Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

Thinking about clear coating the bike. Had a bad experience last time and had to start over after the clear coat ran all over the place. Any thoughts? Is the original clear coated?

The original is definitely not clear coated. It is a simply bad rattle can job. They didn't even clearcoat over the pin stripe tape after it was put on.

photo-2.JPG
Finished installing the buttons on the tank and project box. I'm useless with tools, so this is a big accomplishment for me.

Looks good turk. Make sure if your doing it with a rattle can just make sure you do even quick coats with out applying to much. Once it looks shiney sstop, otherwise itll rrun. There are plenty of youtube tutorials. If it runs you can always sand it with 1000 grit and try again

Hey people. If you did chrome tape on your saddle bags can you post some pictures. I would love to see how other bags turned out. Here is mine with 2-3 mm strips before I trimmed them. Screen Shot 2014-05-19 at 12.10.17 PM.png

I'll take some pics of mine, I think I used overlaping 1/2" strips, I tried like three diffrent tapes and didn't write down which one was sucessfull, I used the same stuff on the ribs and the badges. Since then they have crinkles and look much like the ones on the real bikes.

Hi everyone, I have a chance to purchase a late-model Schwinn southport cruiser, does this bike have a good number of parts that I can use for a good replica? I don't have a DX frame yet, but I thought I read somewhere on this thread that a modern cruiser has quite a bit of usable parts.

Nice to meet everyone here, I've been reading this thread for a couple of years, and joined the discussion today!

Jason

Last edited:
Jason....you might be able to use the front wheel, sprocket and crank if you aren't going for hyper accurate. I have this same style bike and it makes a great daily rider. It would be a shame to tear into it for such few parts.

Welcome to the club. It's a crazy ride but damn it's fun.

Hi, yeah I found that earlier post... The cruiser was from the early eighties, so I'll probably pass on this bike. I run a restoration shop for toys, have a foundry and machine shop there, so I'm hopefully going to build it as accurate as it can possibly be. Finally going to start collecting pieces!

Welcome Rusty Clockwork. I have found that it's best to get the right parts the first time around, cutting corners costs more and takes longer in the end. Where are you located?

I would be happy to give back to this very informative group. So should I build anything that's not already available from the other contributors to this thread, I'd be happy to do a short production run. My shop is also involved in helping a bright gentleman in building a full scale functional aircraft replica of Porco Rosso's red Savoia.

Hi Ruddigger, our shop is located north of Indianapolis, Indiana. Yes Sir, that advice is the best... I follow that philosophy when I'm purchasing equipment, "cry once over the price" but it'll last longer.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back