Painting Dread Beads (P1 Style)

avpfan36

I've decided go ahead an paint all the dread beads that came with my new P1 mask. They currently have a dull weathered bronze-gold look with light patina on some, which looks alright but they don't really stand out at all. I picked up "Metallic Pure Gold" acrylic paint as well as black for the little indents on the beads, and I'm quite happy with how they turned out. Both paints were purchased at my local "Michaels" craft store, and I couldn't seem to find a paint color to match what is originally on the beads.. I was curious to know how you guys go about painting beads, by hand with a brush individually (which I'm doing, it's gonna take forever!) or is there a quicker way? Also, what paint color(s) do you use on them?

Here's a couple pics of what the newly painted ones will look like, next to the original bead color and a quick shot of the mask. What do you guys think? (By the way, the new paint isn't shiny but in certain lighting it appears that way.) :)

img0101p.jpg.png
img0100uz.jpg.png

On the original P1 movie suit, the beads were gold, so you went with a good choice in changing them to gold. Drybrushing does take a long time, but the result looks great.

The part that takes the longest is painting all those little black lines. They look much better though, there's a few beads that are wrapped with leather bits which is super glued on there. I'm not sure if I should mess with those cause that leather has to come off in order to paint them, I'd all the beads to look the same...but it's not a total must.

Just a note for next time to make it easier. Try painting the rings all black first and then just drybrush the gold on. Drybrushing is where you get a small amount of paint on the brush and wipe most of it off, then stroke the brush over the ring. Because you have wiped off most of the paint, it won't be wet enough to get in the crevaces, and the black will still show. Less trouble than painting the lines and trying to stay in the grooves...

Thanks for that tip PredatrHuntr. I've been chugging along steadily and finally getting close to finishing these. Was thinking of putting some kind of clear coat on them to help protect the paint, but that might look a little weird... unless I get a matte finish clear maybe?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back