Orion 12 Gauge Launcher (flare pistol)

renegadecow

Sometimes you find yourself in a place so backwards you can't even own something as simple as a flare pistol. Well, not legally anyways, but at any rate I am in one of those backwards places. Instead of making a resin or even an EVA prop, I wanted it to be functional and durable enough to be used for airsoft (yeah, I'm one of those freaks who like to play weird scenarios) so I made mine out of PVC which is how I usually make usable rapid prototypes. I'll skip the whole method of construction but basically I cut up PVC pipes and form them as necessary to make flat sheets or curved shapes using heat and presses. Parts are built up in layers and glued together using industrial grade cyanoacrylate which forms bonds stronger than the parent material itself.

To start off I had to draw the pattern scaled from pictures off the net. I wish I had access to the real thing to be more accurate, but if I did I'd probably just convert that being $40 at most places. The basic frame is made of two flat panels bridged all around to make the thickness and the barrel is a 25mm (OD) pipe. Being an airsoft gun, it uses airsoft shells that use compressed gas as a propellant and is made in a way that it can in no way touch off live ammunition.
IMG_7030.jpg
IMG_7031.jpg

Details built up. Notice how the layers of PVC are clearly visible but disappear when sanded flush.
IMG_7033.jpg
IMG_7034.jpg
IMG_7035.jpg

The firing mechanism is a direct counter lever which pushes at the back of the loaded shell which is its release valve. The hammer is released by the trigger but is completely unrelated to its firing. The barrel is spring loaded shut like the real one.
IMG_7036.jpg
IMG_7040.jpg

Part way through the build I had this idea for it to play the chorus line of Katy Perry's "Firework" because reasons. So I gutted the grip area to fit this MP3 player which will be activated by the hammer as you cock it. Link to MP3 player: http://www.ebay.com/itm/260904623706?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
IMG_7041.jpg
IMG_7042.jpg

Painted and 100% functional, though I'm still waiting for that MP3 player to arrive.
IMG_7060.jpg
IMG_7061.jpg
IMG_7062.jpg

Thanks! For the holster I have a simple Uncle Mike's IWB for medium framed revolvers that fits it really well, but as I intend on using this with my post apocalyptic loadouts (think Viggo Mortensen in The Road), lashing it to the side of a rucksack would look better.

Wow, I saw your post of this in the "Show off your pistol" thread on ASF, I thought it was an actual flare gun that just happened to take airsoft shells, you didn't say you actually made the thing from scratch...

Very nice!

Sometimes you find yourself in a place so backwards you can't even own something as simple as a flare pistol. Well, not legally anyways, but at any rate I am in one of those backwards places. Instead of making a resin or even an EVA prop, I wanted it to be functional and durable enough to be used for airsoft (yeah, I'm one of those freaks who like to play weird scenarios) so I made mine out of PVC which is how I usually make usable rapid prototypes. I'll skip the whole method of construction but basically I cut up PVC pipes and form them as necessary to make flat sheets or curved shapes using heat and presses. Parts are built up in layers and glued together using industrial grade cyanoacrylate which forms bonds stronger than the parent material itself.

To start off I had to draw the pattern scaled from pictures off the net. I wish I had access to the real thing to be more accurate, but if I did I'd probably just convert that being $40 at most places. The basic frame is made of two flat panels bridged all around to make the thickness and the barrel is a 25mm (OD) pipe. Being an airsoft gun, it uses airsoft shells that use compressed gas as a propellant and is made in a way that it can in no way touch off live ammunition.
View attachment 461482
View attachment 461483

Details built up. Notice how the layers of PVC are clearly visible but disappear when sanded flush.
View attachment 461485
View attachment 461486
View attachment 461487

The firing mechanism is a direct counter lever which pushes at the back of the loaded shell which is its release valve. The hammer is released by the trigger but is completely unrelated to its firing. The barrel is spring loaded shut like the real one.
View attachment 461488
View attachment 461489

Part way through the build I had this idea for it to play the chorus line of Katy Perry's "Firework" because reasons. So I gutted the grip area to fit this MP3 player which will be activated by the hammer as you cock it. Link to MP3 player: http://www.ebay.com/itm/260904623706?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
View attachment 461490
View attachment 461491

Painted and 100% functional, though I'm still waiting for that MP3 player to arrive.
View attachment 461492
View attachment 461493
View attachment 461494
Posted my own thread. :)

Attachments

• 1630958230032.png
    1630958230032.png
    724.7 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back