Original Golden Idol from Raiders here...

In that picture from the archives in this thread that shows the two idols (one with gold eyes and a frown and the other with human eyes and no frown), is it your opinion that the frowned idol is the refurbished, resculpted original from which the Hata cast was made?

I never really thought of it that way, but you may be correct. I have a feeling that there were multiple frown idols made when they did the casting for Mr. Hata.

Hmm. I def. don't doubt many casts were made over the years, and who knows about original sculpted idols after the fact, I think your right.

To clarify my theory is the following:

We know there were two surviving production Idols in the Archives (as stated by artoo77). One was the mechanical version with the moving eyes and detachable hair. I think it makes most sense that the other must have originally appeared identical to the Gober idol during filming, but was heavily damaged, particularly in the mouth area. It was the latter idol that was resculpted (to have the frown), cast by many and including a cast for Hata, and then both original idols were restored and vacuum-metalized.

Last edited:
Attached: HD screencaps, one 'original' and one lightened.

-Mike J.

Attachments

• RaidersIdol2.jpg
    RaidersIdol2.jpg
    608.4 KB · Views: 674
I wish I could figure out why the idols look so grainy on close inspection. Even the one Beloq raises looks all bumpy like its gold leafed even though it isn't. It could be the light playing tricks on us, but it makes me think its something with the underlying sculpt.

I have some wild and baseless speculation on that point:

Looking closely at the cap I just posted above, it seems to me that the body of the idol has a fine, hammered-metal-like texture, whereas the face appears almost completely smooth. If that's correct, I'm guessing the hammered-metal effect was deliberately sculpted into the idol, to make it seem more ancient and hand-made. I'm also guessing that the apparent fine grain effect on the face and head may have come from a dusting of some matte spray and / or dust, done during shooting for aesthetic reasons. All speculation on my part.

Also interesting is the OfficialPix image Franz Bolo posted on 5-30-2008. That seems to show an idol with solid gold eyes and black (painted?) pupils, which jives with what I think I can see in some of the 'action' scenes where a 'stunt' idol might have been used.

-Mike J.

Attached: an HD screencap of the idol Belloq holds aloft, un-touched and enlightened versions.

This idol seems to be rather heavily 'dimpled', and may also have gold eyes with black pupils. Discuss amongst yourselves.

-Mike J.

Hey Mike,

The hammered effect you are seeing is all the reflections from the jungle surrounding. From all the research I have done and stuff I have been told I believe this particular idol you are looking at is smooth on the surface under the plating, with no deliberate hammered effect done to the mold.

I have seen pics of a sideshow idol in a jungle type surrounding, you would not believe how much reflection from leaves, twigs, branches etc the idol catches on the shiny surface. It gives it that hammered kind of look you mention...

You are correct the idol did have painted black pupils! ;)

Hope this helps!

GeordieIndy

At first I thought it was the surface of the idol as well, but after looking at those pics again, I think GI is right on. If you look closely, you will actually see that what is going on on the face is actually reflections of the trees. I think the waves and bumps are created by a reflection of the sun poking through behind the leaves.

I had heard, from good sources, that the "belloq" idol was the stunt idol that was sevearly bubbled (from the plating process) and that is "texture" we see on the forehead.

This is what Jeff wrote somewhere on one of these threads:

"...I held in my hands two idols used during filming. One was solid 5 lbs with painted pupils and the other was light weight foam plated for throwing. It was the one where Indy tosses it to Satipo."

Hope this helps!!

Andy

This is what Jeff wrote somewhere on one of these threads:

"...I held in my hands two idols used during filming. One was solid 5 lbs with painted pupils and the other was light weight foam plated for throwing. It was the one where Indy tosses it to Satipo."

Andy

Wow, that very well could have been that idol that Jeff held. Pretty cool.

Correct, so what we don't know is whether they took the foam idol to Kauai for filming or not. If they did then this is the idol that Belloq holds up. If they didn't then the Belloq idol is the resin cast "painted pupil" idol with horrible bubbling in the plating.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back