ORCA From JAWS

pretzel399

Hi everyone,
I realize there is already a thread about this but it's 5 years old so I thought a new one might be seen more.
I apologize if I've done the wrong thing...:unsure

I'm trying to put together a little JAWS display and I wanted to have the ORCA included. My thoughts were to try to build a small (8" - 12") version using styrene. I was wondering if anyone had some general plans for it. I've seen that there are full-blown plans selling for $25 but they're for a much larger, much more detailed version made from wood with the option of adding RC to it.

Does anyone know where I might find something more basic?
Thanks whether or not this comes through! :)

MacFarlane did a diorama with a partial boat.
You could perhaps build the missing aft section?

2nd pic down

LOST ENTERTAINMENT: TOYS: JAWS COLLECTABLES

Jim
If he could find one, they're selling for a small fortune these days, especially if they're in mint or near-mint condition.

Personally I think you'd be better off and have much less of an initial investment by getting a copy of those "full-blown, $25" plans and scaling them down. Assuming they're accurate, that way you'd have the dimensions and measurements you need, and you could either go crazy with details or simplify your project as you see fit.

Thank you both Jim and Zombie. I wish I could afford some of the nice ORCA builds out there but they're out of my league. I'm going to keep looking and find out what I can do for myself. I've found a couple of "plans" pics off Google, maybe they'll be enough to get me by. I don't have a lot of time on my hands to do this so it will probably be an ongoing project. I really appreciate you both for helping me out. Thanks again. :)

I have been looking for a way to build an ORCA also. I find a lot of pictures, but, no one seems to know about a way to build one. I haven't found the plans that you mentioned. Can you let me know where to find them? I would build one out of wood, I'm working on a wood model now "the Albatross" by Constructo., I going to make it like the ship from the movie "White Squall".
If you come across some more info on a ORCA, can you shoot me a line and I'll do the same for you. Thanks..

Hi,
It depends on how you want to build it. You could build it in the fashion of a boat build, with frames and styrene planking. Alternatively you could shape a hull using styrene profiles and car body filler to create the hull (for either vacuforming or just as it is). If you don't want a model from keel upwards, you could build it from waterline upwards instead which would be cool if you're making a diorama. The ORCA was built on the frame of an existing Cape Island boat so I'd start searching for images of those and other "novi lobster boats". The plans of the ORCA currently out there are super inaccurate to be honest. Two great sources of info of the boat would be the film itself and the book "JAWS - memories from Martha's Vineyard". It has tons of great photo's of the ORCA. Hope this helps.

I found some cape island boat plans that might help you out. This is very similar to the ORCA and would need some straight forward modifications to make it screen accurate.
LobsterBoat1.png

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back