Origins of the AA/SDS Armor

My opinion not being as knowledgeable as the others:

Ab Plate - The central box and buttons do not match the GF, nor do they match the publicity shot actually. The SDS is narrower, the ridges cut differently. The four button plate seems closer to the GF than the ANH.

Belt - The belt does seem to be new, it doesn't match either one as the gaps are wider, and the boxes appear a bit smaller in shape.

I agree that at least in that picture, the lower curvature of the AA chest plate looks pretty darn nice, but I know angle plays a lot in that. Not sure I totally understand what you mean about trimming the bottle of the chest. The chest has a defined lip that you really can't cut into... Please explain further if that is not what you meant.

I'm talking about trimming the rear edge of the bottom of that chest plate. The promotional ANH shot is quite thin compared to most fan suits. It was obviously overtrimmed. Most likely for comfort or something like that.

Originally posted by vaderdarth@Nov 9 2005, 04:51 PM
Oh yeah,  and if you trim the lower edge of the chest armor closer........it will look alot more like those ANH pics than most any fan suit.  Most are trimmed too little right there.
[snapback]1112916[/snapback]​

No amount of trimming is going to make it look like the original ANH.The AA and GF/TE are all rolled/curved inwards on the lower edge instead of being a sharp 45 degree angle.

I think the comparison pic shows that the AA matches GF 'almost' perfectly.The buttons are much bigger on the AA,but that's because they are buttons and not painted for some reason.The box that the panel sits on is just like GF's too.Not the 'out of square' shape of the original.

I should point out, I don't think these photo comparisons are conclusive of anything and I don't think anyone should base their final opinions/conclusions on them.

I look at it more like the grounds for a warrant...sort of like there's enough there to prompt further investigations but these images are crude and hardly concrete evidence. But in the absense of anything good to work with, I thought I'd take a stab at what we do have.

Ideally the best thing would be for someone to have both ab plates physically right there in front of them. Hopefully as more SDS armor ships the chances of this happeneing will improve.

Cheers.
TJ

I disagree, based on the photos we have been provided so far........not enough information due to the pic quality.

If GF armor were sourced from a real ROTJ suit.......you'd think there would be more similarity to the ANH proto.

This pics aren't telling enough of the story.

Dave :)

Originally posted by vaderdarth@Nov 9 2005, 04:32 PM
The SDS strip on the ab button plaque is a bit wider than that GF one

Oh and the belt is a new sculpt.
[snapback]1112902[/snapback]​

I'm working with some really crummy images here, I'll admit, but the two belts seem very close to me...

belts.jpg

This is taking two random images of each where no attempt was made to match angles or anything, scaling them (while maintainig the original aspect ratio for each) and they appear to match fairly closely. It'd be interesting to see two of the actual belts side by side.

Again, please take this food for thought with a HUGE grain of salt.

Cheers.
TJ

Originally posted by vaderdarth@Nov 9 2005, 06:06 PM
close but not close enough to say directly recast. 

Yup. That is exactly the point I have been making with respect to the photo comparisons. Think of these as the trailer for the movie. Let's wait until we see the whole show before we write our reviews.

I think this will be a much more productive exercise if both sides keep an open mind and don't just automatically shoot down whatever is put before them.

Cheers.
TJ

I am happy to provide good pictures of my TE suit if someone will do the same with their SDS suit. I snapped a few pictures this morning so I am ready when you are. It only takes a few minutes to take photos so someone with the SDS armor please come forward. From what I have seen so far from the bad pictures I think we can put the SDS original mold issue to bed. As far as the recast issue goes, I think it is clear that the ab detail itself is a new sculpt. I am still not sure about the remainder of the armor though.

Could someone please take better SDS pictures so we can finish this thread?

Pics will be better if the two are physically side by side.

ANH Trooper.....what you've just posted seems alot to me like baiting....forgive me if I took it wrong.

Dave

Originally posted by Ghost Host@Nov 9 2005, 06:35 PM
Whenever I receive my SDS suit I do plan to make some comparisons with my GF suit, and will take lots of pics.
[snapback]1112997[/snapback]​

Thanks GH. That will be our best bet in proving/disproving the whole recast debate and hopefully put it to rest once and for all. Wouldn't that be nice and a change from the norm?

Now we just need someone who has a real ANH suit to get an SDS suit and do the same thing... LOL Man... wouldn't THAT be nice. Poor guy would be MOBBED within second.

Whats needed is to start taking measurements more so than pic comparisons.

Until someone with a SDS suit can help out with this your never going to come to any conclusions.

Some people will always argue the point even when pic comparisons obviously show recast evidence. Case in point, the rib on the abdomen above the button box. Obvious recast of a non ANH part.

Hey vaderdarth,

Just a bit of fun mate...that's all :thumbsup

Clutch,

Luke's armour did not have the lip at the bottom of his chest plate.His armour was strapped slightly differently as he was too short for it.It would have choked him if he had the lower chest straps connected to the abdomin.

I kinda figured dude.........it's just that that stuff can be taken the wrong way and we'll be right back to heated arguments. Its best to just avoid that stuff at all cost.

Peace :)

Dave

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back