Pep to Molded Plastics War Machine,Gatling Gun,Stronger Mount and Other WM Weaponry!

electraflier

If that isn't a teaser I dont know what is LOL! I do promise that I really have a good mounting Idea and will post it when I am at prototype!:cool
The title has been changed to reflect the changing goals and parameters of this build.

So like any good hospital administrator, I sat evaluating my goals vs progress... Since I have decided to go the pep, harden, bondo :p sanding priming, molding process for my MK3 Pepakura build;
http://www.therpf.com/f24/iron-man-mk3-build-149350/
I had to be honest and admit that I (and my MK3) would not make Halloween this year with a finished armor and doubtful Comicon as well.:cry There is always next year though!!:lol
So since I wanted to do War Machine as foam build any how, I made the decision to not stress about my mk 3 as I want it perfect!:love
Got to thinking, "self" your wife has a foam work-out mat, you have sissors, knives, hot glue and a printer why not give a simple WM piece a try...:facepalm
Here is what I did.
By the way a huge shout out to JFcustoms for his foam techniques! You really gave me some insight into the cleanest way to do foam.
http://www.therpf.com/f24/foam-speed...on-man-148889/
I honestly cant wait for your War Machine files!!!
foamneck2.jpg

OK? not too bad for a first try? finished it in a couple of hours, covered in a coat of PVA...The wife came home and said, "WOW what a great neck piece!" NOT!!!:lol
I can't possibly match the indignation and squeeky voice but she really said, "WHATDIDYOUDOTOMYWORKOUTMAT!!!???" :angry It was a lot funnier in person because you could hear the squeek!! LOL!!:behave
I of course am still going to work on my MK3 as that is my priority! But I figure a piece a week for the War Machine will get me there by Halloween for my friends party.
I have to tell you, I love the Pepakura better. I know a lot of you foam guys will think I am nuts, but you cant beat the crisp edges and details of the pep. I think each application has it merits and down-sides though, so the need decides the build...as for me I noticed with the foam it is so hard to keep your lines and seams straight and sharp. That will get better with practice though!!!

I have an idea that maybe if you PVA the piece, glue your templates back on to the foam then resin/smooth-cast or Smooth on 65D it, you might get a really nice hybrid type of end product???
I have started this War Machine thread as I also have some really really great ideas for mounting the mini-gun as I hear a lot of guys complaining about trying to get the foam armor to hold up the gun due to compression/bending issues!
I am also modifying the Nerf Mini-gun (very heavy) too, I will be putting that up here as well. I also think we need way more open discussion on modifying Airsoft/Airzone/Nerf and by God cool looking squirt guns for the armor as well!!:eek
I don't think near enough attention has been devoted to building/modifying and making the weaponry for the War Machine armor!
Anyhow, since the Punisher gatling gun is way to heavy for the foam, something needs to be made to solve the issue. The cool thing is that it does spin and go bang bang bang!:love So being that it is way too heeavy for a foam mount and I hadn't seen any solutions beyond stacking huge blocks of non replica foam ect, something needed to be made....I have a good solution! However I have to build a back piece for the WM so I can measure it in and have proper placement! After the armour is done, I have some basic robotics books and tons of RC experience, so maybe we can mechanize it after the build is done
You all will like the ideas, as they are cheap, simple but very effective. I will be posting the ideas in this thread.
I may have rushed a lottle on the neck piece due to the mat situation and wanting to work on my MK3, but I think for me the foam will be ok for this WM build and I'll just keep the peps for the featured presentation! My MK3!

Oh and by the way, an electric carving knife cuts the foam like butter and gives nice long straight cuts as the blades are 8-10 inches long!! Give it a try! Way better than dulling an X-acto blade for each part!! You will still need blades and sissors for some cuts Especially the visible ones, but the electric knife will add another tool to your arsenal. They can be hard to find, but Wal-Mart carries them under 20$

Enjoy my War Machine thread!
M

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Foam War Machine and Gatling Gun with Stronger Mount and other WM weaponry!

