painting fabric?

th3 pr3dat0r

hi guys, so i have decided that for this years suit, i would take a non-latex route due to the heat. so i decide i could make a muscle build on a long sleeve shirt, then cover it with another long sleeve shirt and paint it. but my problem with painting onto a shirt is that, well, would it blend and come out correctly? i want to go with this patern http://www.predatorstuff.com/gallery/index...ure&id=5380 i dont have access to an airbrush as of now due to a jam perhaps from left over latex... unless some one can help me out with that. my plan was to possibly sponge on the shades and use a fabric marker for spots.

Intresting idea :D

I used a rambo muscle suit/torso. I painted it but i forgot to make a "ducktape" dummy of my body ... when the torso was dry it became a hard "armor".
It lost it stretch.

I'm sure it'll work out just fine. To help with the stiffness, I suggest to get fabric paint medium. You can usually find it next to the regular paints at a craft/fabric store like Joann's. You basically mix a little bit of it in with whatever acrylic colors you're using and you're good to go. I don't know what your painting experience is but to get a real good blend, you may want to water down the paint just a tad to be able to get the blending done before it dries on you and work fast. Also, you probably should put down a base layer of paint before doing the blending because I find that it'll absorb the paint before you can get a good blend in.

I'm usually so lost when it comes to sculpting molding and casting, finally something I know a thing or two about. Hope this helped

~Scrapps.

I'm sure it'll work out just fine. To help with the stiffness, I suggest to get fabric paint medium. You can usually find it next to the regular paints at a craft/fabric store like Joann's. You basically mix a little bit of it in with whatever acrylic colors you're using and you're good to go. I don't know what your painting experience is but to get a real good blend, you may want to water down the paint just a tad to be able to get the blending done before it dries on you and work fast. Also, you probably should put down a base layer of paint before doing the blending because I find that it'll absorb the paint before you can get a good blend in.

I'm usually so lost when it comes to sculpting molding and casting, finally something I know a thing or two about. Hope this helped

~Scrapps.
thanks man thats pretty much just what i needed. and for the link for the paints, thanks. im trying to find some stuff more local and tommorow i will pick up some white long sleeve shirts and start to get the muscle down. i plan on getting one shirt then putting foam muscles on it then putting another larger shirt onto it and spray glue it together. and you say that it will become "hard" if its a fabric paint wouldn't it be flexible??

For the shirts, check WalMart. They have starter spandex shirts that won't create that baggy look for around $10...

Also, Badger should have a retailers list. Just email customer service and ask them for the local stores.

Best of luck!

I was thinking about doing this at one time, and I actually bought a set of fabric spray paints at Michael's. I never used them, though. I have one set of green, red, yellow, and blue, along with a single tube of white.

If you want to take them off my hands, send me a PM, and I can send them to you for a few bucks plus the cost of shipping.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back