overrated or underrated

Overrated -

Harry Potter series -

The first HP film was OK, but as as the stories piled up it gets more and more pointless. Despite the praises that RK Rowling gets I think she really has no idea how to properly use the monomyth storytelling template or how to conclude or execute an effective character arc.
The first film supposedly establishes Harry as the "chosen one" who is destined for greatness, however, through the past 6 films Harry's character arc has come to a complete halt. His journey to greatness has gone nowhere (It seems Hermione is the only one out of their group who has talent with wizardry) while Harry and Ron are always portrayed as the typical bufoonish guys who always screw up a spell or always need to be rescued.
You would think after so many years at Hogwarts Harry's skills would have improved and he would at least start to show characteristics of the person he is destined to be.

Also, each installment seems to derail from the main purpose (or is loosely associated with it), and always goes off course on some wild quest while the main storyline (dealing with Voldemort) gets pushed aside as filler. Long detailed elements, which hold little interest are placed, center stage....Like sports matches or competitions. Apparently the only thing Harry seems to be somewhat good at is wizard sports.

I really think Rowling is trying to outdo JRR Tolkein's LOTR saga, and in the process has made a convoluted mess.

Last edited:
have you seen all of nolans films or are you making an ignorant judgment based on several of his films....

if the nolan batman films ruined it for you, then you have problems...because nothing is worse than batman and robin.....that should have killed it for most dedicated fans....nolan took a realistic approach while schumacker took a more goofy approach..

i find it funny when people just say the film is only popular for ledger...HA!

There's only 2 so far that I know of, and yes i've seen them both. And they both equally sucked. As for Batman and Robin and Batman Forever, I know they sucked. And if I have problems because you think so, then go ahead and think what you want. These are all peoples opinions. Everybody has them, just like ********. It just takes a certain person to step out and be the ******* though. Don't agree with opions, don't comment on them. It's that simple.

I'd take Batman & Robin - as bad as it was - over Batman Begins. I find the Nolan films not realisitic at all, I find them insipid, boring and with little depth. As has been stated on this board in the past: dark does not equal realistic - because little about the Batman Begins is realisitic - and well, Batman & Robin doesn't even try to be realisitic.

I do think George Clooney was a terrible Batman... but, I think Christian Bale is that just as bad or worse. Frankly, if I watch either of those two movies again - it's too soon. BUT, Batman & Robin is pretty much known to be a bad flick, no one here is saying it's overrated - some of us, despite their popularity find the Nolan/Bale Batflicks to be dramatically overrated. That's just our opinion, no need to attack based on an opinion.

As far as Dark Knight, Heath Ledger was the best part of that movie for me. His performance was incredible and saved what I still find to be a shipwreck of a film. Aaron Eckhart was decent and I do give them props for killing off the Rachel Dawes character (and Maggie Gyllenhall's incredibly bad performance)... overall, it was a better film that Batman Begins - but, I still find it to be incredibly subpar.

Couldn't agree with you more. Heath was the only major good thing in that movie though I do think it still sucked. I still think he's not as good as Nicholson was but again, opinions, opinions. Maggie Gyllenhall looked like Katie holmes on meth for ****** sakes and Eckhart didn't have a big enough role as Two-Face. They could have done more with him but failed to. And as for Christian Bale... well, what CAN'T I say? His "Batman" voice is so low that you can barely make out what he's saying half the time, not to mention in The Dark Knight it was a bit off than Batman Begins was and it made him sound like a ****.

as for other over/under rated movies

Grindhouse was under rated. Machete was under rated aswell but when the trailer came with the Grindhouse films, it was what everybody wanted to see.

Let Me In went completely under the radar aswell, though it is a US remake of a superior foreign film.

Over rated i'm gonna have to go with the Spiderman series. I ddin't like any of the 3 and don't even know why they're revamping it. Also Titanic, No Country For Old Men and theres a few others on the list. Just can't think of them at the moment.

There's only 2 so far that I know of, and yes i've seen them both. And they both equally sucked. As for Batman and Robin and Batman Forever, I know they sucked. And if I have problems because you think so, then go ahead and think what you want. These are all peoples opinions. Everybody has them, just like ********. It just takes a certain person to step out and be the ******* though. Don't agree with opions, don't comment on them. It's that simple.
i didnt mean in that way.....emotions are lost in this technological world called the internet...i should have put a laughing face in there somewhere....
i respect his opinion...just curious if he saw all of nolan's films or making a decision based on a few.....
and batman and robin was awful....and anybody that says it was better than the dark knight or begins is crazy....crazy talk i tell you...:lol

i guess you didnt see my follow up post...i was just kidding...relax...also this is a forum...people all have different opinions..because i disagree with you doesnt mean i cant comment on your silly post....

and to spat out with this "Everybody has them, just like ********. It just takes a certain person to step out and be the ******* though"...you wont last long here..