Thanks! I was going to wait until I was done with the foam back piece to start the thread, but to tell the truth I see so many builders having gatling gun issues. I have designed an under armor support system that once I can prototype it and put up actual measurements I will post.
I have spent a couple of weeks looking for the right materials and have bought everything so all I need is my back built...mostly for the ability to measure and place my support structure.
It seems to me that most folks focus on the armors skin and then spend time trying to incorporate the gun "onto" the suit rather than the other way around!
Especially if your intention is to put something heavy that actually runs up top. I mean, not to take fantasy and put to much weight on it in reality, the gun would have to be integrated into the frame work and structure..just like in the movie, Stark built the frames first then skinned them.
I flew RC planes and used a lot of Kevlar and Carbon Fiber in my undertructures and frequently threw out stock parts. I then took my plane out and let very very skilled combat and pattern people try to tear the wings off with extreme aerobatics and high G maneuvers... and it was funny to see peoples faces when I took what looked to be a simple and basic aircraft with an apparently stock airframe out to do extreme flying and doing better that planes designed for that! It was alot of fun for me.
Same principle here. If your frame is weak the landing gear will crump everytime or worse parts fall off and you loose and expensive plane.
You can focus on pretty skin/paint jobs but if the frame is weak the process fails.
We spend so much trying to be movie accurate on the skin of the suit, but might be better suited (pun intended) to do just like the movie Stark and work on the frame first! I am not saying you need a whole endo skeleton, but some sub structure is cleary needed.
You will see! I am excited that the solution I have is light, and should be a very fast and cheap build. LOL!
The only problem is I am a slow fussy builder!:$ I am almost done with the new neck. It hates the old precious and had to try my foam skinned with the actual template. :lol
foamtemplateneck.jpg

This is a first attempt, I wanted some ridge on my neck rings.
I will PVA the foam edge then one coat of resin to soak the template, then on to a coating in plastic..
Even though it's not perfect, I think it will be nice when coated in plastic then filled with Dyna lite and sanded/primed ect.
I greatly sympathize with having to rebuild part and some of the great folks at RPF have given me clues and some ideas... still alot of trial and error though.
M

Last edited:

So at the risk of being redundant, I am posting this on both my threads since there is overlap..:sick
I have just finished a sort of experiment by joining pep/template/foam hybrid of a neck for my War Machine :facepalm a well as finishing first resin for the neck for my Mk3, I dont guess they are anywhere close to perfect,:wacko but I believe after plastic/filler/sanding/sanding/filling /sanding and priming LOL! They might pass as something Iron Manish?:behave
I am eager to see how the hybrid neck takes the resin and plastic. I am prepping the foam with PVA like Xrobots videos, to keep the resin off of the foam..(don't want to build that again...redundant part rebuilding 6 , Electraflier 0 :confused
I like how this turned out as I wanted the benefits of foam thickness and curves as well as the sharpness of pepakura. If this holds up I will do all of War Machine this way due to all the sharp corners and flat face/planes on the upper body especially.
completedfoampaperneck1.jpg

This is the foam/cardstock hybrid.
completefoamandpaperneck2-1.jpg

Back of foam/paper build
Both my MK3 and War machine neck!
bineck.jpg

I am hoping to spend some time this weekend plastic coating the MK3 neck and maybe a working on a little filler and primer. The War Machine will have to wait for coating as I am waiting for my jugs of 65D...
My wife said "you'll never finish your armour if you keep redoing stuff!":angry
However at last count I have;
2 necks, a lower leg MK3 (castable) a Zabana boot (castable) and useable for both MK3 and WM! (if I can figure out how to best mold that puppy.
and a ton of supplies gathered as well as tools, plastics; heck even rare earth magnets as well as the materials for the Gatling gun support!:love!
I have been a busy Pre-builder! :lol
On to War Machines back, lots of measuring and making the final choice as to use JFCustoms awesome speed build or Juices files or Robo's or ...
My breaks will be MK3 thighs! I am sticking with Dancin_fools wonderful MK3 files, they are deluxe!
TTFN
M

Inspirational, I'm actually stopping peping for a little while, I'm going to concentrate on the Bondo, I will start with the boots and then go from there....

