back. I think in the game, or on some accepted model, theres a round, slight protrusion. The lens of the clock would fit as that protrusion. The control for the clock will be one of the front buttons.

Ideally I would like to have the flashlight work the same way it does in the game, a brighter scree, and to be honest, i may submit and make that happen. For the time being though, it seems like i'll put an led flashlight somewhere, possibly inside the cuff of the wrist end, so as to not interfere with accuracy. Yes, I know i'm making this thing out of cardboard, but that's even more the reason to make it look the best i can. The switch for the light is yet to be decided. It'll probably be on the rotary switch to the far left of the pip boy.

I've got a small speaker that'll fit in in the left grill of the pip boy. I've wired it to plug into an mp3 player. yes, i'd have to adjust the songs playing by taking the player out of the pip boy, but i figure that's not too bad, considering i can put the broadcast on a loop, meaning i'd only have to touch the player once. As a bonus, i can also play any other music i want through the pip boy. Volume for that will also be controlled by the wheel to the left of the pip boy screen. The switch to the far left of the pip boy will switch between mp3 player, the radio, and the flashlight, i think.

I've also considered putting in a small fan. I know the electronics inside shouldn't generate enough heat to warrant a fan, but i kind of like the idea of one anyway. I'm sure a real pip boy in the scorching hell of the wastes wouldn't mind a fan, so i guess my pip boy wouldn't either. If there's room and a cannon control for it, probably the far left switch, i may put it in.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but that's all i've got for now, i think. I'm always looking for cool suggestions for features, so any ideas are definitely welcome. Maybe that's why it's taken me so long :p But yeah, this where I am now. I know it's a lot to read, and there are no pictures to make it more interesting, but hopefully I'll get some work done soon and i can post a few pics and explanations. Thanks for reading.

Tom

Hey. I'm working on it again, again. the radio i talked about is busted and i can't get another one. So my biggest problem now, is thinking of a function for one of the buttons on the front of the pipboy.

Any suggestions would be awesome.

I've also formed some acrylic to make the curved front of the pip boy. i've also gotten switches and materials together for the buttons. hopefully i can post some pics later today

edit
Ok, here's where i am

1964.jpg

I carved an mdf square into the shape of the front, heated up a piece of plexi glass i had lying around on the stove, and pressed it over the form. i cut it down and this is what i got

1966.jpg

The curved face of the screen won't fit perfectly into the frame, so i'll have to build out the frame to meet the face of the screen. its hard to get a picture that really shows it in the pipboy, but its a cool thing to have

1971.jpg

The orange lights were to big to fit accurately in the pipboy. i had to sand down a lip on the lights, so that it could fit in this tube. The tube will be cut down as the housing for the buttons, and it's also a pen tube. The switches came from a massage thing from the dollar store, and are the perfect size. it took a while to scavenge the switches cheaply and locally.

again, i need a function for the other button before i do too much more work. i don't want to potentially lock out any possibilities by working without a plan. i've been thinking for a couple days with no results, so i'm hoping you guys will have some killer ideas. thanks

Last edited:
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssttttttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccccccc kkkkkkkkkkkkknnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiffffffffffffffeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :]
ha but seriously that would be totally awesome. i really like how the pip boy looks and its exceptional looking as usual. i would love it if you could post more stuff about this since fallout is pretty sick! <3

Ha, well thanks.

ok, since the pipboy is on hold, i figured i'd start something new. The last couple of days i've been working on a laser pistol from fallout3. i didn't have a camera for the beginning construction, but i was able to take a few today. This is all made so far out of foam core, mat board, popsickle sticks, thin cereal box type cardboard, and hot glue.
here goes

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

here you can see some of the wiring. The momentary trigger activates a laser pointer mounted in front, and also a sound effect of the pistol firing.

005.jpg

the red dot is the laser, but i've yet to cut out the front in this picture.

007.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

010-1.jpg

and theres the laser.

the sound module isn't installed yet, so i have some time to recored better sound. if anybody has a decent quality sound clip of the laser pistol firing, i'd love to have it. the module is cheap, and the raw recording from the game on my tv distorts the sound some. if not, i'll be content to use what i have.

Thanks

Tom

oh, and i'm still looking for an idea for a function of a buttin on the pipboy, if anyone has any suggestions. thanks

Last edited:
i really like this idea :] you should definitely keep up the good work. and send me a picture!! or you could start up like a prop museum or something. i dont know if this makes sense but DO IT!!

Ha, thanks

So, i'm back to working on the pipboy, or at least coming up with ideas for that damned third button. An idea I've had recently is to have it control a bluetooth function for my phone. In theory, it seems pretty easy to do. The problem, i think, is in wiring in a new loud speaker, and posibly a new microphone. I know that new elements would require a different amount of power. Also given that most have rechargeable batteries, things could get sensitive for someone like me with only a basic understanding of electronics.

Without buying a speakerphone bluetooth setup, or anything too expensive, is there an easy was to do this kind of modification? A very small self powered, mp3 type speaker seems like it would be ok, but i'm not quite sure what i'm talking about, and research hasn't turned up much yet.

Here is the set i'm most inclined to buy, because of it's price, and single button simplicity. (plus i have a best buy gift card) I don't think i have a way of measuring the voltage, so i couldn't allow for the increase in power consumption in a battery accurately, or safely.

nokia bluetooth

Any help or advice would be great. I'm at somewhat of a loss in this area, and I know there are talented and intelligent people here.

Thanks.

Tom

Last edited:
I love seein' cardboard type builds on here you definitely got skillz brah. I can't wait ta see it finished keep up th' good work.:cool:cool

Your Pip-Boy build is great, some really good craft :) I'm starting out on my model making/prop building career and I've chosen to make a Pip-Boy to start and given it to a friend for his birthday as he's a mad Fallout fan. Your build will be a great reference point!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back