Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

DSC_0638.JPGIMG_0812.jpgDSC_0689.JPGIMG_0775.jpgphoto 2.JPGIMG_0781.jpgphoto 1.JPGDSC_0685.JPGIMG_0792.jpgDSC_0688.JPG

Took two years off, but I finally started back on my bike. Have not posted since a page in the 50's. Great to be back! I painted the frame and primed the tank today. Getting ready to prime and paint the fenders, fender skirts and project box next.

Finally I can talk about this! Several months ago I reached out to the Bicycle Museum of America to document their bike, and after looking at some pictures of the bike, found it was missing a number of parts likely due to greedy hands over the years so my partners and I volunteered to restore the bike for the museum.

Over the last two months I have replaced missing parts, fabricated new parts and repaired many other parts…..all while maintaining the 30 years of patina the bike had gathered and any wear and tear from filming.

Although due to contractual obligations with the museum, I can't provide tracings or anything else more tangible on the bike, I will provide what I can to help others along. The measurements that have been posted before are pretty spot on, but there are a couple of things that I'll try to address.

The saddle bags were in fact vac formed with a 1/2" plywood backing. The backing boards are held on with three bolts to the frame and then the bags are screwed into the boards along the lip. The center console is held into place with 2 screws into the fender.

Thats is funny you helped restore it, i sent Annette a few parts a few years ago, but when they went and bought the wrong tiger for a ton on money, i gave up on them.
Is that black velcro tape peeking out the sides of the top rear bag? Did you happen to save the hinge piece that was inside the top rear bag? There was also an original amber lens piece inside. I believe kzaxbug saw this bike in Ohio and sat on it, he posted pics on here a long time ago. I think he had his bike on display at bicycle heaven for a while.

Last edited:
Edward.....no, the mudflap was one I molded from a real one and the medallion was a resin one I made from a vac form copy someone gave me.

Abe.....I'm not sure who Annette is but yes, it was the smaller tiger which I re painted to make it look right. Being that we paid for all of this out of pocket it was the best solution for now.

As far as the rear bag goes, the hinge was repaired, the Velcro removed and there was no amber lens. That was something I had to replace.

It was hard making a couple of the parts look crappy and 30 years old but they were very concerned it wouldn't all blend in. I don't think anyone will notice.

Hey Gregg,

Fantastic work on getting the bike restored. From what I remember way back on this thread, when the previous pics were posted the bike was looking like it had seen better days. Now it looks like better days ahead. Defintely a balncing act trying to keep the authentic feel (ie: crappy look of some of the parts), plus keeping the patina intact & still not have the bike look like it had taken a beating. Looks really nice in the end.

Thanks. There were repairs that I didn't make that I would have liked , but ultimately it is exactly how it should be.

photo 1 copy.JPGphoto 2 copy.JPG
Finished painting the project box and drilling the holes in the tank. First coat of paint on the tanks was interrupted by a couple of flies. Need to do some touch up work before the second coat of paint.

PW 2.jpgPW 1.jpglake merrit ride.jpg This is how my ride turned out. First two shots of it being done. The shot by Lake Merrit if from my first ride! Lot's of cat calls, cars stopping, comments and kids following me. I tried to keep moving. Most common things yelled are Pee Wee! and people imitating his laugh terribly last minute. My response is a ring of the bell and my fine tuned Pee Wee laugh!! I have two preschoolers so it is tough to break away and ride it more often. Still looking to get the lights wired up, water spray and smoke out of the back.

Thanks DB. Gotta reattach the front flap. I hung it too low and it ripped off. Ka ching $$!. Lot's of fun to ride. I feel like Mary Poppins riding Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Lots of squeaks, and parts rubbing and bouncing around. I pick up a nut and hear random sounds on it. I am used to biking fast so this is a fun one to take it nice and slow on.

Nice pics Joe. Must feel good to be finished. I especially dig the lake shot. Looks like you just need a random vine to drop from the sky & you could swing across it.

Here is my bike on display at the Hub City Cycles art show here in Lafayette, LA. The shop owner wants me to keep it there a while! I still need to install my skirts.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 117

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back