PETSS Project (Rebuilding a Sonic Scredriver) - FINISHED!!!

The Next Doctor

Hello,
I want to talk to you today about a growing epidemic... Sonic Screwdriver Neglect. Daily there are poor Sonic Screwdrivers wanting a second chance for a good life. Here at People for the Ethical Treatment of Sonic Screwdrivers, we are committed to making a poor Sonics dream come true.....Here is one such case.

Ok, drama aside. I needed a pet project and saw this Sonic on eBay and said to myself, "Self, how hard would it be to fix that Sonic and make it into a nicer version?" Well after some lively debate, I decided that I was going to give it a shot.

Here are the auction pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Now this is after a quick cleanup:

5.jpg

Now the auction stated that the screwdriver was spring loaded, but would not work properly. Here are some dismantled pics that will show why:

6.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Here are pics of the halo area which will be replaced.

7.jpg

8.jpg

And I get to figure out how to hide this little defect:

9.jpg

So, the plan is to rebuild the channel that the threaded rod goes through to straighten it out, Build a new halo, and figure out a way to seamlessly hide the oopsie at the base of the sonic.

I figure this will make for a fun project.

I will post pics of the progress and finished "rebuild"

Re: PETSS Project (Rebuilding a Sonic Scredriver)

Ok, just finished the restore, and I think I am done for the most part.

The Sonic spring actually works now and I think it looks snazzy now.

Here is the Finished Picture:

Sonic%252520Restored.JPG

So what was done:

New Halo (I have to thank the salesguy a Lowes for finding me a perfect part for the Halo)

Shortened the "Bullet" and added the front details

Sanded and cleaned the whole Sonic

Increased the off center channel and added a brass tube to center the shaft more.

Added details to hide blemishes that could not be fixed.

So what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Simply wonderful, like finding a poor little kitten at a shelter that has been neglected, but then after showing it some love and the obvious passion you have for sonics it's been brought back to life.

Well done sir.

I only wish I had a talent for this ( I am not mechanically inclined), but I do have you to thank for telling me hoe to modify the 4th doctors toy into the fifths just by using the red and white tape - thanks again for helping me.

Good job. It looks like an old Boatbuilder SS which were a whole load of issues here. You made some very, very good improvements on it.

Good job. It looks like an old Boatbuilder SS which were a whole load of issues here. You made some very, very good improvements on it.

Now that you mentioned Boatbuilder, I went back and reviewed your thread with the BB Sonic and honestly, I think this one is a "recast" of his. The Halo was not the same, and the machining was not as clean.

But it gives me a better history of the lineage of the sonic.

Trust me, BB's work was not remotely uniform or clean. He had a lot of variation in between builds. It may have been one of his or it may not have. Either way you did a fantastic job of bringing it back towards something good.

Sounds like a plan. I'm not 100% sure that it was a BB before you instilled some awesome into it but it did look like one from the pictures.

Really great job! I'm a bit new so i have to ask the question. Why would you rebuild over recreating? Surely the price of ebay was far greater than what you probably would have spent building new? maybe? Either way it's very nice and I want one.

Really great job! I'm a bit new so i have to ask the question. Why would you rebuild over recreating? Surely the price of ebay was far greater than what you probably would have spent building new? maybe? Either way it's very nice and I want one.

The answer to your question is I am a sucker for Sonics.

In reality it was a bit cheaper to get than having one made, and I already have Russ versions of the Third, Fourth and Fifth Doctors Screwdrivers so I wasn't wanting something "accurate". I enjoy "improving" on custom work.

That and I edge ever so closer to having as many Sonics as GreatWazoo42 does.....

Listen, I am not counting the Pipe Cleaner and Macaroni Sonic, The Jelly Babies Sonic, and sticking a Doughnut on top of a beer can does not make the "Homer Simpson Sonic."

So it is still 3,760 to 17.....your favor :cry

Ah I have one of those old boat builder Sonics. You have made some great looking improvements to that one :lol. Those were a bit kittywampus right out of the box.

Just send me your box full of Sonics, and I will place it in there myself and ship it back to you....

Now where is that solid light holo-emitter and the homing teleporter link...I think I had them here on the work bench next to the Pu238 Detonators...oh, here there are under the ham sammich...

Nice work. I am an old time (late 70's early 80's) fan who just recently got hooked on the new series. I have a few of the toy props, but I think I am ready to move up to the big leagues. I must say the quality of the rops avalable nowadays is staggering. Any recommendations on who the best builders are here on the RPF? It's kind of scary, I have seen some threads of people paying for props they never receive.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back