overrated or underrated

Just because they didn't make Rocketeer 2: Evil Rocketeer! :love

Saw it in a practically empty cinema with the supporting Donald Duck short. Awesomes!

Funny, I saw it in a packed theater. Lots of cheers and applause throughout. Someone behind me said "This one sure is a crowd pleaser".

I agree with OP. Nolans films are over rated. This "Bruce Wayne Trilogy" sucks. I fell asleep in the tehater for the first time ever watching Batman Begins. I used to be a huge Batman mark but these films kinda ruined it for me. And hell, the only reason why The Dark Knight was so popular was cause all the teeny boppers had to go see Heath's 2nd last performance. Which brings me to the under rated films.

Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus was alot better than either of the first revamped Batman movies IMO. I also think that since that was Heath's last performance, it should have actually been made more hyped up than it was. I'm not Heath fan in any way. I have nothing bad to say about it, but oddly I think that his last film, which by rights should have blown up, was sadly under rated.

I agree with OP. Nolans films are over rated. This "Bruce Wayne Trilogy" sucks. I fell asleep in the tehater for the first time ever watching Batman Begins. I used to be a huge Batman mark but these films kinda ruined it for me. And hell, the only reason why The Dark Knight was so popular was cause all the teeny boppers had to go see Heath's 2nd last performance. Which brings me to the under rated films. .

have you seen all of nolans films or are you making an ignorant judgment based on several of his films....

if the nolan batman films ruined it for you, then you have problems...because nothing is worse than batman and robin.....that should have killed it for most dedicated fans....nolan took a realistic approach while schumacker took a more goofy approach..

i find it funny when people just say the film is only popular for ledger...HA!

OVERRATED -

Donnie Darko
No Country for Old Men
Titanic
Kill Bill

UNDERRATED -

War of the Worlds (Spielberg)
Minority Report
Fringe
Watchmen

have you seen all of nolans films or are you making an ignorant judgment based on several of his films....

if the nolan batman films ruined it for you, then you have problems...because nothing is worse than batman and robin.....that should have killed it for most dedicated fans....nolan took a realistic approach while schumacker took a more goofy approach..

This is about opinion and the dude and other's are giving their two cents. If you don't agree - that's fine, but no reason to be an ass about it.

I'd take Batman & Robin - as bad as it was - over Batman Begins. I find the Nolan films not realisitic at all, I find them insipid, boring and with little depth. As has been stated on this board in the past: dark does not equal realistic - because little about the Batman Begins is realisitic - and well, Batman & Robin doesn't even try to be realisitic.

I do think George Clooney was a terrible Batman... but, I think Christian Bale is that just as bad or worse. Frankly, if I watch either of those two movies again - it's too soon. BUT, Batman & Robin is pretty much known to be a bad flick, no one here is saying it's overrated - some of us, despite their popularity find the Nolan/Bale Batflicks to be dramatically overrated. That's just our opinion, no need to attack based on an opinion.

As far as Dark Knight, Heath Ledger was the best part of that movie for me. His performance was incredible and saved what I still find to be a shipwreck of a film. Aaron Eckhart was decent and I do give them props for killing off the Rachel Dawes character (and Maggie Gyllenhall's incredibly bad performance)... overall, it was a better film that Batman Begins - but, I still find it to be incredibly subpar.

To paraphrase George Carlin: "Have you ever noticed that anybody who hates movies you like is an idiot, and anyone who loves movies you don't is a maniac?"

Underrated:

Valley of Gwangi (the dialogue is quite good for this kind of thing - a lot of nice sarcasm and backbiting between the leads)

Overrated:

Burn After Reading (Fargo it ain't.)
All Eric Rohmer films

Last edited:
To paraphrase George Carlin: "Have you ever noticed that anybody who hates movies you like is an idiot, and anyone who loves movies you don't is a maniac?"

Nope. When friends love something I hate, I first question my own sanity, taste and intelligence, because I know they're not idiots! Finally, I put the discrepancy down to differring sensibilities...

I know you are, but what am I? :lol

In all honesty, at times I can try to see what other people like about things I do/don't. But, that said sometimes, it just baffles me how people can like certain things.

I know you are, but what am I? :lol

In all honesty, at times I can try to see what other people like about things I do/don't. But, that said sometimes, it just baffles me how people can like certain things.

I know the feeling.

This is about opinion and the dude and other's are giving their two cents. If you don't agree - that's fine, but no reason to be an ass about it..

i didnt mean in that way.....emotions are lost in this technological world called the internet...i should have put a laughing face in there somewhere....

i respect his opinion...just curious if he saw all of nolan's films or making a decision based on a few.....

and batman and robin was awful....and anybody that says it was better than the dark knight or begins is crazy....crazy talk i tell you...:lol

Overrated:
Anything Tarantino
Anything Tim Burton. I find his remake of Willy Wonka pretty distasteful, and Planet of the Apes was just downright awful.
Nolan Batman movies. The Dark Knight was good, Ledger's performance was the performance of a lifetime, but the movie DRAGGED ON AND ON AND ON AND ON, and I'm sorry, but I still burst into laughter when Bale uses his gravely Batman voice.
Daniel Craig Bond movies.

Under:
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story. I thought this movie was hilariously funny and a nice spoof of the rockumentary sub-genre.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back