painting advice needed... tsukuda STAY PUFT MARSHMALLOW MAN

d_osborn

Sr Member
i picked up the 15 in. tsukuda STAY-PUFT MARSHMALLOW MAN on ebay a few weeks ago. i've built quite a few car models, but never a figure model. the kit is molded in white, and my first plan was to just leave the white areas unpainted. however, over the past 20 years, the white has had a change of heart, and decided to change yellow in some areas. i have NO experience with this stuff, but i'd really like this model to turn out good. i assume it's vinyl, but i could be wrong. it doesn't say on the box. what paints would be good to use? any special techniques? ANY advice on painting and detailing would be appreciated BIG time!
icon_smile.gif

If it's vinyl (soft, hollow plastic) then you can't use any oil based paint without a good water based sealer or it will eat the plastic. I'd use acrylic paint (Tamiya?), just to be safe.

phase- yeah, it was a japanese kit released in 84. i belive there was a smaller kit also. the "jumbo" 15 inch kit came with two heads, happy and evil.
icon_smile.gif
as for how it compares to the NECA figure... there is no comparison. i was VERY excited to hear about the NECA figure. that is... until i saw it. the tsukuda kit is VERY accurate. blows the NECA figure out of the water....

stonky-i'm a long time acrylic user. the kit has some flex to it, so it's probably vinyl. what would be the best method of painting the large, white portions of the body? i don't have an airbrush, and i really don't want to brush an area that big. are there any high-quality acrylic model paints available in spray?

Derek,...
Stonky is correct, man.
Use Tamiya acrylic paints. They go on smooth and uniform with an airbrush and they hold up really well. That kit you have is the nicest I've seen. Hands down. I've always meant to pick one up and I'm sure I will eventually.
Sweet score dude.
icon_smile.gif

thanks stonky and sean! taymiya acrylics it is!!!
icon_smile.gif

prepare to be bombarded with questions while i build this thing, lol.... are there any specific products that work well for masking vinyl models?

I use automotive primer from an aerosol on vinyl kits. Once the model has had a coat of the primer, you can use any paint you want on it, but i would stick with the automotive paints if i were you.

Do you have any photos of the kit you can post?

Keith.

keith- i actually don't have any pics at this time, but i'll definately post some when it's done. with classes in full swing, i haven't had much hobby time lately...

Hey, D_Osborn I was just wondering if you ever got to uploading pictures of the kit or have any info on how you went about painting it. I have one coming in from China very soon and I want to know where I should begin and where I should end. Hope your able to update your thread without too much trouble.

Thanks.

Hey, D_Osborn I was just wondering if you ever got to uploading pictures of the kit or have any info on how you went about painting it. I have one coming in from China very soon and I want to know where I should begin and where I should end. Hope your able to update your thread without too much trouble.

Thanks.

Where in China did you pick one up ? I always wanted one

One night late night I decided I wanted one so started to search. Luckily I came across a for sale posting that was in chinese. I translated it and bought it. It had only been posted up for about 2 hours before I bought it.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back