No actually I didn't. Sorry. It's hard to tell if you were being serious or not. that's my fault. I just got here and don't know anybody from a hole in the wall. As for not lasting long here, I could always find stuff in stores and ebay if I wanted too. Not saying I don't wanna be here but if it comes down to it. I'm just here to collect memorabiia be it props or clothing. I'm not here looking for friends and enemies. I'm not saying I don't want to make friends just saying it's not my main purpose here. We just seemed to have gotten off on the wrong foot. Well I have at least.

Other than collecting stuff I'm hoping to learn how to make stuff like masks and suits and whatnot. But i'm sure that'll come later.

Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

no worries at all..i totally understand....partially my fault as well...i should have made an indication i was kidding...

as for the not lasting long here, i just dont want to see you get in trouble for the language....i think the last member here that got banned got banned for obsessive language and breaking the language filter...

welcome to the site btw

Heh thanks. Maybe i won't last long after all lol. Nah I usually tend to keep it down on the swearing but I thought that was a verbal attack at me and so being like my father it got the worst of me.

As I said though, I'm new here, still learning. thinking of stuff to start making but again I know jack squat about building or even where to find stuff to build. And I'm sure i can't get stuff comissioned for me like suits and helmets. I gotta learn somewhere though and am interested in a new hobby lol.

That's a damn nice collection you got there though. Loved that movie when I was a kid. been ages since i've watched it... Come to think of it, was it even a movie or a tv show?

Dark Knight was overrated. It wasn't a bad movie IMO, it just owes most of its success to some people's fetish for sadness. It happens all the time when people die. If Ledger was still alive, people would have liked his performance, but Mark Hammill or Jack Nicholson would still be THE Joker.

And of course Avatar qualifies as the most overrated movie of all time. Should have gotten worst film of the year.

As for underrated, I can only think of Sunshine at the moment. The last act was crap, but the beginning made it worth watching.

Ah... but 'anybody' includes friends, hence the negative answer to the question.

Yes, of course, but I'm more curious as to why the anybody-that-isn't-a-friend's opinion of a film would make you question your "sanity, taste, and intelligence." Seems to me you're giving strangers an inordinate amount of power over your world-view.

Underrated
Shawshank Redemption - not sure its underrated but its a great film
This is England - Enjoyed watching it
Knights Tale - Probably not everyones cup of tea but I find it funny
R Point - Not sure if many people will have seen this but I enjoyed it.
the 9th company - Again not sure many people would have seen this film, but it was really intresting.

Overrated
Transporter's - I liked the first one its just not believable at times plus I think the fight scenes drag on.

Yes, of course, but I'm more curious as to why the anybody-that-isn't-a-friend's opinion of a film would make you question your "sanity, taste, and intelligence." Seems to me you're giving strangers an inordinate amount of power over your world-view.

Haha... this is getting sticky, lol... no, I don't give strangers such power over my weltanschauung, only the friends. So it comes down to some difficulty here regarding sets or the definition - or intended use - of 'anybody', lol. I maintain that I must answer 'no' to 'Ever noticed that anybody who likes a film you hate is a moron?' because I take 'anybody' here to mean all people, but I'm excluding some people (the friends). (this is fun!)

'Anybody who likes a film you hate is a moron.' This means that all people who like a film you hate are morons. This is presumably what Carlin means by 'anybody' in his original phrase - all people who blah blah. And I'm replying to your paraphrase: no, not all people. Possibly, a curious ambiguity arises when expressing this in a negative answer form of the original question, e.g: 'No, I have never noticed that anybody who hates a film I like is a moron.' It seems 'anybody' has to be replaced with 'everybody', but it's not necessary in the original question. Not to ME anyway! And to borrow Nwerke's phrase: I AM THE ARBITER! :lol

jlee, have you seen the movie Big Fish by burton? what did you think about it (if you did see it that is)?

Honestly, no. I know it's bad form, but I reject watching anything Burton nowadays. There is something in his movies that I just viscerally object too.

Maybe it's the stupid twisted branches.

Overrated:
Big Fish
Edward Scissorhands
Batman Returns

Underrated:
Mars Attacks

All this talk of Burton movies came in handy. :)

Underrated: Secret of N.I.M.H.

Here is a story that has lab rats who gain intelligence enough to understand language and science and are able to form their own society. It's also a story with a mouse who freed a group of these rats, remained loyal to them and to the animals in their homeland who one day decided to start his own family. But the most important for me? This is NOT THEIR STORY. It's a story about a widowed mother who goes on an incredibly dark journey in order to save her family. Her journey is our journey as we understand all of those story elements through her perspective. Couple that with one of Jerry Goldsmith's most heart touching scores ever composed with great voice acting and you have one of the most under-appreciated animated films of all time.

Overrated: Star Trek (2009)

Kirk: Arm phasers. Fire everything we've got!
And that's after the helpless and disabled enemy ship refuses assistance while it's being destroyed by a black hole. There's a difference between wanting to kill a bad guy, and needing to kill a bad guy.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back