Original Tie Pilot Chest Box ..Where are they?

RBJ

Sr Member
After doing my thread on the original Tie helmets ( HERE ) I got to thinking.. So it seems most if not all of the Tie pilot helmets are accounted for. So where the heck did all the chest boxes (and for that matter armor!) go? Did they make matched sets or more helmets? Lets take a look:

Here is the original Shepperton box. Things to note:
-"flipped" ( wedge shaped) grey rockers
-two white, two blue squares
-three white ovals on top triangle (top triangle "backwards" of MOM?)
-third grey hose

box7sds.jpg

Now, here is the ONLY time a chestbox is EVER seen on screen. The running in the hall scene from ROTJ (supposedly unused footage from ANH..I know I have a better capture of this someplace). Things to note:
-"flipped" grey rockers
-three white ovals on top triangle (top triangle "backwards" of MOM?)
-third grey hose
box3rotjhall.jpg

Now lets go behind the scenes.
Cockpit shot. Most of the box is not visible. Things to note:
-flipped grey rockers
-ribs in middle of box
box3rib.jpeg

Hangar scene. Things to note:
-two white squares
-"flipped" grey rockers
-ribs in center of box
-no third hose
box4behind.jpg

Now to today. Here are the only two original chest boxes I know of:
Propstore display. Things to note:
-standard grey rockers
-no third hose
box2prpstoe.jpg

The LFL MOM display. This is the box most costumers try to replicate. Things to note
-top left square painted red
-standard grey rockers
-no third hose.
box1mom.jpg

Ok now that we have a good overview on chest boxes..where the heck did they go?

Any and all input and corrections welcomed!

I'm a huge tie pilot fan! The only costume besides Vader and Obi I would invest money in. That is strange. Where are the rest of the boxes and armor? Could they be in the archives?

Last edited:
Any idea what the original box was??? Or the size of the rockers and squares?

I have never ready any conversation about this anywhere....

The chest boxes were most likely vacuuformed by Ainsworth in black ABS, like he did the helmets.
The rockers on a Vader's chest box have been measured, and those are believed to be the same as on the TIE and X-Wing pilots' boxes. Some rocker switches on chest boxes in the archives have paint peeling off, revealing that they were made of wood - but those are probably late, made to mimic some older original part that wasn't available any more / in enough quantity.

This was posted in '07:
v_switch_05.jpg

The metal parts are Michell record player parts - and you will find Michell parts everywhere in Star Wars.
I think the cogwheel on the side has been identified too, but I can't remember what it is.
About the squares, I know only that they are about 1". Similar squares have been sold as toys, but that is just a theory.
I suspect that the round pips could be the same as on the Rebel officers' rank badges: the latter most likely being plastic covers over light bezels for instrument panels, like the rectangular ones on Imperial officers' badges.

Interesting to see the white pinstriping-tape peeling off in one of the pictures. That kind of tape is used for decorating remote-controlled model airplanes.

There is a lot more knowledge about it among people in the 501st Legion's TIE fighter pilot group. (but beware that there you could also find egos, self-proclaimed experts, close-mindedness and unwillingness to research further ... and not just there but in the large SW costuming groups in general)

Last edited:
Great info there Lars! Thanks

The boxes were ABS made by Ainsworth for sure. As to how many were made, I don't know.

I've only seen pics of ONE box from the LFL archives.. the MOM box above. Not sure if there are more.

I'd love to find out what the found part for the grey "gear" on the sides is..( I machined the master that Laws uses on his boxes out of aluminum after noticing the tooth count was off)

All the other info is spot on from what I've found in researching the chest boxes. As for the JRS 501st guys there are not that many interested in researching the original costumes, but they are a great bunch of people for sure! I pushed to have the screen accurate box ( dubbed the ROTJ box by the 501st) added to their CRL and they did without issue.

The chest boxes were most likely vacuuformed by Ainsworth in black ABS, like he did the helmets.
The rockers on a Vader's chest box have been measured, and those are believed to be the same as on the TIE and X-Wing pilots' boxes. Some rocker switches on chest boxes in the archives have paint peeling off, revealing that they were made of wood - but those are probably late, made to mimic some older original part that wasn't available any more / in enough quantity.

This was posted in '07:
View attachment 1253999

The metal parts are Michell record player parts - and you will find Michell parts everywhere in Star Wars.
I think the cogwheel on the side has been identified too, but I can't remember what it is.
About the squares, I know only that they are about 1". Similar squares have been sold as toys, but that is just a theory.
I suspect that the round pips could be the same as on the Rebel officers' rank badges: the latter most likely being plastic covers over light bezels for instrument panels, like the rectangular ones on Imperial officers' badges.

Interesting to see the white pinstriping-tape peeling off in one of the pictures. That kind of tape is used for decorating remote-controlled model airplanes.

There is a lot more knowledge about it among people in the 501st Legion's TIE fighter pilot group. (but beware that there you could also find egos, self-proclaimed experts, close-mindedness and unwillingness to research further ... and not just there but in the large SW costuming groups in general)
i've been digging through switches for other prop parts - I'll keep an eye out for rocker switches like these. Most go beneath the horozontal plane of the panel though

also, kudos on the model airplane tape. This is another place they most likely grabbed parts... hell the ANH Lightsaber motors were from Hobby RC cars

The switches were all wood.
The gear is a plastic part as been said. Id love it if it were found. Turntable gear maybe?
There are a few more boxes in the Archives than one. It may be hard to say for sure how many complete boxes were made but I'd guess 6-10.

The boxes were ABS made by Ainsworth for sure. As to how many were made, I don't know.

I've only seen pics of ONE box from the LFL archives.. the MOM box above. Not sure if there are more.
D'you mean ever? Or just that we can track today? Presuming the "running in the hall" shot from ROTJ is indeed re-used ANH footage (why not -- they used cockpit footage of the pilots), that's at least six:
1581017745072.png

I'd love to find out what the found part for the grey "gear" on the sides is.
How much of the greebling was done at Elstree versus by Ainsworth? The feeling I've gotten is "most". I'd look at what sort of equipment they had on hand that required frequent maintenance. I've seen gears like that on lathes and drill presses. Would vintage British camera dolleys have had them?
As for the JRS 501st guys there are not that many interested in researching the original costumes, but they are a great bunch of people for sure!
Sadly, not just that Detachment. :confused:

I meant boxes that exist today..

Gears in drill presses and lathes are metal..the one on the box is plastic ( I think!)

Geez, I have never seen these pics before, do you have more?
the 3 archive pics i have

box copy.jpg

Copy.jpg

this might be the helmet that had a repaint
also notice the forehead plastic with the door clips attached has been incorrectly put on the outside
i think rubies have copied this mistake on the newer tie helmet
it's also the helmet that they have on tour with the armour

copy tie.jpg

Attachments

• box copy.jpg
    box copy.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 265

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back