P1 Stunt Bio-Helmet Cleanup

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
This past weekend, I picked up a stunt helmet casting and couldn't be more thrilled. It it unlikely that I will ever own an entire costume, but I would like to pick up most of the helmets from Sideshow as well as the P2 from HCG for a wall collection of all the movie helmets with linage back to the originals.

When I got this casting, it was primered, but needed a little cleanup. I wish I had taken a shot of it while it was primered but failed to do so. :popcorn:

My intent is to do as minimal a cleanup on it as possible, but essentially prep it for the addition of the laser housing and the detail on the opposite temple. Then I will have to send it to someone who can complete the details and paint.

Anyway, here it is, as it stands. I have taken down the primer, smoothed the surface ever so slightly, begun removing burs, and glazed a few pinholes and other areas, and applied some apoxie sculpt to the main mold damage and where the resin and fiberglass backing had gaps. I have sanded most of that back down and here it is. My greatest struggle right now is how to handle the edges. In looking at the helmets from AVP and Predators, the edges actually curl all the way under so you see little to no actual edge but rather a rounded lip around the rim of the helmet. I simply don't have good enough reference to tell if the P1 was done the same or whether it is just the raw edge, sanded and cleaned up. If I have to build a false lip, it is going to take a LOT of apoxie putty.

predator_stunt_helmet.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Art.. It's George.. Met you at Monsterpalooza..glad Ross was able to get you that pull from my mold. As for building up that lip, many of us have been using plumber epoxy.. It's way easier to use then epoxy sculpt.. Dries fast and is easy to sand

Congrats on getting the holy grail of Bios!!!

The inside of the rim can be rounded, but thats a lot of work. I personally try to follow the natural lines and trim them down with a dremel to make the lines even. I did 2 of the P1 Stunts and the lines are pretty much there - just need some TLC. The difficult part for me was getting the area between the eyes and mouth straight again. Thank goodness for Apoxie :popcorn:

I had so much fun cleaning up my 2...its such a wicked Bio to see in person. If you need any reference pics, here's a couple threads for you:

http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...mp;#entry287539

http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...21497&st=40

Hey Art.. It's George.. Met you at Monsterpalooza..glad Ross was able to get you that pull from my mold. As for building up that lip, many of us have been using plumber epoxy.. It's way easier to use then epoxy sculpt.. Dries fast and is easy to sand

George, it was great to meet you and I absolutely love the helmet! It is one of my all-time favorite movie designs! Is plumbers epoxy something I can just pick up from Home Depot or does it need to be special ordered?

George, it was great to meet you and I absolutely love the helmet! It is one of my all-time favorite movie designs! Is plumbers epoxy something I can just pick up from Home Depot or does it need to be special ordered?
Hey art I can't believe that I was not able to meet you @ Monsterpalooza oh well maybe next year :popcorn:

Hey art I can't believe that I was not able to meet you @ Monsterpalooza oh well maybe next year :popcorn:

Will you be at Comic Con?

In working on things for the RPF, I find myself in LA more and more often. Would love to meet up with some of you guys the next time I am in So-Cal.

Yup - thats where I got mine from. George uses Plumbers Epoxy because it sets quickly - 5-10 minutes or so, whereas I prefer Apoxie Sculpt because it has an hour of working time.

Thanks for the ref! I am going to go pick up the blu-ray today and see if anything can be told about how the edges were finished. I have been checking out your threads and your work on this helmet is incredible. I am not a builder and don't have the skill/talent to do the things you do, so I will noodle around with it a bit, do the minimal cleanup and then find someone with a lot more skill than I possess to finish it out.

Congrats on getting the holy grail of Bios!!!

The inside of the rim can be rounded, but thats a lot of work. I personally try to follow the natural lines and trim them down with a dremel to make the lines even. I did 2 of the P1 Stunts and the lines are pretty much there - just need some TLC. The difficult part for me was getting the area between the eyes and mouth straight again. Thank goodness for Apoxie :popcorn:

I had so much fun cleaning up my 2...its such a wicked Bio to see in person. If you need any reference pics, here's a couple threads for you:

http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...mp;#entry287539

http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...21497&st=40

Art - Here's a thread I put together when I finished up my P1 Stunt. I spent weeks looking at pictures and really didn't find a whole lot of info about the lip, so I just made one up, based upon the available photos. Hopefully the thread helps brother!

One last bit for today. Having seen the other examples of members building up the visor area, I went ahead and built mine up PRIOR to cutting the eyes. I am hoping that will strengthen the overall lip and keep it from falling apart when I cut the eyes out and provide a nice platform for the visor to rest on.

predator_stunt_helmet3.jpg

Last edited:
Looking great Art.. You are well on your way. BTW.. For members who may not know Art, he is the owner or the Replica Prop Forum.. A pleasure to have as part of our community

I said I was going to stop, but I just keep seeing things I want to mess with.

So I cut out the eyes... and man, are they harder than I thought. Based on pics that Jason posted, it would seem the only known original helmet does has the pieces between the eyes intact, so I am TRYING to keep mine intact as well, but it is tough. I am going to have to go back in and build a bit of it back up because I took too much out. Here is a comparison. The angle of my helmet isn't right but it is close. After looking at the movie, and looking at this pic, I see the edging along the back of the helmet needs to be MUCH thinner.

predator_stunt_helmet_compare.jpg

predator_stunt_helmet4.jpg

Last edited:
Its hard to see in that last known original Bio pic, but you could be right about the piece between the eyes and the mouth being intact. Who knows if that was screen used or just a duplicate copy in case anything happened to the screen used ones. Typically that area is cut out to allow for the lenses to go all the way across from eye to eye, but I have to admit that having left the support in between give it more strength if dropped and while painting.

The one physical attribute I never liked about Bios was how fragile they can be if the resin cracks on either side of the jaw. Has this every happened to me? Yes, when I bought my second Bio, and it will always be a fear of mine...I have nightmares about it!!!

Its hard to see in that last known original Bio pic, but you could be right about the piece between the eyes and the mouth being intact. Who knows if that was screen used or just a duplicate copy in case anything happened to the screen used ones. Typically that area is cut out to allow for the lenses to go all the way across from eye to eye, but I have to admit that having left the support in between give it more strength if dropped and while painting.

The one physical attribute I never liked about Bios was how fragile they can be if the resin cracks on either side of the jaw. Has this every happened to me? Yes, when I bought my second Bio, and it will always be a fear of mine...I have nightmares about it!!!

Agreed. Much like the Boba Fett helmet design, once you cut the eyes out, the helmet isn't exactly stable. After watching the movie again today, I really feel there are indicators (just indicators, not proof) that the center section is there in the movie as well. Trying to get better pics.

looking good Art! your attention to detail is awesome. BTW your Royce get up on the RPF is coming along really nice.

looking good Art! your attention to detail is awesome. BTW your Royce get up on the RPF is coming along really nice.

Thanks. The Royce has stalled a bit while I am waiting on the final shotgun shell pouches. I was hoping to have it ready for Comic Con, but that is looking pretty unlikely at this point.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back