So, I am really stuggling with the decision as to which War Machine torso I am going to do. I want foam, but I want detail.. I think I will need to hybridize and do a mixed foam/pepakura set.
I did order a War Machine helmet from Masked Rider! What a sweet looking War Machine helmet! Here is the link;
http://www.therpf.com/f13/iron-man-war-machine-ver-ii-finished-148748/
Masked is a super nice person and an absolute pleasure to do business with! He has stayed in communication with me as well which is very appreciated!! :cool
He also worked with me very patiently as I want to do a different version of War Machine as far as color goes, so I asked for no paint as I would hate to ruin such a work of art as his finished helmet just to repaint! Thanks Masked Rider!
Image seems to come and go and is not always visible when I look at my thread, so here is a link to some pictures of the Hot Toys Special edition Warm Machine
Hot Toys - Iron Man 2: 1/6th scale War Machine Limited Edition Collectible Figurine (Special Version) | YouBentMyWookie
&va=war+machine+special+edition"]Image Search Results for war machine special edition[/URL]
specialedition.jpg

This color scheme is ultra matte black, dove grey and silver. It is almost as hot as Iron Mans Red and Gold! (At least to me! :love )
Have to thank my new friend Propnoob74 as well for his help!
I have some serious planning to do tonight.:unsure

Last edited:

I hope the edited files are helping, I think I will do a mix to, I'm going to do the abs in foam...working on gluing my vac formed arm guns and gatlin...

LOL! In all a very bad day! One of my staff didnt show up for a shift and there was no one but me to fill the shift!!!:cry Course I was up till 2 am working on WM then got called in at 6 so very tired...
This was my day to work on the chest and back piece. I looked at the files briefly last night and they looked great!! I cant wait to work on them tomorrow! In true wife fashion, she has booked me for an outing tonight so today is shot!:sick
I hope to resume tomorrow! she assured me the day is mine (riigghht?) :unsure
Good news is I get to comp a shift one day this week so I sense a pep day!
M

Greetings Builder!
I love your stories of "repurposing" your wife's things and your dream responses of how proud you wish she was. Been there! Keep up the work brotha, You are doing a great job.

that is a very impressive war machine

LOL! In all a very bad day! One of my staff didnt show up for a shift and there was no one but me to fill the shift!!!:cry Course I was up till 2 am working on WM then got called in at 6 so very tired...
This was my day to work on the chest and back piece. I looked at the files briefly last night and they looked great!! I cant wait to work on them tomorrow! In true wife fashion, she has booked me for an outing tonight so today is shot!:sick
I hope to resume tomorrow! she assured me the day is mine (riigghht?) :unsure
Good news is I get to comp a shift one day this week so I sense a pep day!
M

To tell you the truth; actually is not bad that you have not have the chance to work on it, relax today and you will see tomorrow the creative juices will flow....

Today I had a mental blockage sort of speak, I'm putting together the vacuum formed guns, and forgot your recommendation from yesterday, so I stopped sat down on my balcony and cleared my mind, came back and wait until you see my update....

Enjoy your night out.....

