Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

Went to North Hollywood Park during Ciclavia this weekend.
Its the same park as the scene with Pee Wee trying to stunt on the X1.

x1 nhp3.jpgx1 nhp4.jpgx1 nhp5.jpgx1 nhp7.jpgMel dottie 4.JPGMel dottie 3.JPG

Love it! I wish I could have taken mine out for another test ride since I just got the fenders on, but Chicago was graced yesterday with one last blast of snow. How wonderful. To top that off, I've got an appointment the only warm day this week. Oh well, more time at home to perfect things, I guess.

That's the closest I can get to a real Dottie bike, there are only two shots of it and for sure the front is a Monark springer with shroud neck cover. If anyone has any Dottie bike images, please share. The actualy size basket would be much larger but the one it right now works great.

I've just placed an order for the start of my handlebars. Is the brake lever Lee Chi or Dia Compe?
Nevermind, looks like they're identical.

Last edited:
I wanted to say hello to everyone. its been almost 2 years since ive started my bike. I probably could have finished it along time ago. Due to money and time restraints dealing with saving for paramedic school, it starts in three months so im back until then. Ive just picked up some tail lights and have extras if anyone still needs them. I have 95% of the parts and some need a touch up on paint. So ill post picks in the next couple of weeks if i get time to work on them. But once again. HELLO EVERYONE =)

p.s. does anyone know how to replace the springs on the mesigner seat?

hotaspho, I believe you just remove the nut on the bottom of the spring and twist out the spring, You can also adjust the tension, just crank on the springs in the opposite direction. welcome back.

20150327_184729.jpg20150327_184745.jpg
Well, now I have a 3 speed hub and a shifter. What I don't have is any idea nor instructions on assembly. I've seen diagrams, but they don't seem to show what to do with some parts in the box. Does anyone know how this is assembled? It says 3S on the housing.

if your gonna lace a wheel as well, you might want to have a bike shop do it.
basically you have a hub, sprocket and hardware and shifter.
if its a coaster brake, kind of see the arm. the small bolt and strap go on the arm. the sprocket goes on the other side, sometimes there is a ring, that is a dust cover then the sprocket, then a large c-clip gets snapped in.
Sometimes you need sprockets with more or less teeth to make the ratio of the gear work with the front sprocket correctly, otherwise your 3 speed is not working to help you.

If you have a rear wheel already you may be able to reuse the spokes, what wheel lacing videos on yooutube, get a spoke wrench, go to it.

I would take it to a bike shop, like Abe said. If you want to do it yourself, you can, but there are a few issues. The main issue is the spokes, your current spokes may not be the right length with the new hub. At the very least, bring in your rim and the hub, and tell them you need spokes made for a three cross lace pattern. Get stainless spokes. Then you can lace the wheel, you'll have to true it so it's straight and round, and then run the cabling for the shifter.

Lacing isn't that hard, I did it myself after reading up on it and watching some videos. Truing is a bit harder, and that back wheel needs to be really straight with the skirt guards back there.

"Did anybody tell you that this is the private thread of the Satan's Helpers ?,.....IT'S OFF LIMITS!"
vest 3 001.JPG
I got my honorary "colors" just in time for summer riding, Ha, Ha.

Last edited:
20150328_163633.jpg20150328_163645.jpg
I think I've got the basic assembly for the hardware on the hub, and later I'll go to pick up a spoke wrench.
But before that, I've still got some pieces I'm unclear about.
20150328_163715.jpg

Hi everyone, just wanted to jump in and introduce myself. You've all done some amazing work!

I'm hoping to join in as soon as I can find a frame, but it's been a little slow going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To add onto Ryan's advice, try to steer clear of places like ebay. Most people there try to sell dx frames overpriced. ratrodbikes was where I found mine and it was around $70 including the original fenders.

Anyways I finished my new tiger siren mount. Like Rudd I went looking for the fattest, mallable piece of metal I could find and used a vice and hammer to bend it to shape.
DSCN0575.JPGDSCN0576.JPG

Next step is to paint the bracket black.

I also want to tell indianabric, make sure you oil the fork crown in between the spring and rubber piece, mine squeaked constantly and drove me nuts.

I left mine at what it was and it rides just fine, just don't loosen it too much cause if the bolt falls out it's a pain to put it back. Don't know when it's too tight.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back