Original Tie Pilot Chest Box ..Where are they?

Also..check out those ribs between the switches and tiles

That helmet looks like its been painted for sure..you can see where the eye area appears to be taped off

oh there were just a few folks ages ago when they were first pointed out (2007 or so) that denied their existence

Yeah, I remember it too.
I think it was Piero from DoubleSS Props Italy who first incorporated these ribs into his chest box.
I bought mine back in 2010 from him...

335425-CB-D0-E8-441-A-9460-E4147-CE9-FE69.jpg

Yup. Piero is who discovered it first as far as I know. I think RS props did some ribbed boxes as well. Does anyone know if the prop store chest box has the ribs or not?

my RS kit had the ribs but i found out the 501st did not like them so i think RS changed them to no ribs
i did get a non rib replacement thanks to RS (y)

I feel like the ribs are shallower than some people think. The DS2 hangar set photo has a nice, strong overhead light source that shows them up nicely. Is the one geordietrooper took pics of in the Archives the same as the exhibition box? That is, did more than one get the upper left square painted red? And, if so, when and why? It was never that way in any of the OT films that I've noticed. And I can barely see the ribs on the MoM box.

The relief-comparison that overhead lighting allows shows the blue square to be a good double the thickness of the ribs. Their shadow is far fainter. Also, Piero has them extend all the way to the edge, past the rockers, when it looks like they not only end at the rockers, but taper down to them. Those end "riblets" he has on his past the rockers aren't there on geordietrooper's other Archive pic from that angle, for starters. But in general, the ribbing is less pronounced/shadowed next to them, and there isn't even slight ribbing visible in that original Elstree dress-up photo RBJ started out the thread with, or the higher-res running-through-the-halls pic. Even if the contrast is such that one couldn't see the ribs, if they're of uniform thickness, you'd see them against the first rocker. And we know they're there on the ANH boxes (and why I think the same half-dozen were re-used for the ROTJ hangar scene, rather than new ones made) thanks to that TIE fighter cockpit set photo.

To my eye, the ribs are only in the middle third, between the pinstriping and the rockers, and go from maybe 1/16" at most down to the flat background right where the rockers mount. I'm loving this thread. I'd gotten frustrated at my own researching into the exact detailing and proportions of things because of the paucity of decent high-res, high-contrast pictures or footage. Those Archive pics help a ton, geordietrooper. Thanks for posting them. :D

The ribbing may have been a result of stacking and laminating the wood which the original buck was likely made of.
The ribs go all the way around but are less obvious depending on sharpness of vac pull, etc. They aren't uniform in how they show up more or less.
Keep in mind the box in the Ainsworth pics is put together with the top backwards from how most others appear. So you are seeing the back of the top part.

I suppose it could have been deliberate but i very much think that's unlikely.
Ribbing appears all the way around. That's not speculation.

so it is speculation :unsure:
Im not trying to fight you on this. I know for a fact, and am not speculating that the ribs go all the way around. I dont wish to get into why.
If you are so set in your opinion, thats fine. I am not able to prove it to you. Im not trying to be combative and I realize that i cant ask you to take my word for it without proof you can see.
But thats the facts. When I say it and that I'm 100 percent sure of it, that's just me trying to steer the conversation towards the facts.

Im not trying to fight you on this. I know for a fact, and am not speculating that the ribs go all the way around. I dont wish to get into why.
If you are so set in your opinion, thats fine. I am not able to prove it to you. Im not trying to be combative and I realize that i cant ask you to take my word for it without proof you can see.
But thats the facts. When I say it and that I'm 100 percent sure of it, that's just me trying to steer the conversation towards the facts.

Using the pic on the first page, it's my assessment that this may have been intentional as it is clearly a unique and defined shape placed onto the vacuum form buck. It does not appear to be present on any other part of the box, at least on this one or on others I've seen in reference. Honestly if I had to take a bet why this is there at all, it is that it was originally meant to be used as a design element that was ultimately scrapped in favor of what it looks like on film.

I've squared off the visible edges of this portion. It's just a rectangular block. Honestly if it wasn't intentional it means Ainsworth didn't really care about making the bucks smooth...

1581109797652.png

Attachments

• 1581109795658.png
    1581109795658.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 63

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back