Made a tiny bit of progress this afternoon. I am still messing with the foam/template hybrid and so far it is working great! A little slower than straight foam and wayy faster then pep. I like that I am getting a pre finished starter skin to plastic coat over and will only have to clean up the not so sharp edges when I Dyna Lite the armor pre sanding! I had hoped that when I glued the pieces together that the cardstock edges would tighly seal, but the foam pushes it aparts. When filled with resin though, they are very rigid and will be easy to fill in and sand!! This should yield the ultra sharp edges I want!:love
foamtemplateneck2.jpg

foamtemplateneck1.jpg

To stick the template to the foam I PVA'd the foam like Xrobots did before he plastic coated his test piece. I then PVA'd the template to the foam. I only had one small area lift when I really stressed a piece with heat applied. A small paint brush and PVA stuck it down again!
I also epoxied the foam/template neck today and was very happy about the resin penetration into the paper! The only areas it didnt penetrate well were areas that got too much PVA on the paper. That happened when I sealed the foam edges and had some spillage.
Lesson learned for the future. No glue on outside of paper. Excited that the cardstock template is solidly stuck to the foam like...well glue? LOL!:facepalm
My case of 65D should be here this week and I will probably have the foam/template speed build chest and back done in time to resin then plastic coat everything torso. The speed build will hopefully be my alignment jig for the BIG Gun mount!!
I also want to build the pep the War Machine torso using my friend Propnoo74s modified torso files. I will then compare and contrast the two... or combine them? we'll see.
I am very excited that Propnoob turned me on to Wondersquids awesome gatling/arm gun vacuform! I believe he will be posting a thead soon!
I will post pics as soon as mine comes in!

Last edited:

Just a super quick post then off to bed very very early for me, but an early work day ahead so got go.:cry
This is a thing of beauty. Assembling the War Machine chest pep!:love
Thanks Propnoob74 for sharing these lovely files with me! You sir, flat out rock! :cool
You can't beat the feeling of getting a section done and seeing the sharpness and fine detail. Cant wait to see the whole thing!
I think foam is cool, but pepakura just is the coolest thing I've ever done, yes, it even beats RC planes LOL! Well maybe, just maybe women beat pepakura, but they are certainly as complicated as pepakura!:lol
uni2.jpg

Goal is chest and back sections this week then to post under armor gatling gun mount sometime next week!!!
Coming soon to a thread near you!:behave

Last edited:

I'm glad you like them, but I just edit it the files were made by zabana and stagefivedrift Nice job, clean folds awesome keep the god work...

Still working like mad to get parts build, , but was very excited to get my RPF shirt in the mail. :lol
Wore it out last evening and Wow! I cannot believe the interest a tee shirt generated! I had literally a person at each place I went ask about RPF and what we do here!! You know how much a builder hates to bend someones ear about what our latest project is!:unsure
Sorry theres not more armor on Iron Mannequin, but it covered up the coolness!
rpf.jpg

I am not sure which is the biggest qualifier for progress on a build!?
This???? LOL :confused
My fire hazard, heat gun, paper and foam!:facepalm
scraps.jpg

Or this!???
halfchest.jpg

or the frowny face my wife gives me when she see's the first option?:rolleyes
tlo.jpg

Either way, I had a comp day for work as I'm salary and had to shed hours!!! Yeah! But I tell you it always takes longer than anticipated!:unsure

Last edited:

You know that I have to laugh!:lol
I thought that I'd have the whole back and chest assembly done today!!
I am sooo slow! :cry
Well back to plugging on!
threquaterchest.jpg

Nice clean work! I have to put some new pics of mine, is all hardened already. Now I just have to wait to get some resin and bondo to make some rondo...

Still working like mad to get parts build, , but was very excited to get my RPF shirt in the mail. :lol
Wore it out last evening and Wow! I cannot believe the interest a tee shirt generated! I had literally a person at each place I went ask about RPF and what we do here!! You know how much a builder hates to bend someones ear about what our latest project is!:unsure
Sorry theres not more armor on Iron Mannequin, but it covered up the coolness!
rpf.jpg
I want one of those so bad!!!!

You know you got me curious about the Rondo and I think I may get the fiberglass fiber Bondo and try that on the inside of mine as well. :cool
I love the idea of a gel/coat type finish on the inside. Then plastic and body filler the outside... we'll see how your turns out my friend!:lol
Thanks for the kudos! Your pics and the streamlining of stagefivedrifts files helps so much!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back