Pip-Boy 2000 Mk. VI From Fallout 76

jklucznik2020

So I am probably not the first to start a thread like this, but I'm gonna do it anyways. When I saw this new (or should I saw old Pip-Boy) I just knew it had to be made right. Now there is a "Build it Yourself" one of these that you can buy, it is like the Pip-Boy when Fallout 4 came out. I thought about just buying it, but it had some inconsistencies with the 3D model we saw in the trailer. So I have decided to start using every reference picture I can find to recreate this Pip-Boy. I have most of this model done, now I am just in the hard phase, the phase where I have to make sure everything can function and hold electronics (Easier said than done). Yes, this is supposed to house electronics. This has less room to store said electronics since the build of this Pip-Boy is more modular and rough shaped than the Fallout 4 Pip-Boy. There are still a lot of kinks and issues I still have to resolve in this beast, there is a reason there is no screen in place (I still have to decide what size screen to use, then the model will be designed around that said measurement). Now! The back is not quite accurate and the reason is, there are inconsistencies from shot to shot of the Pip-Boy in the two released trailers, the way the back is designed right now is a mix of the Fallout 4 Pip-Boy and the Fallout 76 Pip-Boy, the trailer shows that the strap to tighten the Pip-Boy is an band (Cloth), but I like the design of the Fallout 4 Pip-Boy's latch, it makes more sense. So if I haven' lost you yet and you're reading this, you're in for the long haul, because this project is going to be one. Thanks!

Pip-Boy_2000_Mark_VI_2018-Jun-28_04-13-58PM-000_CustomizedView17902347269_jpg.jpgPip-Boy_2000_Mark_VI_2018-Jun-28_04-16-20PM-000_CustomizedView21401473002_jpg.jpgPip-Boy_2000_Mark_VI_2018-Jun-28_04-23-20PM-000_CustomizedView32606451070_jpg.jpgPip-Boy_2000_Mark_VI_2018-Jun-28_04-16-04PM-000_CustomizedView23140811246_jpg.jpgPip-Boy_2000_Mark_VI_2018-Jun-28_04-23-01PM-000_CustomizedView7760647932_jpg.jpgPip-Boy_2000_Mark_VI_2018-Jun-28_04-15-35PM-000_CustomizedView1463319934_jpg.jpgPip-Boy_2000_Mark_VI_2018-Jun-28_04-15-18PM-000_CustomizedView3353267393_jpg.jpgPip-Boy_2000_Mark_VI_2018-Jun-28_04-15-03PM-000_CustomizedView19894639689_jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Pip-Boy_2000_Mark_VI_2018-Jun-28_06-31-50PM-000_CustomizedView2096214498_jpg.jpgI added in a "curved" screen to hold back my amount of impatience to make this a real thing. The stand was also made based off the design for the Limited Edition Pip-Boy from the Fallout 4 release

Oh don't worry, you can work on it in CAD for 3 years (and counting) before making it a real thing. :rolleyes

Good luck on the screen, finding something in 4:3 aspect ratio these days is tough. My screen selection is causing all sorts of headaches.

The soft-back of the 2000 Mk VI is actually much easier to work with than the hard shell of the 3000 Mk IV. The hard-shell has to be fit to your arm specifically, and can't be tightened easily. A soft back can be tightened by just pulling the strap.

What CAD package are you using? It looks like your using Keyshot for the renders.

Wow! I am so glad to have your comment (You know, since you're like the best guy at how to Pip-Boy). I did realize it was a soft back, because yes it can tighten, but I am afraid as far a structural sustainability it will hold up the rest of the body.

I could make like half solid and half kinda flexible with a filament that can flex without bending.

I am currently using Fusion 360

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 10.39.01 PM.png

So like in this shot, it looks flexible right? But not like a noodle, like a very strong but flexible plastic that can bend to a certain decree, like those wold wristbands that you can slab on your wrist (the ones that go form flat to curved with a snap)!

Adding a stiffener is a great idea. I would do it inside the padding. The green on the back looks more like a seatbelt style strap. (Nylon)

That kind of seatbelt material was exactly what I was thinking, the part I can't tell about the strap is how it actually fastens. Most straps you would assume go through a tightener (i don't know what they're called but i think you know) and then they loop back around?? That is the part I am unsure how it works. Where ever it does tighten, I believe it is located underneath the hollow tape container

But maybe there is another option as to how the band works! Maybe it works like the USB retractable part of your Pip-Boy. Like one of those dog leashes that goes out, but doesn't come back unless you release it. So if that is the case, then you pull the strap to tighten it, then "release" it and it snaps back, therefore tightening the strap and flexible part to your wrist.

I don't think there is any retraction mechanism. The actual buckle looks like a Jam or Cam style spring loaded buckle. These were used on old really seatbelts (before having mating sides), and on military harnesses. The closest reference I can find is from a ejection seat. (Here is another example)

/Edit: One more example

You can see the screw on the side of the buckle, and the cam (metal piece in the middle), a spring would keep tension. The PIp-Boy would be held to the arm by passing the lower strap though the buckle, and then pulling to tighten. (The character animation shows him tightening it)

And, now you have me also wondering about the super-complicated looking belt buckle on the character in the image.

Last edited:
Hahahaha I did wonder about the belt buckle! Those reference pics are great and soon I will begin to design the band holder and start to think about a way to make the arm cover flexible.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back