Painting Sauron Armor Help

cadu1990

Hello guys.

I'm making a Sauron armor, using foam. The helmet and gloves are already done and I'm working on the forearms.

However, my painting skills are veeery low, so I'm having trouble finding the finish I want.
Could you guys help me with that? This is the look I want, remembering, I don't have an airbrush:

UC2941.JPG

Here's what the pieces look so far
270420141775.jpg

Well kialna, you achieved that result by just dry-brushing? That sure is impressive. You think I should just paint the armor black, and give some coats of silver dry-brushing? BTW, can you use any kind of chip brush or do you recommend a particular type?

Yes I did. I've done some statues in the past.

I think it would be a good way. Seal the foam first. And I just used a simple acrylic brush (usually pig hair, pretty stiff/rough)

Also, refrain from just using silver. Try a dark brownish(nearly black, maybe mix it) layer first. Maybe another. Then start with mixing silver with the brown. And eventually just silver.

The layers will make it look more realistic and metal-like.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it would become a loose layer, and probably crack and let loose. You need to seal it.

I look forward to your results! Remember, basecoat, not too much paint, nearly no water and don't press too hard. :)

Noted! What I'm gonna do is paint a black basecoat, and apply several shades of silver, starting with the darker ones and finishing with the pure silver, to make the highlights ^^

I'd still advise a shade of brown, to get a warm, metally look. Maybe somewhat rusty, but that's what I'd do.

I'm curious to see the result.

Agreed, many many layers of dry brushing will definitely work, it's personally my favorite way to work on props as well. Everything kialna said is spot on, some fantastic advice there.
Good luck!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back